welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stay warm, snuggle up near a burning koran!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemontree wrote:
Seriously.. yes, yes, I understand its a 1st Amendment right.. but I think its past time for us to step in somehow.

Hopefully the fire marshal will be on-site when they try to have their illegal bonfire. I'm sure there will also be counter-demonstrations to make the news. But really, how much can we do? File a lawsuit that you have no chance of winning and they can sue you back, probably also open yourself up to a SLAPP charge.

Quote:
Pretty much every public official that has any voice has come out against this. When the whole world is telling you NO.. you're not following "God's wish".. you're just being a publicity seeking jackass.

To this kind of fundy, that just encourages them because the Bible says believers will be persecuted. It also feeds into this pastor's craving for attention, notoriety, and publicity. It doesn't matter that you point out his endangering the lives of Americans and other people around the world, he'll justify it to himself and so will most of his congregation. You could probably even be the family member of someone who dies as a result of riots over this and it still wouldn't phase him.

Quote:
Although, I'll admit it does frustrate me that we'll be tied into together with a SMALL fringe crazy group.. but because of their action, our entire nation will be seen as the enemy. But that seems to be the nature of the world now. The crazies have the loudest voices.

Same with moderate Muslims. This guy is doing the exact same thing the Islamic extremists do by targeting everybody in a broad group over the actions of a few.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is sort of surreal to see everyone from Sarah Palin to Barack Obama uniting in criticizing this guy, though
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah palin criticized him? wow - he really -is- out on the fringe.

and of course, he absolutely is a publicity-seeking jackass, and all this is just feeding his ego.

it struck me today that someone needs to put together a bucket brigade, in protest. and douse him and his followers the minute the rally starts. see, his ideas are all wet...get it? anyway, if he can express his first amendment rights via fire, i don't see why the rest of us can't express them via supersoaker.

the only possible way to counteract this guy is to make him look as ridiculous as he is. it probably won't help any with the terrorists (soaking the koran is probably right up there with burning it) - but jeez, we gotta stop pussyfooting around these people. terror isn't the answer, maybe humor is.
zeezee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the media would ignore him, it would strip him of all the new-found power he is currently enjoying so much.

but that's not gonna happen, unfortunately.

Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the media would stop giving all of the neocon haters a pass and bring this particular chicken home to roost, perhaps everyone from palin to boner could share in the blame for this well-deserved shitstorm.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse... I love you so much for the bucket brigade idea.

Wheels wrote:
Same with moderate Muslims. This guy is doing the exact same thing the Islamic extremists do by targeting everybody in a broad group over the actions of a few.

Oh, ABSOLUTELY agreed. Thats pretty much what I meant by my statement.

Zeezee- I had contemplated that as well. Like what if we could somehow call for a media blackout. No cell phones, cameras, webcams, ANYTHING within 1,000 feet of this event. But even if its for the common good.. the media can't seem to help itself from covering it. Plus some will even argue its their duty.

Wheels- And I wish they'd just throw some sort of pre-emptive lawsuit at them. SURE it'll be thrown out and it'll cost the state a lot of money.. but hopefully it'll create just enough pressure to keep this from happening.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, according to something i just read, the congregation of dove whatever is about 50 people. there might be big=money types who will step in to help them fight a lawsuit...or maybe not. the congregation sure can't afford it.

i was thinking, cameras showing a rally of 50 people might say something...but of course, more people than that would show up.

but really, the media needs to be a bit more selective in who they cover in the first place. why did a loon like this ever make national, let alone international, news?
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
but really, the media needs to be a bit more selective in who they cover in the first place. why did a loon like this ever make national, let alone international, news?

Because its controversy and controversy = money.

The media would stand by, or worse encourage, a terror attack as long as they got exclusive rights to it.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, 50 people on camera looks like A LOT. Movies repeatedly use 50 people to fill stadium stands in sports films. When you have such a narrow viewing field.. 50 is a big number. And all they need is one image of a Qu'ran burning to play on repeat to recruit and insight furvor. I'll appreciate every anti-protestor that shows up on Saturday.. but in the grand scheme of things, it won't make a bit of difference it sounds like. All thats important is that it happens or doesn't happen.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the grand scheme of things, counterprotesters will be forgotten anyways. there were counter-rallies opposing Glenn Beck's "I'm In Ur Base Killin Ur Dream" rally, after all, and how much attention did they pay to that?

besides, just the fact that there's a pastor in America who's publicly stated he intends to burn the Qu'ran has had a negative effect on US-Muslim relations already. actual images of Jones and his minions burning the Qu'ran would just turn a shitstorm into a bigger shitstorm.
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
sarah palin criticized him? wow - he really -is- out on the fringe.

Admittedly, if you read Palin's statement, she said that buring Korans is something you could do, legally, but which would be a really terrible idea, like building a mosque at ground zero. Yeah, really.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, of course. because building a cultural center that extends a welcome to all religions is absolutely identical to burning sacred texts.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: News of the Bizarre Reply with quote

TPM wrote:
Pastor Terry Jones just announced on live cable news that he has canceled his Koran-burning plans. The reason? According to Jones, the organizers of the Park51 have agreed to move their project farther away from the World Trade Center site. That is a sign from god, Jones said, and just the kind of sign he and his followers were looking for to cancel the Koran burning. No word yet from the Park51 people on whether any agreement has been struck. Jones says he is heading up to NYC on Saturday to meet with the Park51 folks. Color me skeptical. More soon ...
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that, but Trump did just offer to buy the property on the condition that the Park51 project relocate.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's been rejected, which does nothing to mitigate the astounding number of pathetic attention whore points he's garnered for this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: