Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hey --SCOTT!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: hey --SCOTT!! Reply with quote

FedEx Likes Being Treated Like a Corporate Princess

Quote:
Last year, the House of Representatives passed a bill reauthorizing the Federal Aviation Administration and devoting $70 billion to airport infrastructure through 2012. The bill also changed an inequity in labor law which has allowed FedEx to operate under the Railway Labor Act (RLA), while other shipping companies like UPS are governed by the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA).

The RLA poses larger barriers to organizing than the NLRA, which has enabled FedEx to prevent its drivers from collectively bargaining. So the company has invested a lot of time and effort into blocking the change, including characterizing it as a “bailout” for UPS....

any thoughts from the inside?
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FedEx dropped a refrigerator on me one time. True story.

I was loading a big ticket satelite truck, was in the underbelly of the truck, fridge came down the ramp into the truck fell off the track and landed on top of me in the belly of the truck.

And I was grateful for my job!
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thoughts I have are that fedex makes it clear to us in the ground division that it pays its drivers very well, subsidizes their fuel, maintenance, etc. (as opposed actually providing them) and basically coddles them in every way possible (mostly at the expense of hub and satellite personnel). it's obvious fedex tries very hard to stem any sort of unionized uprising. for good and bad reasons it seems, given that drivers are not employees. as far as I can tell the "independant contractor" makes up for the lack of investature by raking in a very hefty paycheck, and by literally owning their own routes and equipment. here's an article I found which points out the apparent benefits and pitfalls of the "small business model" being employed here.

http://www.workforce.com/section/06/feature/23/90/25/index.html

another article here highlights the wishy-washy behavior of fedex protocol in terms of the various tax and business laws.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601127&sid=aWe3DB2kmC.w

apparently the issue is treatment vs. claimed status. to what extent can fedex regulate (or not) pay, overtime pay, attire, and various other details of these (ostensible?) independant business owners?

the other question, for fedex, is how long will the contractor model (which self-regulates) continue to benefit them in terms of service and growth?
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another linked article from the page you posted:

http://www.americanrightsatwork.org/dmdocuments/ARAWReports/fedupwithfedex.pdf

lots of interesting material there. for instance, I did not know that even though the driver owns his or her route, fedex ground controls the route itself. it can reconfigure the route however it pleases and force the contractor to buy in.

also fascinating are the means by which fedex ground pressures drivers who threaten to unionize. strangely, I witness a lot of these same maneuverings when it comes to workplace injury.
Uncle Benny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for my confusion, but from what you are saying, are FedEx ground driver more like a franchise to a fast food chain where they actually has to obtain their own equipment?
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a big difference between the Ground & Home Delivery earnings? I constantly hear about how fucked up the compensation system for HD drivers is.
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Benny wrote:
sorry for my confusion, but from what you are saying, are FedEx ground driver more like a franchise to a fast food chain where they actually has to obtain their own equipment?

yeah, sort of. the trailers belong to fedex, but the actual truck is bought and owned by the driver, who is also responsible for its fuel and maintenance. fedex does however provide fuel and maintenance services, at a supposedly lower cost than anywhere else. also, drivers have to wear fedex uniforms and get fedex logos on their vehical. the upshot of all this is that the driver has made an investment, and can buy up more routes and sublet those routes to other drivers who of course pay the owner-operator. of course all these drivers have to be approved by fedex. there is a story in one of those links above about a driver who was hospitalized and didn't have a proper fedex driver to replace him on his route, therefore allowing fedex to find a replacement of their own, and not pay the primary, injured driver.
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
Is there a big difference between the Ground & Home Delivery earnings? I constantly hear about how fucked up the compensation system for HD drivers is.

I honestly don't know. something I read talked about service compensation, and pay per piece, but I have no idea if long haul drivers make more or less than home delivery.

the funny thing is, when it comes to loading trucks one of our primary objectives is to get as many packages into the trailer as possible, the goal being to eliminate unecessary transportation costs. it really doesn't accomplish much on a day to day basis, but theoretically if you get twenty more boxes into every load headed for DC, then you can fill one less trailer for every fifty. which is maybe one a week per hub.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reasonablymad wrote:
andrew wrote:

I honestly don't know. something I read talked about service compensation, and pay per piece, but I have no idea if long haul drivers make more or less than home delivery.

Several years ago when I worked at a truckstop parts/service counter I asked driver who regularly stopped by the difference between divisions and he said it was primarily pay rate and freedom of choice but that Fed Ex Freight usually paid the best rate for an individual route with Fed Ex Custom Critical (what he drove for) paying the best, BUT he said with the right routes one of the ground guys could make more money but it'd be a lot of more to coordinate. He never gave any figures other than "way better than industry average for O/O". If the caliber of truck he drove was any indication I'd believe it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: