welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Conscientious Sadist
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: The Conscientious Sadist Reply with quote

When is violence justified? Personally? Socially?

Corollary: when have you been violent (with or without premeditation)?
11bulletstop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to address the violence I've committed as a soldier and will answer this on a more personal level:

I'm willing to bet I see violence as being justified in more situations than most on these forums. I've instigated fights with another human being on the sole transgression of disrespect. In my youth I started fights based on money. I've bloodied noses for as little as $10. For me I don't view humanity as all that civilized. I try to be courteous and respectful to others as much as possible, but when I'm met with belligerance(sp?) and disrespect I react in the measure that I feel that will make the other person see things my way. To quote Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes(and I say this quite often) ".. a frank exchange of ideas."

I'm not going to let people walk all over me and do whatever they feel like they can get away with because it's exactly that: they're doing what they think they can get away with. I'm not going to let them get away with shit. It's the same thing with money: you can't let people walk all over you and let them do whatever they want. I believe that we should all treat each other with respect and courtesy and when you violate that, that tells me you're incapable of understanding anything other than consequences. Vae Victis.

Have I initiated violence when it wasn't justified even by my own point of view? Yes. I have a temper and sometimes it gets the best of me. There have been incidents where I don't even remember a fight immediatley after it's over with. I've had to piece together from context clues exactly why I was getting chewed out by an adult or family member. I'm glad to say I'm no longer like that. I haven't blacked out since junior high and I'd like to keep it that way.
\
There have been far more instances of just reacting on impulse without blacking out though, and I regret those as well. So far there's only been three instances where I hurt someone I care about but that's three too many. Those are the incidents I remember most: pushing my brother down on the ground when kicked at some ants I was watching(I dont' care about ants, WTH?), punching my friend Bobby in the stomach when he bumped into me in the hall, and slapping my friend Joseph in the face when he said something I didn't like. All impusles, all instantly regretted. I cried when I pushed my brother, I wanted to cry when I punched and slapped my friends. Shame. Guilt. The whole nine yards.

I'm rambling, I don't know how to finish this, and I want to stop.
Fin
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Conscientious Sadist Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
When is violence justified? Personally? Socially?

When she's into it.
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to Hollywood it's better than sex.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm willing to bet I see violence as being justified in more situations than most on these forums. I've instigated fights with another human being on the sole transgression of disrespect. In my youth I started fights based on money. I've bloodied noses for as little as $10.

Are you the guy who has been seriously recommended or mentioned being part of anger management therapy on this forum?
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a situation where violence is being committed on me or someone I love and I can see no way to stop that violence but committing violence probably. This in ways, I guess differs from the Dragynwryter credence in that if someone is punching my face in I will try and punch their face in as an attempt to distract them so I can get away to hide and/or call the police.

I have a great story in my youth about being more violent than the situation needed which I will tell when I am less drunk -- but worked it out via a theatre show, involving an Indigenous story about a snake.

I am not a violent man, but in reality I think, deep down, we are all violent men.

I have, being someone with a mouth on them, been in situations all my life where a smart arsed comment has resulted in someone committing violent acts upon me, and I would always be thinking 'all I said was words, why aren't they coming back at me with words?', but I guess people have to work to their strengths.

Personally though, I feel, if you are really going to hit someone in their face, wanting to do some damage, they should have done the same to you first, and alleged preemptive strikes are for people with no imagination, or with something to prove.
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribe to the Ender's Game theory of warfare: if you know a conflict is inevitable, defeat the other person first, as hard as you can, in such a way that they will never attack you again. Thus, I tend to pre-empt people yelling at me by sucker punching them, then kicking them repeatedly in the face once they're down. If they won't surrender or seem, for whatever reason, unable to signal their desire to do so, I'll generally finish by pooping in their mouth.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres something rewarding about the soft impact of flesh before hitting the hard rigidness of bone as you lay your fist into someone. For some of us the reward can come from either inflicting or receiving the impact. The adrenaline is what they really crave, more then the fight.

As for me, I tend to avoid conflicts if possible. Its part of my "good natured to a fault" take on life. Very few people have ever seen me actually hurt someone, then again very few people have seen me mad.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, who did you punch Nathan?
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been in a fight. Never been in a situation where it seemed likely.
zeezee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Never been in a fight. Never been in a situation where it seemed likely.

you're living a good life, dro.

well, except for that whole burning santa thing.

No Truth Only Lies

Location: That's for me to know, and you to find out should I tell you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to ask someone what one of my defining traits is they would simple say "rage." I'm an angry young man, what can I say? I can't remember the countless times I've clocked my brother in the head or just harrassed someone for an of the cuff remark about me. Maybe it's an inferiority complex, maybe I'm insecure, or maybe I'm just mad at the world for no reason, who gives a shit? I'm not the most intimidating guy in the world, but piss me off enough and I won't hesitate to smack ya in the face. On a personal level i.e. among common men and equals, violence can and possibly is the means to an end (frankly, some douches need to get their teeth knocked in, you know who I'm talking about), but something on a global scale like genocide or mass murder is something that should avoided at all costs.
No Truth Only Lies

Location: That's for me to know, and you to find out should I tell you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Fight Club: How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Truth Only Lies wrote:
To quote Fight Club: How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?

plenty. I've been in fights but I'm going to disregard the notion that they are an unapproachable tool of self-discovery.
11bulletstop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of other mediums to use to asess how much perseverance, courage, emotional control, ect., ect. that a fight could teach you. Hell, football(real football not soccer) could teach you most of it. Only two things I think fighting has got on other teachers: How will you act when you know you're gonna get your ass kicked and how will you act while your ass is getting kicked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: