welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, I hear you guys are having some elections or something?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magniflorious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
It's a democracy, just not a direct democracy (thank God).

Either way, I don't think this election really changes anything. Though I do think some of America's best policies have been as the result of true compromise between the two major parties.

As it is, I'd love to see some kind of reworking of the system. I'm not sure what it actually needs in terms of specifics, though.
"Yes."
[long pause]
"Friend!"
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magniflorious wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Either way, I don't think this election really changes anything. Though I do think some of America's best policies have been as the result of true compromise between the two major parties.

As it is, I'd love to see some kind of reworking of the system. I'm not sure what it actually needs in terms of specifics, though.

Like what for example? By all means enlighten us with this one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magniflorious wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

I couldn't disagree more unless you're discussing the past instead of the present. Strong action to remove us from a crisis was diverted by bipartisanship, which is less like coming together to take the best of both ideologies and more like hostage takers torpedoing aid ships every day.

Edit: And that past thing is simply my complete and utter ignorance of the legislative loins from which bills sprang. What landmark bills I do know faced very heated opposition, not tremendous fanfare for getting rid of separate drinking fountains.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To this day people curse and stamp their feet about all the public works projects roosevelt implemented, it was no different in his day either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Magniflorious wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Well, the only one that really comes to mind is entering WWI and WWII. . . so I guess that isn't saying much.
"Yes."
[long pause]
"Friend!"
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
With 70someodd % in chris dudley is winning in oregon.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...
Major Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magniflorious wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Magniflorious wrote:

Well, the only one that really comes to mind is entering WWI and WWII. . . so I guess that isn't saying much.
yeeeeaahhhh...if we need to go back 100 years to look at good examples of bipartisan success then we need to find a few other options that can create success a bit more expediently

Last edited by Major Tom on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Dro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Kitzhaber is closing the gap as Portland ballots are still being counted, and he has a 2 to 1 edge in Portland. Dudley's 21,000 vote lead just dropped to 18,000 in the last 10 minutes.

My local liberal DeFazio was re-elected as well.
Uncle Benny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing somewhere that back in the day, it was easier for legislators to work with each other because they all lived in Washington with their family, and eventually, everyone got to know each other better and was able to actually communicate across the aisle. After the late 90's, however, parties began encouraging their own members to go back to their home in their respective states during the weekends and don't even bother moving their family in to D.C.. the lack of socializing during the off hours made it that much more difficult for the various legislators to get a chance to actually know each other.

What does this all mean in a weird, convoluted way?

If they aren't going to communicate, they aren't going to work together. and if they aren't gonna work together, then we'll have nothing but a series of pissing matches. Instead of one large group of coworkers who will tolerate each other for the greater good, we'll just have two groups of strangers, glaring at each other across the aisle.

the bipartisanship of the past is dead.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Arc Tempest wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Kitzhaber is closing the gap as Portland ballots are still being counted, and he has a 2 to 1 edge in Portland. Dudley's 21,000 vote lead just dropped to 18,000 in the last 10 minutes.

My local liberal DeFazio was re-elected as well.

High fives for the defazio and not having nuclear waste watered down and stored in the foundations of buildings...booo to a six dollar minimum wage drop for anyone who could possibly recieve tips

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it begins already

Jim DeMint wrote:
Congratulations to all the tea party-backed candidates who overcame a determined, partisan opposition to win their elections. The next campaign begins today. Because you must now overcome determined party insiders if this nation is going to be spared from fiscal disaster.

Many of the people who will be welcoming the new class of Senate conservatives to Washington never wanted you here in the first place. The establishment is much more likely to try to buy off your votes than to buy into your limited-government philosophy. Consider what former GOP senator-turned-lobbyist Trent Lott told the Washington Post earlier this year: "As soon as they get here, we need to co-opt them."

Don't let them. Co-option is coercion. Washington operates on a favor-based economy and for every earmark, committee assignment or fancy title that's given, payback is expected in return. The chits come due when the roll call votes begin. This is how big-spending bills that everyone always decries in public always manage to pass with just enough votes.

nom nom nom
Willem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. No pot. Sad
Mizike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a surprising margin.

Two years of obstruction and gridlock ahead.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to miss john hall
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doooooom in oregon

Looks like dudley is maintaining his lead as the portland votes are counted, AND the republicans are poised to take control of the state legislature
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: