welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The post-postwhoring thead of DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 238, 239, 240  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to brag, but I'm the best clotter I know.

The key is to let the platelets do all the work.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like Metro.
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's no Vampire in Brooklyn, I grant you that, but it really needs to be approached with a sense of reservation and a touch of narrative patience if one expects it to blossom within the constraints of its cinematic birthplace.

It's not the seventies anymore, you know.
Canopus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to enjoy the taste of sea urchin and squash.
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a native american sea otter?
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Christ. I just realized I'm a boring person because the Daily Show guest came out and I yelled, "Oh my god, he's got Alan Simpson on!"
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this, and it's some good shit:

David Farland wrote:

During last week’s episode of “The Voice,” a reality television show where young singers compete for a recording contract, one of the judges, rock star Adam Levine, gave a critique of one singer’s performance. He said something that I thought was interesting. He told the young singer, “I love the fact that you give it your all. You have no backup plan, and that’s important. If you’re going to make it in this cutthroat business, you can’t have a backup plan.”

This is something that I noticed long ago. Many people want to become writers, and many of them have a tremendous amount of talent. But almost always, the young writer decides that he needs a backup plan. For example, he might say, “I’ll take a job as a tech writer and plan to write on the side.” Or “I’ll take a job as a computer programmer or work as a dentist.”

Eventually, the writer finds himself with a career, and his writing gets shoved back further and further in to the corners, never to escape. Very often, after years of regret, the writer will try to make a go of writing, but she’ll often find that the constraints of family expenses and the time involved just don’t allow for a transition to a writer’s life. The dream may soon be gone forever, becoming nothing more than regret.

As a college student, I studied several things in my early years. I was a straight-A student in marketing and business management for a year, but then went to pre-med. Though I’d worked as a butcher when young, I found that I didn’t have the stomach to become a surgeon, and so I began looking seriously at my backup plan—writing. Perhaps I could make writing my primary plan and do something else if it didn’t work out.

I quit studying medicine and dove into writing, thinking that it if I couldn’t sell my writing, I’d perhaps take a job as an editor.

Well, the writing career took off much faster than expected, and my “backup plans” were cast by the wayside. Oh, I do still do some editing and teaching but mainly for fun. A guy has got to get out of the house once in a while. But I keep myself focused on writing, and here’s my backup plan: more writing.

By that I mean simply, I’m going to write what I like. And if that doesn’t work, I’ll write some more. I’m finishing the last book of the Runelords series, and then I’ll work on the next book in the Nightingale series. When I’m done with that, I have three other novels that I want to write, and a fourth that I’m hatching. I have faith that one of these projects will take off big.

I’ve found that this is the only sane way to work in this business. Write, and then write some more.

So if you see your writing as a backup plan, figure out how to make it your career. Give it a little more emphasis. Attack your writing little more ferocity. Whatever else you may be doing, whatever other occupation you have, start looking at it as your backup plan.

If you’re stocking shelves in a grocery store, see it as a means to an end. Remember that you’re a writer first. You only stock shelves to pay the bills until your writing career takes off.

Then make sure that each day, your writing takes precedence. That means that you start the day with your writing, when you’re full of energy and fresh ideas. You don’t try to do it just in those few stolen moments when you really “feel like it.”

Start making money with your writing, and then make writing your only plan.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focussing 100% on writing will certainly improve your chances of making it as a writer. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish this spam had been posted to a religious forum instead of a tech forum:
Quote:
If you think Jesus`s story is flabbergasting..., last month my auntie's boy friend also earned $7591 sitting there ninteen hours a week from their apartment and their friend's aunt`s neighbour did this for 7-months and made over $7591 in there spare time on there pc. apply the steps from this web-site..[link removed]
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart wrote:
Focussing 100% on writing will certainly improve your chances of making it as a writer. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I don't think that's what he saying exactly. He's saying, in short, "if you want to be a 'writer', you need to write," kind of a "keep your eye on the prize" sort of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I wish this spam had been posted to a religious forum instead of a tech forum:
Quote:
If you think Jesus`s story is flabbergasting..., last month my auntie's boy friend also earned $7591 sitting there ninteen hours a week from their apartment and their friend's aunt`s neighbour did this for 7-months and made over $7591 in there spare time on there pc. apply the steps from this web-site..[link removed]

My friend's mom found a job posting offering $1,500/month to "receive and ship parcels from home." She's making up business cards that say "smuggler" right now!
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally believe this is possible. after all - how can you doubt the success of your auntie's friend's aunt's neighbor? you can practically smell the money!

although on second reading, i'm not sure why AFAN stuck with it for 7 months, when he/she/it apparently made the same $7591 the boyfriend did in 19 hours. but whatever - it's straight from the horse's mouth! almost.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me _forever_ to find the colors that I wanted for my christmas tree. Apparently only vintage colors are in this year and that doesn't include royal blue. K-Mart finally had what I needed.

I'm doing blue and silver.

Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the festive hannukah tree!
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Bart wrote:

I don't think that's what he saying exactly. He's saying, in short, "if you want to be a 'writer', you need to write," kind of a "keep your eye on the prize" sort of thing.

Yeah he's basically saying that you can't expect to become a writer if you're doing it "on the side" as it were.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 238, 239, 240  Next
Page 185 of 240

Jump to: