Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, I hear you guys are having some elections or something?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent all night celebrating. Pretty much everything happened like I expected. I won all bets.

This next two-year cycle is also, overall, going to be good. This is the traditional midterm rebound for the minority party plus the compound effect of what happens when all the old fucks truck out to vote en masse and the young people stay home.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/11/chart.html

which is why I was always saying that these gains were assured.

Take note: whenever a minority party benefits from this effect, it never sticks around for the next presidential election. Ever. :3
nathan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, this could be INCREDIBLY entertaining!

Surely they'll bump him, but one can dream...
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, with about 70,000 votes left to tally the Oregonian is calling the race for Kitzhaber. I'm not going to get my hopes up until all is said and done, but it's a hell of an accomplishment if he wins.

Our first third-term governor wins spending nearly HALF the money his opponent did? I'd say that's suitably historic.

Also: There's much hilarity to be had in trying to explain to younger friends (who are freaking out) that the west voting democrat is a fairly new thing and that republicans getting elected is not the end of the goddamn world.
Shadic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
In other news, with about 70,000 votes left to tally the Oregonian is calling the race for Kitzhaber. I'm not going to get my hopes up until all is said and done, but it's a hell of an accomplishment if he wins.

Tell me about it. I've been checking the results constantly since last night. He's currently ahead, and all that's really left to count is mother fucking Portland. Aka, liberal central. He's currently got 71% of the vote here. That was enough to give him the lead.

You're welcome, Oregon. Otherwise you would have voted yourself into having an ex athlete who can't make free-throws.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mizike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Spent all night celebrating. Pretty much everything happened like I expected. I won all bets.

This next two-year cycle is also, overall, going to be good. This is the traditional midterm rebound for the minority party plus the compound effect of what happens when all the old fucks truck out to vote en masse and the young people stay home.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/11/chart.html

which is why I was always saying that these gains were assured.

Take note: whenever a minority party benefits from this effect, it never sticks around for the next presidential election. Ever. :3

Politically, I'm right there with you, but this election is a policy disaster (albeit one that was a foregone conclusion).

Lost decade here we come.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudley has conceded oregon
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadic wrote:
You're welcome, Oregon. Otherwise you would have voted yourself into having an ex athlete who can't make free-throws.

Wow, the unthinking arrogance in this statement is impressive. Have you considered entering politics yourself?
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says we have voter turnout issues?

mouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess this is why it's a good idea to have a big family.

did the poll worker thing - really high turnout, we were starting to worry we would run out of ballots. statewide, i guess things turned out pretty well - really, really relieved not to have to deal with whitman & fiorina, but of course the republicans did well locally (i'm resigned to the fact that my congressman will remain in office until he is indicted, just like the last one and the one before that - ah, the joys of a solidly republican constituency!)

i was really hoping the congressional results weren't so lopsided....but we will see. as has been said - the republicans can't say they can't do anyting because they are in the minority any more. and it may be interesting to watch the teapartiers who did get elected learn about politics in the real world.

nothing to do now but batten down the hatches and ride out the storm. and hope that sam is right, again.
Shadic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Wow, the unthinking arrogance in this statement is impressive. Have you considered entering politics yourself?

Have you considered supporting worse candidates? I think I can manage to be a bit more confident that my electoral choice was the "right one" if the Republicans try and throw a Tea-Partier out there.

I actually like moderates. Real ones who have some opinions leaning both ways, not the "I don't pay any attention to anything outside my own life so I guess I'll listen to the ads" type of "Independent."

Besides, can you point to any part of my statement that was incorrect? Certainly his shooting aptitude isn't to be debated. Rolling Eyes

Not really considered politics. I'm not a very good sell-out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadic wrote:
Have you considered supporting worse candidates? I think I can manage to be a bit more confident that my electoral choice was the "right one" if the Republicans try and throw a Tea-Partier out there.

Are you trying to insinuate I supported Dudley?

Seriously, I'm trying to decipher what the hell this is supposed to mean.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
nothing to do now but batten down the hatches and ride out the storm. and hope that sam is right, again.

oh, don't worry, the storm will be hilarious. Boehner and McConnell will be caught between placating the teabaggers and placating the rest of the country, and there's more of the latter than the former. they may be celebrating now, but they'll soon realize just how fucked they are. and it's not as though Republicans winning the House has somehow made Obama no longer the president and incapable of vetoing stuff--not to mention the Dems still hold the Senate.

as long as you don't expect any new policy, the next couple years will be amusing.
Shadic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Are you trying to insinuate I supported Dudley?
Seriously, I'm trying to decipher what the hell this is supposed to ean.

Can't figure out what you were trying to say otherwise. Besides just be annoying, but that's the norm for this place.

Seriously though. The moment Republicans stop putting out absolutely retarded candidates and people manage to vote for them is when I'll be less "arrogant."

Last edited by Shadic on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know about "for this place," but you certainly haven't changed.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:

Politically, I'm right there with you, but this election is a policy disaster (albeit one that was a foregone conclusion).

Lost decade here we come.

No, see, think about it. Now the republicans have to at least pretend to govern. They can't say 'the democrats control everything and don't do anything!!1' and our spazzy short term memory world can go: now that the Republicans have control of the House, wheres the jobs? Why isn't the economy fixed yet? Why do we still have a deficit? Why are we still in recession? Are Republicans secretly Muslim and trying to ruin our country?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: