welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misinformation ALERT: Famous People Giving Deadly Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Unnamed? wrote:
My impression was that the virus given was dead and that there were no side effects for those given the vaccination. One downside is that once you're given the vaccine, you're shedding virus for a while. I didn't get it because I'm a medical student and see patients at the hospital, but it's strongly recommended for pretty much everyone who isn't a medical worker.

Really? Over here the recommendation is for people who do work at the hospital.

same here at the cancer center - priority is being given to people with direct patient contact (both medical staff and researchers). around here, adults get the injected vaccine (killed virus) and the nasal one (weakened virus) is used for kids - i guess because kids are more likely to be happy sticking something up their nose than getting a shot.

as i understand it, both types are made in exactly the same way as the regular, seasonal flu shots; for that they mostly warn you if you are allergic to eggs (since those are used to manufacture the vaccine). i've only known one person who had adverse reactions to flu vaccines (and she had them with every vaccination, so she probably had problems with something in the process). outside a short-lived bit of pain in the injection site, i've never had problems with flu shots.

i really don't get the uproar - where are people getting the idea that the h1n1 vaccine is some whole new other dangerous thing?
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah. I never get a flu shot.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got a flu shot since I never got the flu since I was 4 or something.

Dunno if I actually don't get it or just don't get the right symptoms to diagnose it. Most of my family seem to be slightly cold blooded so that when I feel "feverish" I'm around 37-38 degrees :p
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
bah. I never get a flu shot.

Last year I had the flu like 3 times, despite getting the flu shot. It was about then that we discovered my compromised immune system.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb fucks. I really wish this would go away. Seriously, vaccines are a good thing when they have been properly tested.

And autism is generally genetic. Why can't they be working to bring awareness to the disease and how it can be treated?

Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Where's my adjuvant doctor? Reply with quote

Only when vaccines are "prescribed" on the personal (genetic) level, rather than the national level, will this this issue "go away."

Of course, there'll be a huge shitstorm if it's made mandatory.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .bah. I never get a flu shot.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey now, that was complications from an underlying condition!
E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a lot of people just feel helpless in the face of things they have no control of Mouse. Human beings are really good at creating stories that explain things, and give them hope (even if it's ridiculously destructive false hope). We're so good at seeing certain kinds of patterns we see them where they don't even exist. Those who would plant a bug in our ear about various things (politicians, rumor mongers, that sort) are no stranger to this human frailty and take full advantage. They don't need the truth, just public opinion. Something they are well aware can be manipulated.

Hell politics in the last eight years is one example after another of using fear to overcome evidence based opposition.

What anyone has to gain by conspiracy rumors regarding the H1N1 shot I don't know. Maybe just feeling as if they have influence or control over the events around them.

Hell, from what I've read H1N1 is just another variant of the big pandemic back at the turn of the 20th century. If you can't get people to take a vaccine for a comparably tame version of that virus what happens when a new and truly novel strain hits the human population? Say a mutated version of Avian flu with the capacity for airborne transmission? We would be well and truly fucked.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it's some weird variant of wanting control. i was watching something on the history channel the other night about nostradomus. everyone seems to really, really want to believe that he genuinely predicted the coming of various antichrists (even if they can't agree on who, exactly, they were), and the coming end-times. now, i figure - why would you _want_ to believe you are living in the end-times? even if you are convinced you are one of the chosen and will be lifted up out of all this (and i have to wonder how many of the doom-and-gloom believers don't have just a teeny-tiny inward suspicion that they are not) - why would you want to believe this is the Worst Of All Times, and Nothing Can Be Done?

i really don't get the mindset that buys into all of this.
E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be people who will believe nearly anything but the facts. Maybe reality isn't exciting enough for them.
E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an after thought one of the things that bothers me most about the whole anti-vaccine movement is that their decision not to get vaccinated affects more than just them.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh - just saw a teaser in the local paper. apparently, a newly published paper reports that people with autism have _lower_ levels of mercury in their blood than usual.

so much for the thimerosol-done-it theories. (not that this will stop them, since all the other studies to the contrary haven't.)
E-boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autism being a spectrum disorder and all it would seem to follow that there are multiple things that could lead to the spectrum of symptoms associated with it. Everything from genetics to environmental insults during development. Initially my reading on the autism/vaccine link alarmed me. Further reading provoked by discussions here reassured me quite a bit.

It's sorta funny to me that we have all this evidence piling up that pollutants occuring in amounts deemed harmless individually can interact to create major problems for animals and we sorta ignore that fact and blame individual culprits. One study using tadpoles showed that when any one pesticide introduced to their water at safe levels had no effect on them, but multiple pesticides, still at 'safe' concentrations, fucked them up beyond belief. It's worth noting that the average person in the states these days has detectable levels of at least 17 different pesticides. Add to that trace heavy metals in various amounts and any number of consumer product additives like phalates. I wouldn't be surprised if our little uncontrolled bio-chemistry experiment was having unanticipated effects.

All of this doesn't even address the fact that some researchers don't believe there is an autism epidemic so much as an improvement in diagnosing it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i really don't get the uproar - where are people getting the idea that the h1n1 vaccine is some whole new other dangerous thing?

That's exactly the problem, they don't know. I brought up the vaccine issue at work today and one guy said "Well I've been hearing some bad things about it."
I said "What things?"
"Well, bad things..."
"See? that's exactly my point."

I then went on to try to explain to him that part of the problem is people hear rumors or thought they heard "someone saying something" or some other poor, equally vague rationale and they take it as fact instead of looking into it more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: