welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The post-postwhoring thead of DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 237, 238, 239  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyboards are pretty important for anyone, although I don't know that placement of the backslash is high on the list for most nonprogramers. I can learn to type on pretty much anything, but there's definitely something about flex in the keyboard, or it feeling mushy when you hit a key, that I'd prefer to avoid. Lenovo generally gets high marks for their keyboards. I think their laptops all look like they're recycling cases originally built in the early 90s, but I don't really care if it's reliable.

That's what I love about my MBP. In 6 years it's never crashed, it never hangs... it just works.
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my third Asus laptop because they are awesome. I have to keep up with the technology flow more because I do a lot of gaming. This and the previous laptop are part of their ROG series of gaming laptops. The batteries do tend to start declining after a few years, but I'm usually plugged in all the time anyways. As far as phones, I just recently got a smart phone for the first time ever (iphone). Laptop is higher priority for me, no question. Of course, laptops have a higher price tag too.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Lenovo keyboards is the direction in which they might be turning. Let's hope this is a one-off experiment.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are an awful lot of people loyal to the ThinkPad brand specifically because of the keyboards; they're insane to try and mess with it like that

It seems they've stopped making these as well, in favor of a more 'compact' design

a shame
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not nearly as in love with any keyboard as those folks. I don't really care about key placement. After a week or two I can type on anything, as long as the keys are there. I really only care about key spacing and the feel of the clickiness. Like, the squishy touch covers for the MS Surface tablets. I hate them. But the one with the physical buttons is okay.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kicking around on a year old HP Pavilion. I got it on sale for ~$400, which I thought was reasonable for a AMD A8 APU, CD/DVD drive (something I find seriously lacking in most thin, low-target-weight Ultrabooks), 6 gigs of RAM and a 15" screen.

I proceeded to buy a second one from my roommates girlfriend for $50, because she managed to shatter the case, so I have working spares for every part in my laptop.

On the topic of keyboards, mechanical keyboards all the way. They are just so satisfying to use.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Lenovo, from personal experience:

DO NOT BUY IDEAPADS. EVER.

THINKPADS I've had good experience with. It was robust, it has a wide variety of service locations, damn thing is still running 5 years later, fan's just a bit clogged.

IDEAPADS are SHITE. Within a month or two of owning it, I heard something rattling inside the case-a loose screw, I think. Eventually, it popped free and started tumbling around.. and eventually *hit* the fan. Which is when I sent it in to get fixed.

Ideapads have ONE service center: Texas. There are no certified ideapad repair places where you can go and drop it off. You have to call people who are desperately trying to fake an american accent to tell them what's wrong, have them write up a trouble ticket, and then send it off to texas.

Despite the problem being repeatedly described as "There is something rattling and tumbling around inside the case. Seriously, can you just put the screw back where it needs to go?", they also *SWAPPED OUT MY HARD DRIVE WITH A REFURBISHED ONE" because that's "Standard Operating Procedure". Thankfully I had started backing stuff up-

But wait! THere's more!

Another month goes by, and my laptop starts to pry up on the left hand side: One of the internal screws for the hinge is gone! Which was probably the hinge that had been rattling around in my laptopcase. Which we found wedged somewhere in the laptop case when *we* opened it up to try to fix it: *They didn't even fix the problem*!

But they DID create a new one! Because,you see, about *four* months after I'd gotten my laptop back, the hard drive has a massive failure in the boot sector. Everything gets recovered thanks to a friend that's a goddamn tech wizard, but he looks at the 'history' or whatever it is on the hard drive, and sees that it had started through faults-
About two weeks after I'd gotten my laptop back from them.

This was a bit ago, mind. I am currently happy with the refurbished ASUS I got off woot for like $300. Well, after I nuked it and shoved windows 7 onto it. (Huzzah for being able to get free copies of 7 due to being a physics grad student at my university...)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use service centers unless something's still under warranty and some major component has completely failed
which has never happened to me, oddly enough, it's always been the small stuff

if you don't want to deal with them then fix the damn rattle yourself

all machines are going to have problems eventually and usually they aren't particularly difficult to fix
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine if your laptop is out of warranty, but if it's in warranty then servicing it yourself can void whatever's left.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
That's fine if your laptop is out of warranty, but if it's in warranty then servicing it yourself can void whatever's left.

That had been exactly my concern.

Of course, given how crap the warranty repair turned out to be, I would have (and later, DID) do it several times myself, after going "WELP FUCK IT I can't do worse than they did."
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention laptop disassembly/assembly is a serious pain in the ass. Proprietary parts, weird case layouts, and amalgamation of smaller parts into larger parts, making individual replacement difficult.

My laptop, for instance, requires the complete replacement of the top chassis cover if either the touchpad, mouse buttons, or finger print scanner fails because all of those parts are permanently integrated into it.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm haggling with a customer service rep to see if I can get a $100 coupon that expired Friday applied today. My chances aren't good, but I have the benefit of being totally willing to walk away. Either they sell me the laptop at the price I want (what I would have paid on Friday if their website had told me the one I tried to buy was out of stock), or I buy NAHZING!
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago I applied for a research job, interviewed over the phone, and was understandably told I didn't have enough field experience. They liked me though, so they allowed me to interview for the position a level below, doing QA for the research team.

Two phone interviews and one on site interview later and I am told I didn't get the job "While we thought you would be a good fit with in our organization, we feel you are over qualified for the job at hand."

So I am over qualified for one, but not qualified for the position above? I hate job hunting.

Hope this plumbing thing works out in the fall.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently thinking that deadly poisons are deadly makes one a "close minded sheep"

pfffff

"closed-minded sheep" I could handle slightly better, I suppose
unless we've taken to calling '()' "close" parenthesis rather than closed ones

Or maybe "close" isn't supposed to be the adjectival opposite of "open"? Maybe they intentionally wrote "close" rather than "closed"? Maybe they're referring to something else? Like cloze deletion? Or a mind that brings something to an end, or is especially focused on the ends of things?

Or maybe they mean the differently-pronounced close, as in near, meaning that the sheep all have similar minds, or that the mind is similar to something?
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"close" is also defined as "an ecclesiastical term for lawn next to a cathedral or convent". so clearly, close minded sheep are sheep who prefer to graze next to cathedrals (and/or convents), undoubtedly considering it the best way for them to have access to The Word (short of becoming sacrificial lambs).

although i don't know why an ecumenical sheep would more likely to cohere to a scientific conclusion like "deadly poisons are deadly". unless it is because catholics tend to dissociate themselves from activities like snake-handling? and perhaps this person thinks the reason such catholic sheep do not handle snakes is because they lack the passionate belief of the pentacostals that true faith in the lord will allow one to overcome the poison of vipers and suchlike, thus rendering them non-deadly. they believe, in other words, that the sheep, for all their efforts, lack true faith; they have approached religion but not truly imbibed it.

this strikes me as a bit unfair, requiring as it does some rather sophisticated theological reasoning on the part of the sheep. but i guess that's what you get, if you go arguing with pentacostals.

plus it's a pretty complicated analogy. they could have just said "oh ewe of little faith!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 218, 219, 220 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
Page 219 of 239

Jump to: