welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stay warm, snuggle up near a burning koran!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemontree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fun:
Quote:
“It is the duty of Muslims to react,” said Mohammad Mukhtar, a cleric and candidate for the Afghan parliament in the Sept. 18 election. “When their holy book Quran gets burned in public, then there is nothing left. If this happens, I think the first and most important reaction will be that wherever Americans are seen, they will be killed. No matter where they will be in the world they will be killed.”
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell from that quote if he's advocating such a thing or warning what would likely happen if the Koran burning took place. And unfortunately nothing I can Google up sheds any more light, so I'm going to take it at face value. That being the case, forget Korans: throw Jones and Mukhtar on the fire.
Jinx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemontree wrote:
Koran burning spurs ex-CIA official to lead protest.

Sign The Petition: http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/632/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=4685

I'm #1102
nathan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
So, if I were to say: "We'll show these Muslims what's what. Find out where they live and show them what real muricans look like! But don't hurt 'em, we'se above that."

Or if I were to give out detailed directions to a mosque to an angry mob...

I wouldn't be directly inciting violence, so I'd be safe?

The second scenario would be over the line. If a person could reasonably foresee what the mob was going to do with the address, you'd be held responsible.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the Minority Report when we need it? Razz
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgive me if this already got posted

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/koran-burner-creepier-you-think

Quote:
The Florida pastor who is planning to burn a pile of Korans this weekend runs a church that has established a variety of cult-like rules for individuals studying to become ministers, according to the group’s “rulebook.”

The Dove World Outreach Center (DWOC), headed by Islam-hating Rev. Terry Jones, has been widely denounced for its September 11 bonfire plans. The tiny Gainesville church is headed by Jones and his wife Sylvia, a co-pastor.

The DWOC’s “Academy Rulebook,” a copy of which you’ll find here, was created in November 2007 by Sylvia Jones. The document, which details the standards to which a prospective DWOC minister must adhere, addresses topics such as behavior, study, and communication. It is also filled with the kind of creepy directions that are often associated with cults.

For instance, students are directed to cut off most contact with family members. “Family occasions like wedding, funerals or Birthdays are no exception to this rule,” the rulebook notes. “No phone calls. Exceptions can be made under certain circumstances but only after receiving permission.”

The Joneses also barred “Singles” from having “romantic relationships to the opposite sex…Except work things, there is no need to talk at all, or even flirt!” Students were barred from “eating out in restaurants” and warned that they would be weighed “once a week to follow the tendency,” an apparent reference to a weight goal established by the Joneses.

The rulebook--which is riddled with misspellings and grammatically challenged--notes that students must “wash or shower at least once a day but not more then 2 a day,” and make sure to cleanse “Mouth, sweat areas, hair, feet hands.” (6 pages)
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh. well, jones has one thing right:

Quote:
“Our burning of the Quran is to call attention to the fact that something is wrong,” Jones said at a news conference shortly after msnbc TV aired Petraeus’ comments Wednesday

of course, what's wrong is him, and people like him....and this may really call attention to that.

his rule book is really something - no wonder he's never read the koran, looks like he can barely handle english.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Terry Jones ... is planning a Koran-burning rally to protest the 9/11 terrorist attacks ...

This is a new low for what remains of the Monty Python team. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:

Quote:

The Joneses also barred “Singles” from having “romantic relationships to the opposite sex…

So uhm...what about romantic relationships with the same sex?

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they probably don't exists by definition
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
forgive me if this already got posted

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/koran-burner-creepier-you-think

Wow. The obsession with weight & clothe (sic) & sanity (sic). The students must be lean, clean, misspelling machines.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting off contact with your family? Following ridiculous rules? Being crazy? It's like a shoddier version of Scientology. Or just about any cult really.

Hehe, when I read "Dove World" I kept imagining a world made from liquid soap.
zeezee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe terry jones is a relative of jim jones.

the faithful should worry if he breaks out the kool-aid.

Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
INTERPOL issues global alert for increased terror threat if Koran burning in US goes ahead as planned

LYON, France – INTERPOL has today issued a global alert to its 188 member countries following the request of Pakistan’s Minister of the Interior, and its own determination, that if the proposed Koran burning by a pastor in the US goes ahead as planned, there is a strong likelihood that violent attacks on innocent people would follow.

Minister Rehman Malik personally contacted INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K. Noble to engage the world police body’s assistance in warning law enforcement of the increased terrorist threat if plans reported by the media to burn the holy book were carried out on Saturday’s anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

“One of INTERPOL’s primary functions is to prevent crime, and given that we have been made aware of a significant threat to public safety – an assessment which we share – it is our duty to ensure that we pass this information on to law enforcement agencies around the globe so that they can take appropriate measures,” said INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K. Noble.

“Although there are currently no specific details as to what forms of terror attacks would follow, what is clear is if the Koran burning goes ahead as planned, there will be tragic consequences, ones which may well claim the lives of many innocent people,” added Mr Noble.

INTERPOL has circulated Pakistan’s warning and its own alert to all National Central Bureaus around the world, and also has requested that any country receiving information about a potential threat to public safety contact INTERPOL’s General Secretariat headquarters immediately.

“September 11 is a day when the world should come together to redouble our efforts to prevent and fight terrorism, not a day when any individual, especially an American, should engage in provocative acts that will give terrorists propaganda intended to convert September 11 from a day of remembrance, to one of recruitment for terrorists and others inspired to attack the US and other western targets,” stressed Secretary General Noble.

“Pakistan’s actions in contacting INTERPOL to ensure that potentially vital information in helping police identify and prevent any form of terror attack is circulated worldwide are to be commended, and the reaction of INTERPOL and others around the world in response to this planned hateful act should be seen by the Muslim community as strong evidence that this man and his small congregation stand alone,” concluded Secretary General Noble.

In addition to circulating any related information to NCBs, staff at INTERPOL’s 24-hour Command and Co-ordination Centre at the General Secretariat Headquarters will be placed on alert and be asked to treat with urgency any information related to potential criminal conduct linked to the burning of the Koran.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously.. yes, yes, I understand its a 1st Amendment right.. but I think its past time for us to step in somehow. Can't some suit be filed against him and the church.. just long enough to tie things up in court til after the 9/11 Anniversary? And hopefully be just enough pressure to encourage this guy and his followers that this idea is not a good one? Pretty much every public official that has any voice has come out against this. When the whole world is telling you NO.. you're not following "God's wish".. you're just being a publicity seeking jackass.

Although, I'll admit it does frustrate me that we'll be tied into together with a SMALL fringe crazy group.. but because of their action, our entire nation will be seen as the enemy. But that seems to be the nature of the world now. The crazies have the loudest voices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: