welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does $210,000 for a top-level domain sound?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just call me Marcel Wallace, and give me back my briefcase!
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I doubt it. There may be a .canon, but then what? How often do you type in an address anyway? You want to find Canon, you google "canon camera." Everything works the same, except now you can have funny domains like, "fondle.my.canon." Even if you did type in the address, the experience is the same, it's still coming through the same tubes, in the back of the same big truck. It's just a truck called fondle.my.canon instead of www.canon.com. Now, if top-level domain holders get preferential treatment from asshole ISPs who chuck net neutrality under the bus, then we'll talk. Until then this is another .tv or .biz.

I was ready to say that this article is a bunch of hot air from people who really just want to make money and is totally useless because I really don't type in addresses anymore, I google it but this reminded me of something: control of the brand.

If the domain is .canon, Canon is not going to approve a fondle.my.canon address. I am not sure of what problems currently exist with this kind of play on words but I do know what is a problem: cnaon.com bringing me to some stupid site that is full of malware and ads. It would really, really cut down on those mistyped addresses problem. A big commercially controlled domain can reroute those things rather than give any ad space to a 3rd party. That in and of itself could be worth the measly 25k a year.

I can also see movie studios using it for all their movie promotions instead of that oh so typical howmanywordsdoIhavetousetomakemymoviecalledWonderfulactuallycomeup.com or remembermegoddammitTHEMOVIE.com.

The more I think about it, the bigger it will be. Note: bigger to the marketing departments, not bigger to those who use the internet. But to a marketing department, even a little bit of growth due to some money hungry people making .fuji possible is a big deal. The rest of use just use google.

Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're totally right - what I meant (though didn't describe well) was that the .canon domain would allow them to play with the wording (whereas .com isn't a word at all), but obviously it would be something tamer like this.is.canon, or we.are.canon, or rebel.dslr.canon, or something. But my point is that none of that really matters, because I'm not sure how many of us get to websites by typing them in anymore, which also covers the cybersquatting thing. Granted, as long as people remember to type .canon on the end it will resolve to a Canon website (a "catch all" page is pretty standard) - which is a good thing, compared to what you get now - I'm just not sure what percentage of users it will affect. Or, for that matter, if we'll just see more domain spoofing if .canon is touted as being more secure than .com.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I don't know why more people don't just register their domain names in the Cook Islands.

.co.ck.

who wouldn't want that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
You sound like Republicans who decry opinions they don't like as "judicial activism." You think my post was "spam," do you? Well boo-fucking-hoo. It might also be called "criticism," but that would require you to have an intelligent response. "Spam" tries to get you off the hook without one of those, because you haven't got one. You didn't even try to claim this is of equal importance to France relocating the Roma, or the ACORN pimp, each of which got their own threads. You just went for the schoolyard, "yeah, well, you're an idiot!" response... which is why your thread sucks, dude.

If you had brilliant insights to offer, maybe you could carry a topic like this as a standalone thread. As it is, you apparently can't, so you should probably stick to the news thread. Or come up with a better way of handling people who disagree with you. Or find a forum where people are cowed by insipid criticisms like "your post is spam!"

You basically came off bashing my entire thread for it's very existence and you say I'm taking the school yard approach?

Wow, this is absolutely the MOST hypocritical I've ever seen you. Shocked

Simply posting in a thread to say how much you hate it is spam, plain and simple. I mean if you didn't like a thread why would you draw MORE attention to it?

Mizike: there was a school district in Iowa, I forget which one, that had the popular majority prevailed (i.e. true democracy) would have removed Algebra from the school's curriculum based on the people's reasoning that since a vast majority of the town was employed in agricultural pursuits they didn't need algebra. Thankfully the school board DID NOT give in to 'democracy'. Dogen seemed to be presenting democracy as a good thing, I was just pointing out that it Democracy can also go very, very bad too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now this is a high quality thread
Major Tom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the fuck is a domain?
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
You basically came off bashing my entire thread for it's very existence and you say I'm taking the school yard approach?

Yes. I don't really care if you think I'm a hypocrite, but even if I were it wouldn't absolve you for responding to criticism with sophomoric and meaningless rebuttals. Your responses either have quality, or they don't, independent of my responses. So, that's kind of a non-answer.

Also, I've responded on-topic more than anyone in this thread (other than you)! Huzzah, or something.
Willem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut the fuck up, Darq. Nobody cares about you and your shit.
kame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millions of years from now archaeologists will dig up an area rich in information from a bygone era. They will lovingly restore all these quaint pieces of technology that moved information around and did math. Scholars and scientists will marvel at the idea of these primitive machines being the impetus of a technological revolution the same way we regard the cotton gin, or the steam engine. They will decipher our languages, both natural and machine.

Then they will read about you two arguing the existence of a thread. If humor survives the evolutionary Olympics they will laugh at our pathetic sense of importance.

Thanks, assholes.
Bart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, leaving embarrassing notes for future generations is as old as humanity. Some proof from Pompei

Quote:
(peristyle of the Tavern of Verecundus): Restitutus says: "Restituta, take off your tunic, please, and show us your hairy privates".

At the same time those guys are deciphering 21st century electronics their little brother are likely rearranging constellations so they spell whatever the favourite rude word of the day is.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, Darq? Hypocrisy is the name of the game. While we're being dicks to each other, other people come out like sharks in bloodied water to be dicks at us for being dicks to each other. They make trivial posts about the trivialness of our posts, mocking us for mocking each other, and make low quality posts using thoughtlessly redundant memes in response to our low quality posts. Sinfest thrives on hypocrisy. Hypocrisy and Sam occasionally trying to kill himself and/or getting accidentally drugged. It's all good.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
Willem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHUT THE FUCK UP STEVE
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: