welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

04/06/10 - the meek shall inherit the BRAAAAAAAINS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I love it when a member of the majority pretends to be a battered minority. It must be so hard having your faith in common with 78.5% of Americans. I know it's tough when you're in a crowd and you look around and realize that only 4 out of every 5 people have beliefs similar to yours. It just makes it that much more painful when someone of an unexpressed faith - who has a 78.5% chance of being Christian - makes a comment that, if it were about, say, anything else on the planet would be considered a harmless joke... but you just know, deep inside, that everyone (except the 4 out of 5 people who share your beliefs) hates your religion, and that person (who is more likely than not to share your beliefs) is quietly mocking you... and no one will stand up for your right to have religious monuments in government buildings or prayer in public schools. Where is the equality when you can't even say "Merry Christmas," anymore, but must now say, "Happy Holidays?" How is that equal, when only 1 in 5 people celebrates anything other than Christmas anyway... and don't all of them hibernate from November through February anyway?

Plus, people of your religious faith know what it's like to be bashed, and how wrong it is to hate someone on the basis of faith. Christians would never do that.

this is the internet forum equivalent of freezing someone using the dark powers of the Lin Kui and then ripping their spine out.
Willem

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love how paratech is basically trying to say 'you're all cocks for insulting my religion. you could at least insult some others too. like that one. yeah that one. insult it. you won't? you just hate christians!' and i love how retarded that is

love it
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he's not a Rosicrucian. Those fuckers.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
i love how paratech is basically trying to say 'you're all cocks for insulting my religion. you could at least insult some others too. like that one. yeah that one. insult it. you won't? you just hate christians!' and i love how retarded that is

love it

hey hey zoroastrians, you guys suck.

OH YEAH WHAT NOW PARATECH
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:

love it

The thing is we're not even insulting anyone's religion.

His passive/agressive martyr syndrome has not endeared himself to anyone in here, granted, yet even after proving himself asocial, some try to engage him into real talk now and then.

It's just like debating Anarcho-syndicalism failures with Him, you know it won't register.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, paratech. THIS:
paratech2008 wrote:
...if a sinner like me can be saved, everyone can be saved.

THIS is why so many people here don't like you. It's nothing to do with your religion, it's the fact that you won't shut up about it. You're trying so bloody hard to convert us, and we would like it to stop. Please, stop trying to convert us. Please.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't even mind the conversion attempts. it's part of who he is, it's standard enough that you can sort of tune it out, if you want to.

it's the blockheaded nature of his arguments, the failure to comprehend or even _read_ anyone else's responses - that's what gets to me. and it can't be tuned out.
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Don't tell me you're a Christian. Let me figure it out."

(attributed to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.)
LadySunami

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:

I've never heard that quote before but I like it.
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i don't even mind the conversion attempts. it's part of who he is, it's standard enough that you can sort of tune it out, if you want to.

it's the blockheaded nature of his arguments, the failure to comprehend or even _read_ anyone else's responses - that's what gets to me. and it can't be tuned out.

Yeah, I mean, he's not the first fundie we've had here. Like that Mellowfish guy.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....who had pretty much the same failings, now you bring him up.

ATTN: FUNDIES - learn to at least fake listening to other people.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellowfish read and listened. He responded and argued in ways that clearly demonstrated that he was paying attention to where we (especially Wheels, I think) pointed. It's just that he didn't really understand it very well - kinda like a puppy following the pointing hand without realizing it was pointing at something.

He was much more genuine and less aggravating than paratech.
Chocolatefan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
Ronald wrote:

I've never heard that quote before but I like it.

That's one awesome quote. I'm going to remember it.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a violent straight edge fundamentalist Catholic Protestant until I joined the ARMY and realized that the government as well as civilians would misquote every book from every religion for the sake of ensuring that soldiers would be compliant when ordered to kill complete strangers that did not agree with them.

As an born again Atheist, I still can't do alot of stuff without me guilting myself out of it. For example: Someone offered to sell me a 100 dollar value gift card for a popular clothing store for the low low price of 20 dollars,I would decline because the bible and the koran are very specific on how it is a sin to charge interest or eat a child in it's mother's milk.

I regret not taking that money offer.
I also regret not eating cheeseburgers sooner in my life.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catholic Protestant? um how does that work

I think it's worth pointing out that fastidiously following ancient and silly-sounding rules and hating certain groups of people is not the only way to do religion. Arguably, it's not religion at all. Occasionally I meet people who are genuinely nonjudgmental, concerned about other people's welfare, humble and mindful of their own faults and dedicated to fixing them, and offering people what they need--whether it's spiritual guidance or a pair of dry socks. I find them to be perhaps the most religious people of all: people who trust in God/Yahweh/Allah/Vishnu/whatever to look out for them, so they can look out for others.

Unfortunately, living that way is hard. So most people don't do it and we get everything from obnoxious, self-righteous douchebags to suicide bombers instead.

And, also unfortunately, the people who represent the best of religion rarely get as much attention as the people who represent the worst of it.

and I'll note that you don't have to be religious to be a good person. >>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: