welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belgian PM to be first president EU...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamnit, you guys. This is a serious thread for serious discussion!
Willem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does this always happen!

you guys!
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Snorri wrote:
Honestly, the EU is the most confusing thing ever. I know noone who has any idea as to what those guys do all day but shit there goes a lot of money towards it.

Of course, there's a shitload of money that comes from the EU, so it all balances out.

Of course there comes a shitload out of it. They're not some kind of mutants who feed on money, only about 6% of the budget is spent on actually maintaining it which I think sounds reasonable.

My comment about money wasn't eluding to them being money-slurpers, it was about how almost nobody has any idea on what the money exactly is spent on. Bureaucracy is irrelevant, it's about ignorance. I know that if I ask a hundred people on the street to name an European politician or a recent policy about 10 will be able to give an answer.

Willem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY Times wrote:
Mr. Van Rompuy (pronounced ROM-pow)

No, it's not...
Mizike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, it's actually pronounced Yertle.

E-boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belgians make yummy beer... As far as the adminstration of the EU it just seems to me like it must be an utter nightmare. Then again y'all seem better at implementing beauracracies that aren't rife with corruption and lack of oversight. Please come supervise the administration of the new american health care system... Oh and maybe help out with the whole Iraq/Afghanistan thing. If you aren't too terribly busy maybe give the government system for awarding contracts a good working over too.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
Then again y'all seem better at implementing beauracracies that aren't rife with corruption and lack of oversight.

Or we're just worse at implenting bureaucracies that are rife with corruption and lack of oversight.

I always figured that most politicians over here just aren't that ambitious in their corruption. They're thinking small. There is widespread corruption but it's simply not a lot of money compared to how much money the politicians are making and how much money is taxed and spent by the governments.

Anyway, the guys we elect for the parliament make about 102.000 euros a year (income tax 20%) and get a royal check to cover their expenses on top of that. Compared to the average income of 31.000 that's pretty fucking nice.

Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
That's true, it's actually pronounced Yertle.

I read somewhere that the proper way to say it was : Raymon Luxury Yacht.

Well, good for him, EU couldn't find anyone less known for it's figurehead. Not sure he'll have the necessary charisma to force the big states to tow in line. I see it as a wasted opportunity.

Quote:

At least one of the two Belgian kissers must be underage.

Marc Dutroux is out of jail?.
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not again, no.

Also, fun fact: With our PM off to the EU, I (and everybody else in Belgium) predict another political crisis in Belgium, which will last ages. Woo
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a conspiracy to never let Belgium have any political stability ever again.

Mizike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
I think this is a conspiracy to never let Belgium have any political stability ever again.

As opposed to that one time it had a stable, unified government?
Catel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Belgian PM to be first president EU... Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
... Britain shits self.

The Telegraph rants a bit.

The Daily Express froths at the mouth.

The Times forgets there are other people involved besides the British

The Daily Mail is remarkably civil about it, if we ignore the little bit at the end.

The BBC tries to sell Van Rompuy to their new target audience, British toddlers.

But yeah, next to the British press making great big fools of themselves (Though, to be fair, most of the mentioned papers are rubbish and probably not a good example of the British press. Except maybe the BBC), Herman Van Rompuy is the first president of the EU.

Good times? Not really, but there we go.

What did they think ? UK has always been AGAINST Europe and any form of common policy. They were seriously expecting this gift from Germany who holds the entire system on their shoulders for years ?

Belgium is the center of historic EEC, most of institutions are based in Brussels. This choice is legitimate. I just hope Mr Van Rompuy has more personality than the chiefs of state expect.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got elected cause he hasn't. When asked his opinion on something (I forget) the night he was elected he said "From now on, I don't have an opinion anymore". This is considered a Good Thing.
Much more than a US or Russian president the EU president is meant to be a representative. The whole EU is built around the sovereignty of the member states, the council is intended to be a reflection of their interests and the president is the council's representation to the outside world.

Blair's giant ego meant he was completely and utterly unsuitable for the position and nobody ever saw him as a real candidate.

(PS big words! Authoritative statements! I'm euro-Sam!)
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
(PS big words! Authoritative statements! I'm euro-Sam!)

Google says that means you are currently valued at 1.4856 U.S.-Sams.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
He got elected cause he hasn't. When asked his opinion on something (I forget) the night he was elected he said "From now on, I don't have an opinion anymore". This is considered a Good Thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: