welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The post-postwhoring thead of DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 236, 237, 238  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
2) i am wondering whether the current crop of crazy lawyers is as eloquent as the past ones. (actually, i'm not sure eloquent is quite the right word, although i am sure mr. graves would have thought so.)

No, they are not. If you have the stomach, read up on the strange tale of Prenda Law. They are not particularly eloquent, though they seem to be certifiably crazy.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that's too bad. one would hope that with the advent of word processors, there would at least be more filings in curlicue fonts.

maybe even colorful curlicue fonts.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just discovered the facepunch forums

well, not the whole forum, but just a thread on it
a particularly horrible thread

I hereby ragequit the internet

it's been a good run, guys

byyyeee!~
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I've just discovered the facepunch forums

well, not the whole forum, but just a thread on it
a particularly horrible thread

I hereby ragequit the internet

it's been a good run, guys

byyyeee!~

facewhatnow?

I have not heard of this place. I am afraid to look.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently sitting out on my back deck what's left of the daylight. Daughter is playing in her sandbox after a long summer. Looking forward to more nice days like this.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howlin' Shaolin Nunja Convent 7: Old Habits Die Hard with a Vengeance

When Sister Agatha North-Dragon's nun-justu instructor is assassinated by rival Franciscan Wushu monks for hire, she scours the mean streets of the Vatican's Chinatown district to uncover corruption that goes all the way to the top in her quest to restore the convent-dojo's honor.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I don't want to be included in something, and actively decline, even, but still feel a bit bad about being left out.

very strange

I don't understand myself.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox, foobar2000, VLC, and MP3Tag all support the Opus audio codec now, so I did a little experimenting.

Setting up foobar to transcode was as easy as it is for anything else: either drag the encoder into its installation folder or set a path to opusenc.exe. Then add a new conversion setting by selecting Opus and choosing a target bitrate.
I picked out a .wav file and converted it to mp3 (LAME V0, ~245kb/s), ogg (q8, ~256kb/s), and Opus (VBR, slider set at 256kb/s) using foobar2k's file conversion interface. Then I filled in the appropriate tags, and tried playing them in foobar, VLC, and Firefox. Everything just worked. Now I want Rockbox for the Clip Zip to stabilize a little more so I can listen to this stuff on the go.

Weird thing is that the file size for Opus was actually the largest of the three (6.41MB), followed by the mp3 (6.14MB) and lastly the ogg (5.88MB). I don't know if that's because the encoder is still immature, if it tries to restrict itself to a narrower range, or if it's just the limitations of foobar2k's conversion dialogs (each encoder gets its own way of selecting bitrate, and the LAME mp3 encoder only allows certain bitrate settings so I couldn't pick 256 but had to go with 245). Soundconverter on Linux also supports transcoding to Opus in the latest versions, I might give that a try and see if there's any difference in the resulting file. I doubt it though, since they should all be using the same encoder.

Since the bitrate was relatively high (and I don't have any really great earphones, nor am I an audiophile with Golden Ears) I didn't expect to hear any difference between the various files, and that turned out to be the case. They all sounded pretty much the same, even on the cymbals. I'll try with higher compression settings later to see which one is the most tolerable at super low bitrates (64, 96, maybe 128).
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
They all sounded pretty much the same, even on the cymbals. I'll try with higher compression settings later to see which one is the most tolerable at super low bitrates (64, 96, maybe 128).

At 64kb/s, ogg vorbis and Opus sound pretty much indistinguishable. And both are noticeably better than mp3 at ~65kb/s (v9). They're actually quite listenable!
That holds up at 96kb/s quality levels. mp3 still sounds kind of tinny and garbly, but ogg and Opus are neck and neck ahead of it for me.
The same is true at 128, except that mp3 (v5) is more competitive and pleasant than it was before. You can still hear its weakness with cymbals at that level, but ogg and Opus do it better. I would probably need much better headphones to spot the difference between those two, if any.

Interesting to note is that ogg is still consistently producing the smallest files at all quality levels. At 64 and 96kb/s, the difference is a few kilobytes. At 128, it's only a few bytes. Then it jumps up again at 256 to the kilobyte range.

At the sub-256 levels, Opus makes smaller files than the LAME mp3 encoder, but at ~256 and above they're larger instead. I even tried 320kb/s CBR for both, and the pattern held. I wonder if the Opus VBR algorithm is more conservative of if there's still a lot of room left to improve the encoder. Ogg vorbis is really quite mature at this point.

Using the different encoders through foobar2k, LAME only gives you from ~65 to ~245kb/s VBR or 320 CBR quality levels for mp3s. Ogg bottoms out at 45kb/s and tops out at 500kb/s (all VBR). Opus can go from 6kb/s all the way up to 512kb/s with either CBR, VBR, or "constrained VBR" in 1kb/s increments.

All in all, I'm not quite ready to jump on Opus as my lossy format of choice just yet.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today over lunch me and one of the nurses invented telephone sex marketing. It's a combination of phone sex and telemarketing where they call you, get you horny, then try to get you to buy things to keep the conversation going. "Upgraded shipping makes me so horny," she says to me over salad.

Terrible idea, or the most terrible idea ever?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably already been done
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Sometimes I don't want to be included in something, and actively decline, even, but still feel a bit bad about being left out.

very strange

I don't understand myself.

Socially awkward fist bump.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pffffffffft.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you don't get the reference.
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catching reptiles and amphibians was always a enjoyed pastime of my childhood. I have never been grossed out by snakes or frogs, but even I think that those types of frogs are gross.

Look at this ugly thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 236, 237, 238  Next
Page 195 of 238

Jump to: