welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Youessians go here
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Youessians go here Reply with quote

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/textbooks/?rc=tw

And speak out against revisionism
nathan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing effects change like email!
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, the texas curriculum change IS undeniably retarded and it WILL put a stamp of certification on all those ungainly Texas stereotypes for the next 20 years because it's quite honestly bugfuck retarded, but this rates about at "Internet petition" on the continuum of effective measures for change.
Korendir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least there (probably) won't be this kind of madness next year.
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Nathan, c'mon Sam. Of course internet petitions and mails won't make a change. They do manage to inform people about it, which is a step, at least.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korendir wrote:
At least there (probably) won't be this kind of madness next year.
that's moderately good news
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
C'mon Nathan, c'mon Sam. Of course internet petitions and mails won't make a change. They do manage to inform people about it, which is a step, at least.

There's better ways to do that, that site is p. oddball.

"texas taliban"
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: SHOOT ME NOW Reply with quote

Oddball site or not, it lets you send emails to publishers. The books are being changed because of a small minority of idiots taking an interest, so you really can't counter saying your voice won't matter.
These are text-book publishers we're talking about, if they get a 100 email complaints it'll be a lot.

(Can I go all the way here and say I like the description "Texas Taliban"? Small group of local warlords, very religious, family/town based, no centralised control but small local initiatives from people with shared ideologies...)
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dislike comparing our relatively mild religious extremists to people that actually murder, traffic drugs, and bomb the shit out of institutions they don't like. Not to say we don't have our share of religious whacko murderers and a few genuine terrorists here and there, just not on the Texas BoE. I feel the same way with all the readiness people display in comparing X to the Nazis.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there has to be some way to effect change, though. they keep saying that texas has this huge influence because of the number of textbooks they buy, and it's true, they are the second largest state - but that still only gives them about 8% of the U.S. population. and i'm hearing that 80% of textbooks will be influenced by the decisions of the texas boe! that's just ridiculous.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sure, if other states were to simply not buy textbooks that were written in accordance with the Texas Board of Education's guidelines...
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

publishers are whores (who have been fighting rising costs and competition for about 25 years).

my sister used to work for a major textbook publisher, in part doing annual school board focus groups in Tx. she'd spend at least a month down there every year. work the big market, get their buy-in and everyone else will be glad to save a few dollars per cover when the publisher can mass-produce a single edition for all.

i've heard that boutique publishing is becoming more fiscally feasible but i will be very surprised if many public school systems have the funds to go that route -- state-wide, even a moderate and reasonable price difference translates to a tidy sum.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what you are saying is, it is financially better all around if there are relatively few versions of a given text book, which everyone then buys - and i don't disagree with this. the issue is, why does texas get to set the standards? why not california? we are, after all, the largest state. why not a consortium of states from around the country - granted, it might be harder to get agreement, but you might get a more equitable result.

why, in short, was your sister sentenced to spending 1/12 of her life in texas, and not anywhere else?
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering how Texas thinks its school districts can afford to buy all these new textbooks with all their new-fangled revisions.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I really dislike comparing our relatively mild religious extremists to people that actually murder, traffic drugs, and bomb the shit out of institutions they don't like. Not to say we don't have our share of religious whacko murderers and a few genuine terrorists here and there, just not on the Texas BoE. I feel the same way with all the readiness people display in comparing X to the Nazis.

Instead we get religious extremists that emotionally browbeat their children, molest children, blackball people from being able to seek employment, cut people off from their friends and family who are not part of the church, bomb and harass doctors and clinics who perform medical procedures they disagree with and incite violence to be performed by OTHERS while pretending their hands are clean.

Its better...but not really by much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: