welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prince and Painkillers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Prince and Painkillers Reply with quote

Didn't want to put this in the section for the comic, even though it has obviously been about Prince since Sunday. I'm just pissed at comments I've been seeing, and the stupid way the media has been handling this.

Shocking news, painkillers (prescription) were found in Prince's house! Big deal, you know what, if they did a search of my house they would also find painkillers. Talked this morning with a friend who will be having two hips replaced this year, one a replacement of the a replacement gone bad, and the other replaced for the first time. He is using a cane, and can barely walk across the street to see me. He has three different varieties to choose from, from three different doctors. I've got two or three choices myself, although none of the heavy duty prescriptions are current, I keep them around, just in case, and because it isn't all that easy to get rid of them. What I take on a daily basis is a steroid, not an opioid, and at that I also take something to protect my kidneys. I know what I take isn't really good for my body, but it is nice to be able to walk. My problem isn't my hips, it's my knees, ones been replaced, the other will be when I decide it's bad enough. My doctor thinks its bad enough now, but replacements only last so long, and every time you have it redone it's less stable.

Prince's hips were shot. Should have been replaced. It was his decision not to do it, for whatever reason. The assumption seems to be, by many, he was a rock star, he was black, obviously he died of a drug overdose. Until you have to deal with a joint (or two) that are bone on bone, you have no idea what he had to deal with. My friend is willing to have the hip that has not yet been replaced done first this year, even though his surgeon wants to redo the old replacement first, because he is in danger of blood poisoning due to metal shavings from the replacement gone bad. He's willing to risk dying from the blood poisoning, rather than wait another 8 weeks to have the other hip replaced. Walk a mile with arthritic hips (or knees) before you cast stones.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had honestly never even crossed my mind to consider prescription painkiller abuse related death a 'black thing'

But I do consider drug abuse related deaths of any kind to be a rock star thing, because rock stars
Mr Gary

Location: Some pub in England ... Uh, I mean, Scotland ... Uh, I mean, Spain ... Uh I mean Scotland again ...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An athletic performer like Prince has every right to have a cabinet full of prescription meds.

I'm reminded of when Westlife (Irish Boyband) singer Stephen Gately died from a legal/not-legal cocktail of drugs, and certain newspapers said 'Welp, drugs are a gay lifestyle thing, so maybe he shouldn't have been gay!'

I dunno much (about this subject, about any subject), but there seems to be a massive two-tier response: 'Prince was a Legend, and a great guy' and 'Black musician took drugs, huh?'

Nobody was speculating about Bowie's medicine cabinet, is what I'm saying.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just have never considered perscription opioid abuse, specifically, to be a black thing. everything like it, oxy abuse especially, has always seemed a super white epidemic to me, especially around the rust belt and among working class and working poor whites, to say nothing of the hypocritical luminaries of the sport who want to make sure drugs are only a problem when it's the poors and the nonwhites doing it, but it's sure as hell acceptable for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: