welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Socrates was a Christian III
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206, 207  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Jesus it's like fursecution all over again but worse.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some cases, these are literately the children of furries.

Just let that sink in for minute.

Furries have been a thing long enough that their kids are using the interwebs as adults (or at least teenagers)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Just let that sink in for minute.

Furries have been a thing long enough that their kids are using the interwebs as adults (or at least teenagers)

That's pretty understandable. Some furry publications and stuff go back to the 80's at least, and some people who join the fandom are already adults. It's not a particularly 'new' thing, the internet just made it more popular.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the following growl is directed at you
*grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
the following growl is directed at you
*grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

At me, or someone else?

Also, just out curiosity, why?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone tries to tell you "the Lancet classified fluoride as a neurotoxin," you have my permission to punch them in the neck.

1. The Lancet is an academic journal, not a government agency, they don't classify anything.
2. Attributing the position of an author to the journal as a whole is like saying your public library hates Jews because they have a copy of Mein Kampf. The views expressed in an article are solely those of the authors.
3. Attributing the position of this author to the journal would be difficult because two months later they published like a half dozen responses poking holes in the original article, including that in some sections the authors cited only their own work, and that in others they included some data from papers but left out other data from those same papers that didn't support their position.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was a little distracted this morning. is there a sudden rash of fluoride-blamed neurotoxin incidents?

oh, wait, this is probably someone protesting fluoridation of water, right?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon, we all know flouridation saps our precious bodily fluids.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it suddenly invaded anyone else's life, especially since the original article is a couple months old, but it suddenly appeared on my Facebook wall a couple times in one day. If I weren't house sitting for my sister she might be really pissed off at me for picking the article apart when she endorsed it.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lancet is a pretty neutral publication, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're very good. One of the best medical journals on the planet.
But even the best journals sometimes let crap through the filter. A previous high-profile mistake in their history was the Andrew Wakefield MMR Vaccine = Autism thing, which appeared as a small segment of a larger paper but still should have been caught in the peer-review stage prior to publication.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the journal depends on peers to be the gatekeepers. A journal like the Lancet is likely to get great researchers to agree to review its articles, but it depends on them to be thorough. And sometimes stuff just happens. They publish one journal a month, with (off the top of my head) about 12 articles each. Eventually one or two is bound to be erroneous. It's just unfortunate that the Lancet has managed to publish this one that is like catnip to the alternative medicine crowd after the Wakefield incident.

On a side note, no one understands research, no one understands what is and isn't evidence, and no one understands logic. That's my conclusion from the last few days of talking to people about fluoride and apitherapy.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
no one understands research, no one understands what is and isn't evidence, and no one understands logic

I know I've posted about this before, but I've had people argue to me that logic+math are not useful tools for building helpful models of the world and claim that history and all of the great achievements of reason supported this absurd position, as though we put a man on the moon without having a working model of physics, or eradicated polio without having a functional germ theory of disease.

I'm not sure that they quite understood that those were the full implications of what they were saying, though.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. In my discussion of apitherapy the proponents kept linking to articles that were computer models or mouse/rat models, some of which actually said the therapy wasn't effective. But when we pointed out that almost none of their links supported their arguments* that it worked on people we were told "it's always like this with allopaths, no evidence is good enough when it comes to alternative treatments." You haven't shown any evidence yet!

* It's been shown to be mildly effective for frozen shoulder, but people say it slows aging, cures arthritis, and a bunch of other stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206, 207  Next
Page 205 of 207

Jump to: