welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heroes, Mythology, and Religion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, he asked a question?
LD!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. You took picture from city of heroes and mspainted word bubbles onto it.
Classy
nathan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christo wrote:
"It's like looking for darkness with a lantern."

Having read your comic I suspect you might be capable of finding it.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Heroes, Mythology, and Religion Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
go away, change your username.

but mouse! It's Christ-o! add an 's' and you could have it for breakfast!

am I a bad person for thinking at first it had something to do with paratech?
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a bad person for wanting to always be the last poster in this thread.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it goes back to my childhood childhood childhood childhood

I so can't wait to see if anyone knows that one
Puma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like sport, Yorick?
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huzzah!
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scary
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: I'm always late to the evisceration Reply with quote

Christo (sadly, not that Christo) is apparently Ethan somebody:

Seems to sum it up right there.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that machinimation-style webcomics worked. On the whole, they don't. The few comics i looked at from the OP are a great demonstration why. They look stale, lifeless, and eerily uninterested at actually looking at each other during conversation, instead having their paperdolls fixed on an abstract point in the foreground.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caption: "I AM REALLY FUCKING THINKING ABOUT THE FUCKING HEROES JOURNEY RIGHT ABOUT FUCKING NOW, YOU GUYS, HOW FUCKING DEEP!"

Jesus Christ, if you're a fucking film maker haven't you fucking covered this already?

I read the thread over at xkcd, and there was some really great stuff, especially the talk about Women Who Run With Wolves. I have heard of it, but haven't read it, because I'm really badly read, and it's really interesting the idea that a Womyn can't follow the hero's journey, when Dorothy (main example coming to mind) completely does to the letter.

I don't know what you want here that you didn't get at xkcd other than a whole shit load of posts going WAIT HOLY FUCK YOU'RE RIGHT SUPERMAN IS TOTALLY THE EXACT SAME FUCKING STORY AS JESUS YOU'RE SOME KIND OF FUCKING GENIUS DO YOU HAVE A BUMPER STICKER I CAN BUY?

well jokes on you, friend, because I don't own a fucking car.

WOAH.
Christo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
Fine I believe you. It was still a pretty brazen bit of self promotion in a forum not particularly well known for responding well to such things.
It's not intended to be. It's just intended to be a conversation starter, you know? I'm putting out an idea looking for a response.

E-boy wrote:
As far as mythology goes. Effective story telling themes show up over and over because A) they are effective and B) they were there to be borrowed.
Right on. I guess I'm just curious what makes them so effective. For example, many hero's stories have a sort of inadequate authority figure. Commander Locke comes to mind from The Matrix or The Master of Jordan in His Dark Materials (one of my favorites, and with a heroine, not hero). Why do so many cultures have that character?

And the thing that really interests me is the fact that isolated cultures that have never interacted with the outside world have that character and all the other components in their stories as well. It's intriguing, right? I mean, it would be like if we landed on Mars and discovered people who spoke English.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christo wrote:
It's not intended to be.
Please look at it objectively. You have a webcomic, probably not particularly popular, and, let's be honest, not particularly good. You post a link to your webcomic on the xkcd and sinfest forums, both of which are dedicated to very popular webcomics. Can you really not see that it is actually correct for us to conclude you're advertising?

Christo wrote:
It's just intended to be a conversation starter, you know? I'm putting out an idea looking for a response.
Not only is the link to your stuff the first sentence of your post, you simply copied your entire post from your site. Why would you link us to the exact same comment on your site when you copied it all over here? Why add the link at all? It is certainly advertising, because there's no other reason for you to post it.

Further, exposition on your site adding detail to your strip and starting a conversation on a website where you are not a regular are completely different situations. Your approach should be well different - simply copying your post over is a pretty good indication that the conversation is of secondary importance to your advertising.

Still further, you waste time mentioning that you posted on xkcd already, and that you were unimpressed with the responses you got. What the hell does that have to do with starting a conversation here? Why would we care that you seem to scorn what they had to say? It has nothing at all to do with hero typing.

Yet still further, you've just ignored posts which actually commented on the things you're claiming to be interested in discussing. How could you do that if you were genuinely interested in conversation?

You posted here to advertise, and are continuing to do so just so the link in your signature appears in more locations. You are resorting to shady means of gathering traffic because your webcomic just isn't good enough to attract it on its own.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christo wrote:
For example, many hero's stories have a sort of inadequate authority figure.
This is not surprising:

1) There are a lot of inadequate authority figures. It would make as much sense to be surprised that so many stories have an old guy who teaches you something.

2) If the authority figures were adequate, there probably wouldn't be any need for the hero.

Christo wrote:
I mean, it would be like if we landed on Mars and discovered people who spoke English.
In the same way winning a coin flip and winning the lottery can be described as "like" events.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: