welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

existentialism in comics or in life
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taurobolium

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: existentialism in comics or in life Reply with quote

how does existentialist thought define itself in relation to other people? I mean, how can I define my personal values by my own history without a greater philosophy to apply to others?

It seems imbalanced, because you'll only be able to follow the 'golden rule' if you can remember being slighted yourself in the same way.
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow man, you've cracked existentialism. You've completely thrashed it. Call up dem philosophers and fucking tell them man. They're wasting their goddamn time. They could be doing useful stuff, like working at Starbucks and giving me my goddamn coffee.
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: existentialism in comics or in life Reply with quote

Semi-serious answer:

taurobolium wrote:
It seems imbalanced, because you'll only be able to follow the 'golden rule' if you can remember being slighted yourself in the same way.

If you honestly cannot answer this yourself, you shouldn't be allowed to come within 100 metres of philosophy ever again.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: existentialism in comics or in life Reply with quote

taurobolium wrote:

which you have been so it's fine.

That's why they have doctors slap you right at birth
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: existentialism in comics or in life Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
which you have been so it's fine.

PS not just by Willem, I mean
nathan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's saying any application of the golden rule falls prey to the problem of induction. Obviously, the solution to this faux-dilemma was outlined by Popper: only do unto others what you have previously seen them enjoy. If no previous experience exists, then do something completely random.

I'm gonna go tie noodles to a cat now. For Jesus.
nathan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading, I was totally wrong. He's saying we can't use our own emotional history to forecast somebody else's reaction, because there isn't a one to one correlation. The solution to this problem is to recognize that you're defining an "individual" as a container of X set of experiences. Since you don't have access to the other person's experiences for use in future-casting, and since your own may be inapplicable to their life, you must instead define into existence a third person(Person C) whose experiences are comprised of the set shared by both you and the person you're Golden Ruling. Then use external emotional cues (smiling/frowning/words of approval) observed from the other person, in conjunction with your own internal reactions to forecast the effect of the action on Person C. If person C would like it done unto them, person A is validated in doing it unto person B.

Of course this still runs into the induction thing, in which case see the prior post.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: existentialism in comics or in life Reply with quote

taurobolium wrote:

You are?

Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or does it sound like this guy is trolling for the answer to an exam question?
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Fest at its best.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Call up dem philosophers and fucking tell them man. They're wasting their goddamn time. They could be doing useful stuff, like working at Starbucks and giving me my goddamn coffee.

You act as if this isn't what philosophy majors aren't already invariably doing.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Kara leases medical equipment.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And didn't Halen 'major' in philosophy at Durham?

No, actually, we'll just rest at Dogen's point. Forget I said anything.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy of mine used to work at Starbucks, in his year there he had to teach four different people with philosophy degrees how to make coffee without burning the crap out of themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: