welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is american culture? Does it exist?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: sadfhS;AOFsdofh Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
So you're telling me that the slow pace of three posts a day when I don't post here is an improvement?

yes, any more easy questions pl0x
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
I re-read this entire thread and I've come to a conclusion. I think that America, as big and diverse as it is, is just now finally reaching a point where a cohesive cultural identity is really starting to emerge.

That's retarded. I suppose nothing much "American" happened in the 1800s or most of the 1900s? And you're basing this on the recent use of the word "alternative" as a genre adjective?

You mean that wasn't highly derivative of being some type of European concept and/or mainly profit driven in it's conception? Considering that during that time period most of the 'great' artists and artisans still went over to Europe to study? Then, with some music and a few works of literature being the exception, that is what I'm saying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
You mean that wasn't highly derivative of being some type of European concept and/or mainly profit driven in it's conception?

What does being "derivative" mean in terms of culture? Do you know how much Greek culture is derived from Slavic? How much Roman from Greek? How much English from German? This is how cultures develop, they don't spring out from a vacuum. Frankly I think the best thing to happen to American music was shameless theft from European and African traditions.
As for "profit-driven," what does that have to do with anything objective?

Quote:
Considering that during that time period most of the 'great' artists and artisans still went over to Europe to study?

Mark Twain, Fats Domino, Thomas Edison (a man who personified "profit-driven"), Walt Whitman... This is a stupid game.

Quote:
Then, with some music and a few works of literature being the exception, that is what I'm saying.

That's why it's stupid. Anything I toss out there you can lump under "being the exception." It's nuts. Do you honestly not think that even post-colonial America, even in the earliest of the 1800s wasn't plainly different from Europe culturally? Prove it.
Kanye West

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imma let you finish, Thy, Imma let you finish, but DragonWriter was one of the least welcome 'festers ev...

Wait, you say you're already finished, because you only had one sentence to blurt out incoherently? And that there's a very strong argument for you being less well liked than even DW? Well damn.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Complain to someone who cares. Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
So you're telling me that the slow pace of three posts a day when I don't post here is an improvement?

Here's a thought.

Convince tat to ban me or fuck off.
Mizike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Complain to someone who cares. Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Here's a thought.

tinkeringIdiot wrote:
BWAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

asshat

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Complain to someone who cares. Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Sam wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

Here's a thought.

Great work, buddy!
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Sam wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

Here's a thought.

Aww, I touched a nerve!
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Neither do false dilemmas. Reply with quote

Deadened nerves don't work that way.
Mizike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Neither do false dilemmas. Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Deadened nerves don't work that way.

tinkeringIdiot wrote:
BWAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

asshat

Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shit! I bet this is all a clever cover to hide the fact he's really a vampire. Or writes emo poems.
Puma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, there are times when I can kinda see where Darq is coming from with his first post. I mean, I still don't know anything about Snooky, but like this morning, one of the top stories on the Yahoo frontpage was "Secrets of Kim Kardashian's success." And I don't really know anything about Kim Kardashian, either, but apparently her route to success went something like this:
1. Make a sex tape
2. Hang out with Paris Hilton
3. Get a reality show
4. Date athletes
etc.

So maybe she's a wonderful person, I don't know, but the article certainly said nothing to indicate that she's ever really done anything notable, or that she has any particular talent, or that there's any reason for her to be elevated to the level of celebrity that she has been.

So, when the most prominent elements of modern American culture seem to revolve around vapid "reality show" stars, crappy bestsellers like Twilight, and things like that, then I can kinda Darq's original point, I think.

That said, I don't think it makes any sense to go from there to damning American culture as a whole.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that what she's famous for? i honestly don't know why these Kardashian people are famous. i thought they were some kind of warlike alien species from Star Trek.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Oh shit! I bet this is all a clever cover to hide the fact he's really a vampire. Or writes emo poems.
"or"?
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puma, the main argument here isn't whether stupid shit gets popular, it's whether this is any different from other periods in history. That we have vapid entertainment, questionably talented famous people, and a voyeuristic news media (if not, perhaps, a national consciousness) isn't really under dispute. But other periods had these same things, and worse (depending on your definition of worse), we've just glossed over them in our romanticization of the past. People have always been petty and lurid. We just get those qualities shoved in our faces now, while we bury the same in our past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: