welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Newfangled Gadget: A Love/Hate Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the new Kindle e-reader spurred me to play with a nook again (I was at B&N anyway). They've gotten to the point that I'd actually really like to buy one of the e-ink based readers.

Except, even post-DOJ price fixing investigation and settlement, whenever I search for something I want to read (that's not free public domain anyway), it's the same price or more expensive than an actual paperback, and easily twice as expensive as the used paperback version would be delivered. I get that printing the book is a fairly small portion of the price to produce a novel, but still... when I can pay LESS and get a real, physical book, how does it make any sense for me to buy the ebook edition? And by extension, how does it make any sense for me to get one of these devices? Even travelling by plane, I just grab a few paperbacks-I dont have to power those down for takeoff or landing.

I just dont understand how this pricing makes economic sense, is what Im saying.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think it's weird that a lot of e-books are just as expensive or sometimes even more expensive than paper back versions...

I still ADORE my kindle because it means I can read my terrible fanfiction in public and people just assume I'm reading something more professional.

I think I give myself away when I giggle weirdly, though.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem is that Apple and the e-book publishers were price-fixing to try and kill Amazon. They've been slapped for it and prices should change shortly.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope prices change - that's kept me from buying much. i got a kindle fire because i was going to be away for a week or so over christmas, and i could both surf the web and take a 'stack' of books without having to haul the actual books. and since my place is already stuffed with books, i really don't want to add more. but yeah, i look at the prices, and i head back to the library.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's slowly coming about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: