welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeezee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:

thanks for this, tom! i snatched it for facebook...

Him

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
I don't believe in throwing bodies at problems for the sake of honor, but assuming we were there for a good reason in the first place it does matter.
Found that Osama guy yet?
E-boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, and if we walk out of afghanistan now it'll be a bigger terrorst breeding ground than it ever was before. Sadly it'll probably contribute some terrorists one way or the other. Perhaps if it's not a complete nightmare of instability though folks will find something better to do than kill other folks.

I don't agree with everything that's been done or the way it's been done, but the fact remains we've made a huge mess and we need to clean it up. By that I simply mean not leave a power vacuum with a corrupt unstable goverment and shattered infrastructure just waiting to be pushed over by just about anyone.

Finger waggling about what the Bush administration did right or wrong (mostly wrong in my opinion) doesn't change the fact that we need to try and make things right.
Him

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
nope, and if we walk out of afghanistan now it'll be a bigger terrorst breeding ground than it ever was before. Sadly it'll probably contribute some terrorists one way or the other. Perhaps if it's not a complete nightmare of instability though folks will find something better to do than kill other folks.

I don't agree with everything that's been done or the way it's been done, but the fact remains we've made a huge mess and we need to clean it up. By that I simply mean not leave a power vacuum with a corrupt unstable goverment and shattered infrastructure just waiting to be pushed over by just about anyone.

Finger waggling about what the Bush administration did right or wrong (mostly wrong in my opinion) doesn't change the fact that we need to try and make things right.

Yeah those pesky terrorists and their US training. Sure, stability would be nice. Problem is the US (and NATO) idea of stability involves supporting warlords in the area. If I remember correctly not even the US observers said the elections were fair and democratic. That's not gonna cut it I am afraid.

And unfortunatly US presence have not and can not do anything of the sort. Sad but true. Instead the US are digging itself deeper and deeper down a hole. 8 years gone, billions spent, thousands dead and what for?
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you do or you don't think they'd be better off alone?
Him

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Who are "they"? The Warlords? If they would ever defeat the Taliban, with US help as it seems now, they will start tearing at each other the moment that threat is eliminated. So yes I think if you by they mean the afghan people would be better off without US backing of the warlords in the area. The "you broke it, you bought it" policy does not apply to countries. Of course there is a way out, but it has nothing to do with neither the warlords nor the US. One of the most fundamental problems in Afghanistan, seeing as they produce up around 80-90% of the worlds heroin is that the farmlands are under control by warlords. The very same warlords that now receive US support to create "stability". The warlords power can be broken when peasants can afford to not grow opium, and to do this they will, without a doubt, organize themselves and be able to defend themselves. The US, NATO, is not going to do this. They must do it themselves, because in the warlords power, the farmers and the opium fields, lay also the force strong enough and able to defeat them, and the taliban, and create a democratic and free Afghanistan. This might seem like a tough call, but the fact of the matter is that a) the US presence is generally opposed, primarily because b) they support the corrupt government made up of warlords which leads to c) the taliban suddenly get more support. An alternative must be created.
gally912

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever told you that you have no idea what you are talking about?
cause, yeah.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Who are "they"? The Warlords?
No. "They" are not the Warlords, and you know perfectly well what he meant.

Him wrote:
So yes I think if you by they mean the afghan people would be better off without US backing of the warlords in the area.
No. He didn't mean that either. And you know perfectly well he didn't mean that.

Can't you simply answer the question honestly instead of being disingenuous and bending everything toward a party line rant?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Him wrote:

Him wrote:
So yes I think if you by they mean the afghan people would be better off without US backing of the warlords in the area.
No. He didn't mean that either. And you know perfectly well he didn't mean that.

Can't you simply answer the question honestly instead of being disingenuous and bending everything toward a party line rant?

No, he cant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Him wrote:

Him wrote:

Okay to out this in as plain terms as possible, maybe so the point won't even escape Monkey here (although I admit it is unlikely he'd ever get it). The us army are supporting the Afghani government, th afghani government is effectively the warlords. Warlords =/= afghani people.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half serious here.

Being burned by Gally? Seriously Him, I thought better of you.
Mizike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam the Eagle wrote:
Half serious here.

Really?
Him

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
Sam the Eagle wrote:
Half serious here.

Really?

Wait, since when is "you don't know what you are talking about" an effective burn?
gally912

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

Wait, since when is "you don't know what you are talking about" an effective burn?

When it's true.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Michael wrote:
Who are "they"? The Warlords? If they would ever defeat the Taliban, with US help as it seems now, they will start tearing at each other the moment that threat is eliminated. So yes I think if you by they mean the afghan people would be better off without US backing of the warlords in the area. The "you broke it, you bought it" policy does not apply to countries. Of course there is a way out, but it has nothing to do with neither the warlords nor the US. One of the most fundamental problems in Afghanistan, seeing as they produce up around 80-90% of the worlds heroin is that the farmlands are under control by warlords. The very same warlords that now receive US support to create "stability". The warlords power can be broken when peasants can afford to not grow opium, and to do this they will, without a doubt, organize themselves and be able to defend themselves. The US, NATO, is not going to do this. They must do it themselves, because in the warlords power, the farmers and the opium fields, lay also the force strong enough and able to defeat them, and the taliban, and create a democratic and free Afghanistan. This might seem like a tough call, but the fact of the matter is that a) the US presence is generally opposed, primarily because b) they support the corrupt government made up of warlords which leads to c) the taliban suddenly get more support. An alternative must be created.

The afghanistan situation is a very complex and convoluted mess and the most common erroneous interpretations I see of that mess are erroneous because they engage in gross oversimplification of many of the complex cultural, sociopolitical, and military facets and concerns currently facing that region.

You have provided a fresh new angle to interpreting Afghanistan erroneously, as far as I can see, because instead of simplifying anything, you have simply replaced the real complex and convoluted mess with another complex and convoluted mess anticipating a 'clear solution' which is neither clear nor appears to be a workable solution at all.

I mean, exactly what are you working with here? A pastiche of paint-by-numbers projectable marxist resolutions veneered over the afghan social climate? The peasant proletariat rising up against the poppy-producing bourgeoisie? I don't think your appraisal of the situation is very clear at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: