Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The (other) Nuclear Option
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...you want to shift the focus away from biogas to biofuels, one of the single most overdiscussed fuel replacements, by shoving me a VC prospectus? Thanks.

Is this your convoluted way of admitting you have no fucking idea what you're talking about?
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, when did you become an expert on nuclear sustainability?

I suppose you don't find an actual problem with the Price Anderson Act?

I attempted to give you an article with public access, not restricted by research institutes or universities.

The fact that you don't seem to understand that biofuels have a huge research and economical potential that is vastly unexplored, compared to the relatively well known and over funded nuclear power "incentive" is rather annoying.

And don't confuse focus with scope. I'm well within mine.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: The (other) Nuclear Option Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
Obama is throwing some cash at new nuclear plants.

Good move? Would the money be better spent on wind/solar/etc? Should we have a plan to deal with the giant radioactive ants sure to run rampant? How long until the next Fallout game is released, anyway?

Weigh in, WHILE THERE'S STILL TIME!

I think that first sentence gives a bad impression of what is actually happening.

Obama isn't throwing any money at nuclear plants because he personally wants to, he's playing the politics game.

He's trying to deal with the existence of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, while attempting to pass new legislation for "clean power" a compromise of sorts to gain more (R) votes. Killing 2 birds with one stone sort of thing.
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're answering questions I haven't asked, instead of answering the one I did ask! I feel like we have a term to describe that. Something about a logical fallacy.

Relevance of Price Anderson to my question: unsurprisingly, none.

Bring on your restricted info.

And, well, since I was the one who defined the scope by asking the question in the first place, your notion of what it ought to be doesn't matter to me.
tinkeringIdiot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
B. It's easier to deal with/clean pollutants than nuclear waste.

Give me some examples here. Show me how easy it is to deal with/clean CO2, NOx, sulfur dioxide, or methylmercury after it has been released en masse into the atmosphere. I'd take a nice, dense, nonvolatile, radioactive pollutant over an airborne one if I were the one cleaning it up.

Have you actually looked into this issue or are you going off atomic age pop culture anecdotes?
Night Spade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radioactive waste emits radiation which is a type of energy right? so why can't we come up with a way to harness that energy?

And if the radioactive waste no longer emits enough energy anymore, it might be safe enough to dispose of safely.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Spade wrote:
Radioactive waste emits radiation which is a type of energy right? so why can't we come up with a way to harness that energy?

That's what reactors are for. Unfortunately you need a lot of radioactive material, or modest amounts that are extremely radioactive, to cachesh in on that. A bit of uranium dust spread over an empty field isn't going to run a flash light.

Quote:
And if the radioactive waste no longer emits enough energy anymore, it might be safe enough to dispose of safely.

Fuel material that's spent to the point it's no longer an economical source of energy is usually still too radioactive to be safe outside some kind of shielding. You don't want freshly exhausted uranium pellets sitting around in your ground water.
nathan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: The (other) Nuclear Option Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Obama isn't throwing any money at nuclear plants because he personally wants to, he's playing the politics game.

He's trying to deal with the existence of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, while attempting to pass new legislation for "clean power" a compromise of sorts to gain more (R) votes. Killing 2 birds with one stone sort of thing.

A) is it reasonable to expect (and would HE expect) that ANY republican votes can be garnered, on any major issue, given what we've seen so far?

B) has he been against nuclear power until now? and isn't he hopping on the Chu-chu train of thought?
nathan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinkeringIdiot wrote:
though a volcano has the added benefit of being able to hurl things inside of it into the upper atmosphere...

"Mr Travolta... it's the President on the phone. THEY NEED YOUR HELP"
Night Spade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Night Spade wrote:

That's what reactors are for. Unfortunately you need a lot of radioactive material, or modest amounts that are extremely radioactive, to cachesh in on that. A bit of uranium dust spread over an empty field isn't going to run a flash light.

Quote:

Fuel material that's spent to the point it's no longer an economical source of energy is usually still too radioactive to be safe outside some kind of shielding. You don't want freshly exhausted uranium pellets sitting around in your ground water.

Thanks for explaining, as you can guess, I'm no expert in the field.

So what they need now is some way to 'squeeze' more radiation from the waste thus making it more useful as a form of energy and once it is drained then it could be finally safe to dispose of.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not engineering; the problem is physics.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YA CANNA CHANGE TH LAWZ OF PHYSICS CAP'N
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how Thy jumps into a thread, posts idiotic things that are never directly related to the question at hand, then accuses everyone of willfully misunderstanding him, and then vanishes never answering the questions that others clearly laid out.
The Highlord

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vox Raucus wrote:
I love how Thy jumps into a thread, posts idiotic things that are never directly related to the question at hand, then accuses everyone of willfully misunderstanding him, and then vanishes never answering the questions that others clearly laid out.

In his defense, he might not visit the forum as periodically as others.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: never fails to amaze me how little respect for time there is Reply with quote

Vox Raucus wrote:

It's not like I have a job, go to college, run a club, and you know, have a life outside the forum or anything like that.

Accusations?

I provided links relevant to the conversation.

Oh, you must be referring to my use of asides.

As an aside, I'm not fond of your biased exaggerations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: