welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rap music blamed for teen pregnancy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smeat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Rap music blamed for teen pregnancy Reply with quote

I found an interesting article on a study of music and what effects it has had on adolesent views of sex. I am not going to post the whole article here, it is pretty long.

Here is an excerpt:
Quote:
Dr Steven Martino, who led the US study published in the latest edition of the journal 'Pediatrics', said that "sexually degrading lyrics" - many graphic and filled with obscenities - caused changes in adolescents' sexual behaviour.

He said, "These lyrics depict men as sexually insatiable, women as sexual objects, and sexual intercourse as inconsequential. Other songs about sex don't appear to influence youth the same way.

"These portrayals objectify and degrade women in ways that are clear but they do the same to men by depicting them as sex-driven studs. Musicians who use this type of sexual imagery are communicating something very specific about what sexual roles are appropriate, and teenage listeners may act on these messages.

"These lyrics are likely to promote the acceptance of women as sexual objects and men as pursuers of sexual conquest. Despite the fact that degrading sexual lyrics are particularly demeaning for women, they affect adolescent boys and girls similarly."

The same disturbing messages were contained in videos which endorse the portrayal of women as sexual objects, the report said. The research team surveyed 1,461 children aged from 12 to 17 from across the US, asking them about their sexual behaviour and how often they listened to music by various artists including rock, country, rap, blues and pop.

They found that the youngsters listened to an average of 1.5 to 2.5 hours of music a day - not including what they saw on television or videos - but that 40 per cent of the songs referred to sex or romance.

Adolescents who listened to a lot of music containing "objectifying and limiting characterisations of sexuality progressed more quickly in their sexual behaviour" than teenagers who preferred different kinds of music. This was regardless of race or gender, the report said.

Link to article.

What do you guys think? I agree with the conclusion at the end. It is not that this music shouldn't exist, censoring the music is not the solution. What there needs to be is more parent involvement into what their children listen to.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture."  - Ray Mummert, creationist, Dover Pennsylvania, 2005
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side--for once, it's not being pinned on video games. Back to the old standard of that durned new-fangled noise kids these days are listening to causing all of societies woes.

Also, gotta love the standard supposition that this is a cause, rather than a coinciding factor. A and B are both true, so, um, A-->B. Yeah, that's it! Couldn't possibly be that C-->(A^B). Nah, then we'd have to actually put forth some effort and examine what C could be instead of picking on something easy and sensationalist.
smeat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are blowing what the report says a little out of proportion. It seems like a very even handed study. It doesn't say that "durned new-fangled noise" is causing kids to be more sexual. It is saying a specific subset of lyrics that is most prevalent in rap music has a correlation with sexual attitudes of teens.

Besides they are not saying that rap music causes pregnancy, the study talks about how it effects teens views on sex. A big difference that you are graying the lines of.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture."  - Ray Mummert, creationist, Dover Pennsylvania, 2005
Marik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: ah, zappa Reply with quote

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?"
Flion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Marik. This same stuff has been said about rock, punk, etc. My parents told me it was also said about jazz and swing in their time. Frankly, I might not be here if it weren't for Classical Music - that was my parents lovemaking music of choice. Let's face it, music and sex go together. But which comes first, the music or the sex? My vote: sex. I think my biggest influence for my sexual adventures in my teen years was riding somewhat lower than my ears, ya know?
smeat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, did you read the article?

MsFrisby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people's sex drive actually resides between the ears. Actually, a bit behind and above them.
Jinx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTR - the thread title, Rap music blamed for teen pregnancy does give the impression that that is what the article/study is going to say.
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rap music blamed for teen pregnancy

Quote:
Rap stars are encouraging early sexual activity among teenagers by promoting a degrading view of women, research shows.

Psychologists said their findings from a three-year study presented a worrying picture of how popular music affected the attitudes of boys and girls to sex.

Rap music and hip hop, with their particular emphasis on sex and demeaning depictions of women, were blamed for encouraging early sexual behaviour, leading to the spread of disease and underage pregnancies.

Dr Steven Martino, who led the US study published in the latest edition of the journal 'Pediatrics', said that "sexually degrading lyrics" - many graphic and filled with obscenities - caused changes in adolescents' sexual behaviour.

Musicians who use this type of sexual imagery are communicating something very specific about what sexual roles are appropriate, and teenage listeners may act on these messages.

"These lyrics are likely to promote the acceptance of women as sexual objects and men as pursuers of sexual conquest.

The study, called "Exposure to Degrading Versus Non-Degrading Music Lyrics and Sexual Behaviour among Youth," was carried out by the RAND Corporation - a leading healthcare research organisation in the US. It also said that there was a danger that children's opinions about the opposite sex would be affected for the long-term by constant exposure to the lyrics.

Did you read the article, smeat? Seems everyone is pretty accurate, here, in their criticisms, including how this is just the latest incarnation of blaming the latest subgenre of music down the line for corruption of the younglings, and that the presumption that the music is causing the views and not the other way around (and certainly not that both are caused by an unexamined third (or fourth, or fifth, or so on) factor).

It is not saying that "a specific subset of lyrics that is most prevalent in rap music has a correlation with sexual attitudes of teens," as you claim; it is saying that the specific subset of lyrics is causing certain sexual attitudes in teens, while only showing a correlation and providing no evidence to support an assumption of causation.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, ofcourse. It's because I listen to rapmusic that I wanna have sex with my girlfriend. Not because I'm nearly 18.

Flion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smeat wrote:
Just curious, did you read the article?

Hell no. I can't read. Or type. Rolling Eyes Sorry, but your question was a bit insulting. Yes, I read the article. Lots of good statistical observation but the author leapt off a high conclusion. If you've taken statistics, you know that you can't do that. For example, the last paragraph you quote: "Adolescents who listened to a lot of music containing "objectifying and limiting characterisations of sexuality progressed more quickly in their sexual behaviour" than teenagers who preferred different kinds of music. This was regardless of race or gender, the report said.", is written to imply the conclusion that the music causes the quick progression. However, it could equally be concluded that the kids who progress quickly for whatever reason tend to prefer music which reflects that. I don't necessarily question the stats, just the way they are strung together.

Your conclusion about parental involvement is good, though, no matter how the data is interpreted.

Snorri, put the iPod down. Nothing good can come of it. Razz
Desire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, you'd think these people had never listened to music from the 70s and 80s. Lyrics about sex, promoting sex, and lyrics that degrade women sexually, is NOT a new thing.
rm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even mozart did it:

Quote:
Mozart's "Die Entfuehrung aus dem Serail" (The Abduction from the Seraglio), one of the 18th century Austrian composer's most popular operas, is usually played as a sparkling comedy of relationships set in the grounds of a mythical Turkish palace.

The new production in Berlin's Komische Oper moves the action to a modern-day brothel where a brutal pimp keeps the women in his power through systematic rape and torture.

The opera's Catalan director, Calixto Bieito, who has seen previous productions greeted with leaflets proclaiming "Death to Bieito!" wanted to use the opera to cast a light on the plight of women exploited in the sex trade.

But the production has sparked outraged articles in the press and an initial threat from DaimlerChrysler, one of the main sponsors, to withdraw funding. Performances have been interrupted at various points by shouts from the floor as patrons have walked out in disgust.

"How filthy can theater be?" asked Germany's top selling daily newspaper Bild.

My Way - News
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: ThemPrussianGirlsAreHotLikeOnlyUnderageLunaticsCouldBe Reply with quote

Quote:
It is not saying that "a specific subset of lyrics that is most prevalent in rap music has a correlation with sexual attitudes of teens," as you claim; it is saying that the specific subset of lyrics is causing certain sexual attitudes in teens, while only showing a correlation and providing no evidence to support an assumption of causation.

That's the jib. You might as well say that listening to Prussian Blue causes racism, while using correlations that are skewed by the fact that racism causes Prussian Blue listenership.

So, it's run through a sociological wringer: if we factor in cultural patterns, it's more than safe to guess that any peer group or subculture that's going to find appreciation for the music that they're talking about is probably already going to score lower on the 'not demeaning women index' regardless as to any musical exposure.

This type of association has been used to create inverse and spurious correlational claims since long before our generation, so why expect it to stop here?

Sad part is, there could be something to the idea that degrading lyrics further degrading attitudes and behaviors. They just have yet to show that.
Azmoten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly it's all music's fault. I SMELL A LAWSUIT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: