welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sinfest Bookclub February'10 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Sinfest Bookclub February'10 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Reply with quote

Let's do this again!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

It is even very cheap on Amazon! I will be buying my copy very soon, hopefully this week. It should be an intense ride.

That's right, a murder mystery and a possibly overpopular book. However, it has won many awards:

Quote:
Macavity Award Nominee (2009), Anthony Award Nominee for Best Novel and for Best First Novel, Glasnyckeln by Skandinaviska Kriminalsällskapet (2006), Galaxy British Book Awards for Crime Thriller of the Year (2009), Exclusive Books Boeke Prize (2008), Strand Critics Award Best Novel Nominee, Strand Critics Award Best First Novel Nominee, International Dagger Award, Barry Award Best British Crime Novel Nominee

Also, a movie will be released in the US on March 19th. It has already been released in other countries.

A review!

Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Cases rarely come much colder than the decades-old disappearance of teen heiress Harriet Vanger from her family's remote island retreat north of Stockholm, nor do fiction debuts hotter than this European bestseller by muckraking Swedish journalist Larsson. At once a strikingly original thriller and a vivisection of Sweden's dirty not-so-little secrets (as suggested by its original title, Men Who Hate Women), this first of a trilogy introduces a provocatively odd couple: disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, freshly sentenced to jail for libeling a shady businessman, and the multipierced and tattooed Lisbeth Salander, a feral but vulnerable superhacker. Hired by octogenarian industrialist Henrik Vanger, who wants to find out what happened to his beloved great-niece before he dies, the duo gradually uncover a festering morass of familial corruption—at the same time, Larsson skillfully bares some of the similar horrors that have left Salander such a marked woman. Larsson died in 2004, shortly after handing in the manuscripts for what will be his legacy. 100,000 first printing. (Sept.)

Did I mention she has Aspergers? Also it is a hefty book at 608 pages. Inserted is a lot of very serious material like state guardianship.

Perhaps next month we will have something more "intellectual". Stick around!

Edit note: I just read the rape section. Yes there is a rape, no it isn't at all graphic.

Last edited by Lasairfiona on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I might be in. I'll look for a copy this week.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the book! A couple of facebook people are interested in reading along too. If they have anything interesting to say about the book, I'll post it here.
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the book yet. I'll look tomorrow.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to say it but I doubt you are going to find it much cheaper than from Amazon - a book under $6 is pretty cool.
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

five finger discount uh huh uh huh that's what I'm talkin' bout bitches
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already read it, so I'm ahead of the game.

I'm in. I'll reread it with you guys.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured someone would have read it. I'm glad you are willing to reread it. Very Happy

I'm a few pages in and I feel like I should know more about Sweden's political history to really _get it_. But the first few pages that set up the mystery are nice (I like flowers) with plenty of details to make a strange but simple scenario actually interesting.

Black Kitty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sinfest Bookclub February '10 Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
there may also be some very graphic rape scenes

Celaeno - is this true? I'm down for a book club, but rape is a big no no.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind rape in a book IF it furthers the story line. Often any sex in a modern book is tacked on to grab an additional demographic. I don't know about the rape for sure but someone in a review said something about it an I thought it worth mentioning.

Chris is of the impression that the book already drags. I think he said that the first chapter or 2 was a guy walking around "with his dick in his hand" and "it's like someone is telling you about a movie they are watching." I think the organization of the story is a bit routine and the words could be better but I am not sure if I can blame the translation as it is the perspective that the story is written in, specifically when we are introduced to the girl with the tattoos. But the first few pages were excellent though perhaps that was also because of the premise rather than the actual writing. So I look forward to more passages like that.

BUT it is already picking up (I'm only up to like chapter 3) and I rather like mysteries. Chris agrees that it is picking up. I don't think anyone on facebook has started it yet but I'll keep you updated.

Sam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will start reading this!
Puma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sinfest Bookclub February '10 Reply with quote

Black Kitty wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:
there may also be some very graphic rape scenes

Celaeno - is this true? I'm down for a book club, but rape is a big no no.

Same here. It may well serve a valid dramatic purpose, but certainly don't need to read graphic depictions of that.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rape yet.

The mystery is starting to unfold and it looks like the interactions between people are going to be interesting. Our dragon girl is getting into some trouble and sure enough, the political commentary on the status of legal guardianship is a bit extra. However the subject is also very bothersome so I can see why the author would want to include it even if it isn't totally necessary to the story.

Him

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't really jumbed onto this Stieg Larsson-bandwagon. He's selling ridicolously well here in sweden. Turned into movies and whatnot. but yeah, I guess I should check it out. A shame he died before he got his breakthrough. He was one of the founders of expo, a great magazine keeping check on the far right.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Wanted to read that one someday. Will buy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: