welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The post-postwhoring thead of DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215 ... 236, 237, 238  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final is open notes, so there's that.

Still need to organize this pile of notes into a paper. And write my outline for the internship.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
This is my 4143rd post. 4143 is the concatenation of the decimal expansions of two consecutive primes. These two primes also happen to be twin primes.

It is also...

This is my 4143rd post yet again!

And again!

Woooooo!
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
bigwords.com is your friend, order the paperback international version if you can find it (if it's a textbook rather than a novel - I don't know what you're taking).

Sincerely,
Been In School 7 years

it's a text: Statistics: Informed Decisions Using Data.

amazon seems to have an option to rent it for considerably less than it costs to buy, but i need to check what exactly that means. Class doesn't start until january, so i don't want to waste money renting it yet. i was considering trying to go by the university bookstore to see if was less there than on amazon, but that's probably insane. when do people sell back used books, generally? after the final, certainly, but before the next quarter?

damn it's a long time since i was a student.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's usually a book buy back at the end of the quarter. Some schools also do it at the beginning of the next quarter. However, most schools will only buy back books bought from them (they stamp them or mark the spine), and in my experience it never makes sense financially to do it that way. I've never found it cheaper at the bookstore, even after buy back (which is usually 1/2 the price you paid). Bookstores also often don't buy back all of them. They buy only as many as they need for the next quarter, so if you're not there early they may not buy it back at all. Plus you have to stand in line with college kids...

Renting is done on a quarter or semester basis, and you usually just give them about 8-10 days to get the book to you, then ship it back when you're done. They'll give you deliver by dates based on which term length you choose. You order them just before school starts.

If you don't need the book, rent it. $32.99 for a $178 book? Deal. If you think you'll want it later, buy used online. Looks like it's selling for $53. I've never seen a bookstore beat those prices.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I learned anything as an undergrad, it's never buy a textbook you don't intend to keep as reference material.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And let's be honest... not many people decide to look through their old stats textbook.

I mean, I have, but not normal people.

Also, I have a shelf full of old textbooks and the only ones I use with any regularity are A&P, psychopathology, and cognitive psych books. The rest I keep because I think I might look at them someday... but I probably would have been better off with the $50 they would have given me in a buy back. Like my nonviolent communication book... why did I think I would read that again?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I gazed into the vast chamber, to the side of which lay the potential food that I sought, daunting seemed the task before me. Using only the precarious safety of furniture and the very sparsely laid green tiles, I successfully navigated the treacherous floor of lava. Snack in hand and subsistence assured for at least a few more hours, I braved the dangers once again to return forthwith to the safety of my base camp.

Eat your heart out, Les Stroud!
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
And let's be honest... not many people decide to look through their old stats textbook.

I mean, I have, but not normal people.

Also, I have a shelf full of old textbooks and the only ones I use with any regularity are A&P, psychopathology, and cognitive psych books. The rest I keep because I think I might look at them someday... but I probably would have been better off with the $50 they would have given me in a buy back. Like my nonviolent communication book... why did I think I would read that again?

Be honest, Dogen. You keep them on your shelves because it looks cool.

Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a really cool half-filled bookshelf in my garage.

Literally, it was 15F/-9C the other night. Those books are super cool.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I can't hear you over how cranky this -13F weather is making me. (UGH -21F with windchill what a horrible horrible place this is)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey now

are you challenging my position as the resident cold snob

because it's probably not even going to get that warm here today

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 58 out right now! Very Happy
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
There's usually a book buy back at the end of the quarter. Some schools also do it at the beginning of the next quarter. However, most schools will only buy back books bought from them (they stamp them or mark the spine), and in my experience it never makes sense financially to do it that way. I've never found it cheaper at the bookstore, even after buy back (which is usually 1/2 the price you paid). Bookstores also often don't buy back all of them. They buy only as many as they need for the next quarter, so if you're not there early they may not buy it back at all. Plus you have to stand in line with college kids...

Renting is done on a quarter or semester basis, and you usually just give them about 8-10 days to get the book to you, then ship it back when you're done. They'll give you deliver by dates based on which term length you choose. You order them just before school starts.

If you don't need the book, rent it. $32.99 for a $178 book? Deal. If you think you'll want it later, buy used online. Looks like it's selling for $53. I've never seen a bookstore beat those prices.

Last time I went to a book buyback, they offered me $3.00 for my calculus textbook, which cost $75 the year before. If they switch versions over the break, you're fucked because your version will essentially be worthless (generally the content is the same, but they change the textbook questions).

However, if you don't need the textbook questions for your class, picking up an older used version of the textbook can save you like 90%.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i looked into renting a bit more, and that seems like the way to go. if it turns out to be a really great book, i gather i can buy the rental copy - since i'm actually doing statistics i suppose i might find it useful, although it's not like there aren't a lot of statistics books around here. i figure if i rent it next week, the lower-price versions should still be available and i will get it in time for class.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awkward conversation last night. Sitting in a friend's living room with my three closest friends when one friend says, "I need you to look at my boob." Uhh... "There's a lump." Fuck. So in the middle of the room she kind of lifts just enough of her shirt to show me her sternum and then grabs my hand and puts it on her chest. Turns out it's nothing (dermal, so not DCIS, regular margins and color, etc; keep an eye on it for changes). Then another friend says, "Will you look at something for me, too? I think I have psoriasis. Between my boobs," then pulls up her shirt to show me her sternum (I'm apparently surrounded by people with worrisome sternum-related issues). Nope, that's a rash.

So I turn to the last friend, who is a guy and the second woman's fiancť and ask if he has something embarrassing he wants me to look at. Maybe he's got weird testicles, or something. Nope, he's good.

If you ever wondered, on the awkward scale seeing your friends unclothed is more awkward than sticking a tube into a stranger's urethra (which loses its shine pretty quick) and about as awkward as putting meds into a stranger's butthole with your finger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215 ... 236, 237, 238  Next
Page 214 of 238

Jump to: