welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The post-postwhoring thead of DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 227, 228, 229 ... 238, 239, 240  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say that the email/mailing list habit of responding to something with your reply ABOVE the quoted material is totally fucking stupid with no redeeming qualities and should be eliminated.

I am also dismayed that this habit, despite the decline of mailing lists as a primary venue for discussion online, has been leaking into forums and comment threads at an ever-increasing rate.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's an allegory I'm trying to polish up. Back when Snorri linked to the epic article on institutional racism's lingering effects I figured it would help me formulate an easier way to express things like why Affirmative Action is still necessary. How's this?

Two men are lining up for a 100 yard dash.
One of them is given a clean start, while the other one is being held back at the starting line for a few seconds and then is allowed to run, but his track is set up with hurdles and obstacles (that the other runner doesn't encounter) until the last dozen yards or so when his track is finally clear.
Was the race fair just because in the last few seconds, both men were unemcumbered? Can we ever expect the burdened racer to achieve the same distance (the accumulated wealth) in the same amount of time as the one that had no obstructions?
It's worse than just giving one runner a head start. The race is actually more difficult and set up to fail the encumbered runner. Our history of racial policies in the US is like this, and because it was set up this way and we've already been running the race as-is, there's no way to go back and start over with a clean track. The only thing we can do to make the race more fair for the people running it is to help the encumbered racers catch up by removing as many remaining barriers and giving them as many boosts as we can, until both runners are on a truly even footing.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I just want to say that the email/mailing list habit of responding to something with your reply ABOVE the quoted material is totally fucking stupid with no redeeming qualities and should be eliminated.

I am also dismayed that this habit, despite the decline of mailing lists as a primary venue for discussion online, has been leaking into forums and comment threads at an ever-increasing rate.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripeypants wrote:

OMG, can you believe what Sam just agreed with? We need money to take that asshole down!
Stand with me, and give me your $5, and I will totally DO something about this cause that you have shown in the past you really support - being mad at Sam.

Sam wrote:
i agree

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the problem.

>From: señor stripeypants
>To: Forum
>Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2014 at 10:46am
>
>OMG, can you believe what Sam just agreed with? We need money to take that asshole down!
>Stand with me, and give me your $5, and I will totally DO something about this cause that
>you have shown in the past you really support - being mad at Sam.
>
>>From: Samwise Gamgee
>>To: Forum
>>Sent: Friday, May 31, 2014 at 10:28am
>>
>>i agree
>>
>>>From: Wheels O'Confusion
>>>To: Forum
>>>Sent: Friday, May 31, 2014 at 10:12am
>>>
>>>I just want to say that the email/mailing list habit of responding to something with your reply
>>>ABOVE the quoted material is totally fucking stupid with no redeeming qualities and should be
>>>eliminated.
>>>
>>>I am also dismayed that this habit, despite the decline of mailing lists as a primary venue for
>>>discussion online, has been leaking into forums and comment threads at an ever-increasing
>>>rate.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you hear? Dogen just admitted he doesn't understand ANYTHING! We can't have people like him running around free!

But! We have time to stop him! Only an hour, though - so feel the urgency!

If you actually care about stopping the OUTRAGE that is Dogen, please send me your $5, $10, $50, or $100,000,000,000 so I can send him a letter telling him to knock it off!

Remember: We know you hate getting too much crap in your mailbox, so we're only gonna send out our ten most important anger donation messages every day! Because we love you and thank you for your support.

PS: Our records indicate that once upon a time you showed an interest in Stopping Dogen For Good, but that this year you have donated this much:

--> $0 <--

>:( You owe us money, you civic-minded asshole.

-Sincerely, The Stop Dogen From Dogening People
Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree

[quote="stripeypants"]
stripeypants wrote:
Quote:
Did you hear? Dogen just admitted he doesn't understand ANYTHING! We can't have people like him running around free!

But! We have time to stop him! Only an hour, though - so feel the urgency!

If you actually care about stopping the OUTRAGE that is Dogen, please send me your $5, $10, $50, or $100,000,000,000 so I can send him a letter telling him to knock it off!

Remember: We know you hate getting too much crap in your mailbox, so we're only gonna send out our ten most important anger donation messages every day! Because we love you and thank you for your support.

PS: Our records indicate that once upon a time you showed an interest in Stopping Dogen For Good, but that this year you have donated this much:

--> $0 <You>>>To: Forum
>>>Sent: Friday, May 31, 2014 at 10:12am
>>>
>>>I just want to say that the email/mailing list habit of responding to something with your reply
>>>ABOVE the quoted material is totally fucking stupid with no redeeming qualities and should be
>>>eliminated.
>>>
>>>I am also dismayed that this habit, despite the decline of mailing lists as a primary venue for
>>>discussion online, has been leaking into forums and comment threads at an ever-increasing
>>>rate.
Stripeypants wrote:

OMG, can you believe what Sam just agreed with? We need money to take that asshole down!
Stand with me, and give me your $5, and I will totally DO something about this cause that you have shown in the past you really support - being mad at Sam.

Sam wrote:
i agree

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not getting faster at typing

here's about a year and a half of data:

I'm still stuck at around an 80 wpm average with a peak rate of about 100 wpm
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to be a superfast typist. I purposefully slowed myself down and wear wrist braces.

i watched a friend do tech jorb by day and sc2 tourneys by night and ruin the shit out of his hands. since i intend to live and type a quite long time, i'm going with the preventative care and keeping my carpals and radials and ulnars safe and sound.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like people really don't consider that eventually we're going to be senior citizens still with computers a huge part of our lives. Aah.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've picked up too many bad wrist-flexing habits. I'm more worried about my finger joints.
OklahomanSun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between typing and my job in college as a relay operator and console games and motorcycling, my left hand has gotten to the point where it goes numb and tingly within minutes. Some days are worse than others.

The last time I had to hand write a letter, I had to shake my left hand every few minutes and give it a rest, call it 5 minutes at a shot before I have to rest it. It sucks and I'll probably have surgery on it this summer.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My music isn't for the faint of heart... I live and breathe folk music."

No, no no no no kid, you can't be real. No one can be that bland and white. Even for an upper middle class white kid from Minnesota, it just isn't possible.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some bad news for you, Arc.

(my music taste doesn't really run in that direction, but i'm familiar enough with the area.)
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I should clarify. I've got nothing against folk as a genre, some of it is pretty damn good (terrorist fistbump for both Guthries), but this was some of the blandest music I've ever heard of any genre. Random mumbled wailing while someone punched a banjo. No social commentary, no whimsy, no story, just the same bad love song full of vague sentiment retread a dozen times where love is every fifth word and you can only tell one song from another because the dude stopped playing for a half second.

And then he tells me it's not for the faint of heart.

Nope. Nope nope nope nope. Fuck you, I'm putting on Jedi Mind Tricks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 227, 228, 229 ... 238, 239, 240  Next
Page 228 of 240

Jump to: