welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Socrates was a Christian III
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 197, 198, 199 ... 205, 206, 207  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canopus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But developmental verbal dyspraxia is like a get out of jail free card.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Are you British? We call it apraxia in the US.
Canopus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I am, though I do drop by on occasion. I just used the spelling I'm more familiar with.
Canopus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked with some friends and was shocked that they believed Aboriginals were considered African. I was under the impression that Aboriginals are more genetically similar to Europeans than with Africans. There was some said, and much to be said on, of the blackwashing people of dark skinned people with divergent origins.Could have been addressed earlier in this thread.[/quote]
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is NOT a business notebook--it only has 4 (yes four) GB of ram and is not upgradeable. This is an email machine.

pfffffft

what do business folks even do on computers, anyway? emails and spreadsheets?
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has a work laptop... It has a 4Gb spreadsheet of every product his company carries, their cost, MSRP, and other info he needs to close sales. He uses a cellular WAN connector to pull down 3D models to show people.

Also he sends me links to cat videos via emails that include a disclaimer that their contents are proprietary. Which is why I never post them in the YouTube video thread. Sad
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop only has 4G and I used to run Photoshop CS5 on it regularly...
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/04/16/the-ice-age-in-the-bible/
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two guys having a deep discussion on the physics of celestial motion. A person at the next table busts in to tell them their theories are wrong - that intuition is the way to true knowledge and that love is the only true constant. Bless them, they were polite, but man... I just about flipped my shit when the interupter said, "My intuition tells me the universe is powered by love, and God is the reason the Earth spins and never stops."

I thought about jumping in to mention the Earth is definitely slowing down (we measure this shit everyday with the VLBI, etc), but I don't need that kind of grief.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm trying to think of a whole list of things where your intuition is clearly wrong...but someone like that is a proselytizer, and not to be dissuaded by reality.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/04/16/the-ice-age-in-the-bible/

i love it! you can spend _hours_ picking out all the sillinesses in that timeline!
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Two guys having a deep discussion on the physics of celestial motion. A person at the next table busts in to tell them their theories are wrong - that intuition is the way to true knowledge and that love is the only true constant. Bless them, they were polite, but man... I just about flipped my shit when the interupter said, "My intuition tells me the universe is powered by love, and God is the reason the Earth spins and never stops."

I thought about jumping in to mention the Earth is definitely slowing down (we measure this shit everyday with the VLBI, etc), but I don't need that kind of grief.

For ages this was considered fine. Descartes is still remembered today as a smart guy, even though everything he ever wrote is based on this kind of premise
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canopus wrote:
Talked with some friends and was shocked that they believed Aboriginals were considered African. I was under the impression that Aboriginals are more genetically similar to Europeans than with Africans. There was some said, and much to be said on, of the blackwashing people of dark skinned people with divergent origins.Could have been addressed earlier in this thread.
[/quote]

QI quoting here, but "aboriginal" was originally applied to every "native" since the romans so you're gonna have to be more specific than that Smile
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
My brother has a work laptop... It has a 4Gb spreadsheet of every product his company carries, their cost, MSRP, and other info he needs to close sales.

4GB of mission critical data in a spreadsheet? That should never happen. Even if computers with specs 100x what they are today were common, that should never happen (except perhaps to use the spreadsheet as a convenient way of looking at the contents of a database).

I'm not really surprised that it does, though.

I've been thinking for a while now that they should start including some basic computing skills/knowledge in the requirements for business degrees. Certain aspects of my life would be somewhat easier if they did this.

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i'm trying to think of a whole list of things where your intuition is clearly wrong...but someone like that is a proselytizer, and not to be dissuaded by reality.

Yeah, their evidence consisted of, "I know it in my heart," and, "you can't disprove my intuition."

Michael wrote:
For ages this was considered fine. Descartes is still remembered today as a smart guy, even though everything he ever wrote is based on this kind of premise

Snorri and I just had a drawn out conversation about this somewhere totally off topic, and it was the first thing I thought of when I started listening in. Except Descartes would never have accepted,"I know it in my heart," as proof without first writing 200 pages about why you should believe a goddamn thing your heart tells you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 197, 198, 199 ... 205, 206, 207  Next
Page 198 of 207

Jump to: