Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The post-postwhoring thead of DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 211, 212, 213 ... 223, 224, 225  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh

hey

that's right

profile pages tell you how many times per day you post on average

welp, I did some unnecessary arithmetic using slightly wrong numbers! Oh noes!
Dogen wrote:

I'm kind of amazed that I post more per day than you. I mean, the forum domination/whatever threads alone...

These are overall averages. I'm pretty sure I only posted maybe once or twice a week for the first couple of years I was on these forums, and mostly kept to the sinfest subforum until I noticed that there was a pony thread.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to http://www.sinfest.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=393487&highlight=#393487 I had ~1100 posts as of late April 2012, which would have been ~1.05 posts per day, a third of Dogen's overall average rate

meaning that I've posted an average of (4135-1100)/543 = ~5.59 posts/day since then, which is consistent with my recent behavior in the "Forum ____ Thread"s in the Forum Guidlines subforum, and amounts to about a 5:3 rates ratio of Rants recent posting to Dogen overall posting,

So, recently, I'm nearly rivaling the overall posting rate of the notorious m.o.u.s.e.

_____

this doesn't take into account the posts I deleted back when I was keeping my postcount at a constant number

or the couple of days of everyone's posts that disappeared

or Dogen's posts from the old forum

or the 1557 posts I've made with my secret alt account, "Miss Magenta"
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 1 Feb 2001 to 10 July 2006 I had 2,137 posts on the old forum. That's roughly 1.07 posts per day, which would drop my total average. Looks like we both picked up speed after hanging out for a while... I just took longer to speed up and never quite reached your top speed.

Probably because I'm old. Nothing works as fast anymore...
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Damn, I post way too much. This is post 9,990.

I still got more posts than you.

mouse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pft. amateurs.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, my profession is amateurism.

This is my 4139th post.

4139 is a prime number!

In fact, it is a safe prime, which is not a Sophie Germain prime. It is a Father Prime of order 2.

It can be expressed in the form 2*n^2+2*n-1, and is the eighth number n such that (11^n + 5^n)/16 is prime.

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totes look up to all of you. My heroes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 4140th post.

4140 is not a particularly interesting number, but I suppose that's relative.

It is a Bell number, and also a member of Aitken's array.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I totes look up to all of you. My heroes.

Hah.

You actually have significantly more posts per day than even mouse does. IF THIS WERE A GAME YOU'D BE BEATING US ALL.
____

This is my 4141th post.

What can I say about 4141?
4141 looks kind of neat expressed in base ten, I guess.

If we used a base 100 number system, and ☭ was our symbol for 41, then 4141 would be written ☭☭, which is doubly communist.

However, a base 100 number system would make even less sense mathematically than a base ten number system. 10 factors poorly, with only two non-trivial factors, and as a result the decimal system is rather awkward to use, but 100 factors even worse relative to its size. Switching to base 100 would result in a massive increase in the number of arithmetical facts needed to use the common arithmetical algorithms we teach children in school for very little benefit - the main benefit being that written numbers would be twice as concise. Base 6 (if for some reason you need factors of three, or maybe base 12), octal, or even hexidecimal numbers would all make far more sense than either system.

I personally lean towards octal for human use because factors of two are rather intuitive to most people. I choose octal over other systems heavy in factors of two because eight is nice and small, while being large enough for concise notation, unlike binary. If we switched to octal, basic arithmetic would be far easier for children to grasp and we'd waste less time making them memorize useless things like multiplication tables, and having a number system that actually makes sense would continue to make things easier throughout our adult lives. Unfortunately, we are stuck with this stone-age legacy crap decimal system for the foreseeable future.

In octal, this number would be written 10055.

4141 is also a centered square number, and a heptagonal number.

A slightly more obscure way in which this number is interesting in base ten is that the geometric mean of its digits is exactly 2.
mouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but my posts are full of pithiness and wisdom and my own brand of devastating dry humor!

well, some of them must be....

i guess if we go to base 8 then you can still count on your fingers (using your thumbs to do the actual counting without having to themselves take part in the count), but things get weird when you move on to counting with your toes, because your big toe is probably not mobile enough to do the counting, but do you leave it out of the reckoning (as a thumb analog), or do you discount, say, the little toe, as being the smallest and therefore hardest to see? (if you lack sufficient flexibility to actually grasp your toes while counting and have to rely on just looking down on them)(or even up on them, if you are sitting upside down in a chair or with your feet propped against a tree or something).

also, i think i want your p-value on that 'significance' assertion. there is a substantial amount of variability in my posting.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have enough data to calculate that. Such data could be collected by obtaining a list of post dates from the forum database. With direct access to the server, this would be easy, but I personally do not have such access, so I would have to write a script to parse the data out of html, which would be a somewhat annoying task.

However, if your posting habits averaged out to be just as frequent as stripey's, you would have 23107 posts rather than your measly 16167.

___

This is my 4142nd post.

The decimal expansion of 4142 is the concatenation of two consecutive increasing numbers, and it happens to be one such number that would be obtained by simply pairing up all the natural numbers starting with one.

It is the least positive integer that can be represented as the sum of a semiprime and a square in exactly 37 ways, and the eleventh denominator of continued fraction convergents to sqrt(424).

The harmonic mean of the digits of its decimal expansion is exactly two, and its base 16 representation has exactly 4 runs.

4142 Dersu-Uzala is the name of a main belt asteroid that was discovered on May 28, 1981 and named after Dersu Uzala, a Russian trapper/explorer who is portrayed in literature as a heroic animist who meets a tragic end.

4142 is also a grade of chromoly steel that has been hardened to 27 to 32 Rockwell C, is machinable and ready to use with no further thermal treatments, yet it has good hardness penetration and is of exceedingly high strength. It is also ductile, and tough, with good wear resistance.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 10,002nd post. 10,002 is 2 bigger than 10,000. It's an even number, which means it's divisible by 2. If you had $10,002 you could buy a 2008 Ford Focus. Or, you could get a flying water bike and have $1,002 left over for medical expenses. 10,002 is also the number you would find if you cut Christopher Walken in half and counted the rings.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 4143rd post. 4143 is the concatenation of the decimal expansions of two consecutive primes. These two primes also happen to be twin primes.

It is also a "Super-3 Number," meaning 3*4143^3 contains the substring "333" in its decimal expansion (213336936621).

It has 8 terms in its Zeckendorf representation, and 2*(4143)+1, 4*(4143)+1 and 6*(4143)+1 are all prime.

4143 is the number of redundant function representations of x^x^x^x^x^x^x^x^x^x ( that's ten x's) with parentheses inserted in all possible ways.

Asteroid 4143 Huziak is a Thimistian asteroid named in honor of Richard Huziak, a Canadian amateur astronomer.

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 10,003rd post. It comes after my 10,002nd, and (if all goes according to plan) before my 10,004th.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 4143rd post. Again! This will likely be my postcount for a while, since I like twin primes.

Dogen is not sufficiently nerdy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 211, 212, 213 ... 223, 224, 225  Next
Page 212 of 225

Jump to: