welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The post-postwhoring thead of DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 226, 227, 228 ... 238, 239, 240  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still photos, not robots
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late to the tumblars on this, but MISS OFFICER AND MISTER TRUFFLES

THE FURTHER ADVENTURES

NOW IN LIFE-LIKE ANI-MOTION!
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excerpts from The Bible in Cockney. As in rhyming slang. Here's the Cockney version of the Lord's Prayer:
Quote:
Hello Dad
Up there in good ol' heaven
Your name is well great and holy and we respect you guv!
We hope we can all have a butcher's at heaven
And be there as soon as possible
And we wanna make you happy guv!

mouse

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't seem to be anything in there about "lead us not into temptation"....
Michael

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that for a friend a while back, good book
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sitting on these links for a couple of days because I wanted to have a discussion about them but I'm not really sure where to post it or what direction to take it in.

On Wednesday I was reading this piece from NPR about how mining regulators can't just shut down a certain coal mine despite flagrant and chronic safety violations that just cost two more lives. They literally don't have the authority to do it.

Quote:
From 2013 on, MSHA cited Patriot's Brody No. 1 mine:
  • 40 times for highly negligent violations of 18 mining standards, which inspectors determined could lead to the deaths of coal miners.
  • 39 times for allowing combustible materials, such as coal mine dust, to accumulate, which can fuel explosions.
  • 22 times for failing to properly inspect the mine before workers began shifts. These "pre-shift examinations" are designed to spot and correct safety hazards before miners are put at risk.
  • 20 times for failing to properly ventilate the mine for methane gas and coal mine dust, which can ignite and explode. These violations were deemed "significant and substantial," which MSHA defines as violations that are reasonably likely to result in serious injury or illness.
  • 20 times for significant and substantial violations for failing to control the roof of the mine to prevent rocks from falling during mining.
  • 532 times for violations overall. Of those, 253 violations were characterized as significant and substantial. High negligence was cited for 68 violations. And 80 were for circumstances that violated MSHA's "Rules to Live by," which identify factors that have been common in mine disasters, explosions and fatalities.

And in 2013, the injury rate at the mine was three times the national average.
Despite the threat to miners, federal regulators say they do not have the authority to simply close the mine.
MSHA failed to use an even tougher tool at the Brody mine. The agency has the authority to seek a federal court injunction that would place a mine under the supervision of a federal judge. The judge could then order the closure of the mine if its owner failed to fix chronic safety problems.
But in the 40 years it has had this authority, MSHA has used it only once ó in 2010 against Massey Energy's Freedom Mine No. 1 in Kentucky. Massey then closed the mine.

And then the next story I read was this one: Death Toll Nears 285 In Turkish Coal Mine Explosion (although at the time it was 275). In it we have this little hand-wavy gem from the Prime Minister:
Quote:
Erdogan said that Turkey was "experiencing a very great pain," over the accident, but at a news conference he emphasized that "[explosions] like this in these mines happen all the time. It's not like these don't happen elsewhere in the world."

Which prompted me to look up some data on US coal mine disasters. It was actually incredibly easy to find this list and breakdown, maintained by the MSHA. We can see that the last time the US had a coal mining disaster with at least this many deaths was in 1907 (death toll 362), the next closest being a 1913 explosion in New Mexico that claimed 263 lives. The US literally hasn't had a coal mining disaster anywhere close to Turkey's for more than a century. Our biggest non-coal mining accidents are far less severe, the worst offender being silver mine fire in 1972 that killed 91. I looked up the numbers for Australia's deadliest coal mining accident. It was in 1902 and killed 96. So what exactly is Edrogan claiming? That these preventable deaths happen everywhere there isn't sufficient regulation and enforcement of safety standards to protect miners from even the most obvious of dangers?

Then I came across this the other day, with some mine safety experts weighing in on conditions in Turkey and the US.
Quote:
McAteer investigated the last major disaster in the U.S., which left 29 miners dead in 2010 in Massey Energy's Upper Big Branch mine in West Virginia. A common theme in accidents everywhere and in the last century, he says, is mining companies putting production before safety, and regulators unable or unwilling to stop them.
"Tragically," McAteer says, "the similarities are profound."
mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly, that may be exactly it: around the world, preventable mining accidents happen, because profit is more important than lives.

i don't know how much the absolute size of the death toll has to do with how much mining is mechanized - the trend with industry in general has been to replace human labor with machines, so there are fewer humans working in the mines - maybe turkey has less mechanization? i have no idea.

but the message is very, very clear. we know what the risks are, we know how to control them and save lives - but we just can't be bothered. and it doesn't matter that miners die as a result (whether it's a lot of miners or just a few). and if a country like the US won't make the effort - why would anyone else?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanization and open pit/mountain top removal mining are probably the biggest factors in reducing the frequency of US fatalities, but even still there are a lot of horizontal mines in operation here and abroad that don't encounter these kinds of horrendous fatalities.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've made it a habit of offering irrational excuses for tiny mistakes, just to see if anyone notices. For instance, today I shot off an email tabulating some stuff and I put in one wrong number, so in my follow up email I offered the correction with the excuse "I don't normally do math on Sunday." No one ever asks about them, though, and I wonder if they just think I'm weird/an idiot...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
So I've made it a habit of offering irrational excuses for tiny mistakes, just to see if anyone notices. For instance, today I shot off an email tabulating some stuff and I put in one wrong number, so in my follow up email I offered the correction with the excuse "I don't normally do math on Sunday." No one ever asks about them, though, and I wonder if they just think I'm weird/an idiot...

I'm gonna go with "unrecognized genius", as in you'll be HUGE posthumously I'm sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
also, all of their books on AI are from the '80s and the only one that's even remotely practical is just basic exercises in lisp

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggh

this university sucks

I know dat feel. A lot of the books at my university on AI-related stuff are from the late 70's to early 90's. Probably a side effect of decrease in public interest in AI.

Although, if you're looking for image recognition, I found a decent book lying around at my work that I was reading in my spare time (Older-ish but very much relevant still). I can go check what the title is, if you want. You can probably find it around somewhere.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Dogen wrote:

I'm gonna go with "unrecognized genius", as in you'll be HUGE posthumously I'm sure.

i agree. there will be books on "the collected excuses of dogen", and commentaries on those books, and classes studying the commentaries on those books, and learned lectures on why the people who assumed at the time that your actions were due to insanity were wrong, and who will dig out hidden periods of your life to explain your excuses - you will be this generation's van gogh!
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While trying to find a coffee shop on Yelp that had ample indoor seating I realized that people don't really seem to know the purpose of posting a photo taken inside a business. Every photo gallery has 10 times more pictures of the same cup of coffee - a latte of some kind with a generic heart or leaf drawn in foam - than they do pictures of the seating. Most of them are 90% pictures of coffee, espresso machines, and random things on the walls. Like this one.

Is this because I live in Hipsterville, or do people do this everywhere?
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Is this because I live in Hipsterville, or do people do this everywhere?

It could always be worse

Same here in Vancouver, most food places seem to mostly have pictures of their food, rather than what the place actually looks like. Which I guess could be good, because sometimes you find good food in really sketchy places, but not ideal for finding a nice place for a cup of coffee.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would want to live in Portland if they had marriage equality or trans stuff going on, because the more I hear of it, the more it sounds like my kind of place.

And I don't think it's just your place, Dogen. People like their food selfies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 226, 227, 228 ... 238, 239, 240  Next
Page 227 of 240

Jump to: