welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[fucked up]So...uh, that wikileaks thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's starting to drool onto major news sites.

frontpaged on msnbc already.
Willem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox too

edit: but you all knew that, didn't you?
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, and like a good american I'm already watching the classy response on Free Republic

~*CONSERVATIVE OWN ZONE*~

Quote:
The dead Reuters photographer was a propagandist for the insurgents and their terror campaigns. Do a search on the photos he took for Reuters before he bit the big one and you’ll see.

Quote:
Are those the 2 Reuters employees who used to Photoshop extra bombs and explosions into news photos to make Israel and the USA look bad?

If they got killed, serves them right.

If they DIDN’T get killed, then they should just Photoshop the 2 killed Reuters propagandists back into this video, and they’ll be alive again!

It’s the magic of Reuters propaganda — anything is possible. There is no truth.
nathan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping wikileaks keeps its head above water for years to come.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Highlord wrote:
So it's okay that the gunner lies about being shot at in order to expedite clearance to "return" fire as opposed to waiting for the nearby patrol to arrive and see what's up?

No it's far from okay, but the idea that of a clean fight where these things don't happen is a fairy tale. Every book ever written about any war anywhere shows how it's madness. Compared to the horror tales we've heard this is mild.
It's an inevitable consequence and its something you know is going to happen and so I don't understand the urge to lie about it. It's like a surgeon saving your life by sawing your leg off and then pretending it's still there.

Please don't think I am fine with this. I hate it so much I'm pretty much a full blow pacifist simply because I don't know how to make a decision that involves life or death, because I don't think I could take one life to save ten. I Imagine military people are more or less okay with this. Anyone who drops a bomb from a plane is more or less okay with this. Anyone who orders the plane to go do that is more or less okay with it. Anyone who orders an army to fight knows that not all bullets are going to hit their targets and that not all soldiers will turn out to be honest, righteous, wonderful people.

I'm fairly sure everyone in the pentagon, at some stage, has had this debate running in their mind.
And that's why I don't understand the cover-up.

They can have the small disaster of this getting out as and when it happens, in the heat of the fight, or they can have the major disaster of this being outed later. Even if this turns out to be the one thing a US soldier has ever done wrong it's going to make the pentagon look like a giant secret stash of covered up videos.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And PS sorry for not reiterating my initial point stronger in that 2nd post.
-1 for writing skills
Willem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentagon is a bit paranoid about coverage of its wars, since Vietnam. That's the reason for the whole 'imbedded-journalist' thing and all those measures. They just want to kill in peace, guys!
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: "Gradius made them do it!" Reply with quote

From Fox:

Even if they can't blame liberals for this happening, at least they found a way to harp on one of their favorite demons!
Mizike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New York Times finally has it on their front page.

It also has this super-classy quote from centcom

Quote:
Late Monday, the United States Central Command, which oversees the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, released the redacted report on the case, which provided some more detail.

The report showed pictures of what it said were machine guns and grenades found near the bodies of those killed. It also stated that the Reuters employees “made no effort to visibly display their status as press or media representatives and their familiar behavior with, and close proximity to, the armed insurgents and their furtive attempts to photograph the coalition ground forces made them appear as hostile combatants to the Apaches that engaged them.”

Lousy reporters didn't show our aerial units their press badges. What else could we do?
Mizike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fun Army-ese from a month ago:

The NYT wrote:
To the list of the enemies threatening the security of the United States, the Pentagon has added WikiLeaks.org, a tiny online source of information and documents that governments and corporations around the world would prefer to keep secret.

The Pentagon assessed the danger WikiLeaks.org posed to the Army in a report marked “unauthorized disclosure subject to criminal sanctions.” It concluded that “WikiLeaks.org represents a potential force protection, counterintelligence, OPSEC and INFOSEC threat to the U.S. Army” — or, in plain English, a threat to Army operations and information.

WikiLeaks, true to its mission to publish materials that expose secrets of all kinds, published the 2008 Pentagon report about itself on Monday.

Katrin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standing next to insurgents to take pictures? It's terrible that innocent people died but really what do you expect?
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katrin wrote:
Standing next to insurgents to take pictures?

"No gang signs! this isn't going on your Myspace, is it?"
kame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shaking with rage. Tear it down, tear it all down. The government that can't or won't take a stance against the atrocities carried out in it's name. The military that allows and tacitly encourages murder with no provocation. The citizenry who is so brainwashed by it's own self importance and education that they can still say with a straight face that their country has been a force for good in the last 60 years when all it has done is jeopardize the peace and stability of the world for its own ends. Tear down it's useless wars against personal freedom and ideologies. Tear down corporate lobbies with their hands up spineless politician's assholes. Tear down the prison system that makes criminals of the poor and disenfranchised, using them as slave labor. Tear down all the media conglomerates who mold the truth to satisfy their bottom lines and give us journalists too stupid and craven for attention to know opinion from fact.

America is rotten to its core, burn it down and start over.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool man, but you totally misused an apostrophe.
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
kame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was asking for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: