welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, I hear you guys are having some elections or something?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
No, see, think about it. Now the republicans have to at least pretend to govern.

Or they'll play the blame-game. We'll see. I expect a lot more bickering either way.

I don't even think I recognize you, Tom. I guess I'm flattered you do for me. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Mizike wrote:

Politically, I'm right there with you, but this election is a policy disaster (albeit one that was a foregone conclusion).

Lost decade here we come.

No, see, think about it. Now the republicans have to at least pretend to govern. They can't say 'the democrats control everything and don't do anything!!1' and our spazzy short term memory world can go: now that the Republicans have control of the House, wheres the jobs? Why isn't the economy fixed yet? Why do we still have a deficit? Why are we still in recession? Are Republicans secretly Muslim and trying to ruin our country?

Thing is... how long will the recession feel this painful? Aren't we already recovering and out of the worst of it? And the next election is two more years off.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dems still have the Senate and Obama still has the veto pen, and the Republicans didn't get to this point by making compromises with the other side--and if they attempt to do so, they now have a powerful wing of their party that will punish them for it. The government probably won't be doing anything to create jobs, but since the possibility of action will still appear to exist, companies probably won't be encouraged to start hiring because they won't know what, if anything, will come out of Washington. Hence, I doubt the economy will substantially improve in the next two years, and in 2012 it will be Boehner and friends explaining to the country why they didn't bring jobs and happiness and unicorns that poop ice cream.
Mizike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Mizike wrote:

Politically, I'm right there with you, but this election is a policy disaster (albeit one that was a foregone conclusion).

Lost decade here we come.

No, see, think about it. Now the republicans have to at least pretend to govern. They can't say 'the democrats control everything and don't do anything!!1' and our spazzy short term memory world can go: now that the Republicans have control of the House, wheres the jobs? Why isn't the economy fixed yet? Why do we still have a deficit? Why are we still in recession? Are Republicans secretly Muslim and trying to ruin our country?

As I said, it's politically ideal.

But the republicans have no interest in governance and our economy desperately needs more stimulus. When the republicans refuse to act, it will be good for Obama 's reelection hopes, but terrible for the country (and the kind of terrible that has long-term consequences).

It's quite fortunate that the now lame-duck congress was the most productive one in a generation.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
The Dems still have the Senate and Obama still has the veto pen, and the Republicans didn't get to this point by making compromises with the other side--and if they attempt to do so, they now have a powerful wing of their party that will punish them for it. The government probably won't be doing anything to create jobs, but since the possibility of action will still appear to exist, companies probably won't be encouraged to start hiring because they won't know what, if anything, will come out of Washington. Hence, I doubt the economy will substantially improve in the next two years, and in 2012 it will be Boehner and friends explaining to the country why they didn't bring jobs and happiness and unicorns that poop ice cream.

Technically, the Dems are still in power, because they hold one house of Congress and the Presidency. The fact that bills have to pass through both houses and the President means fuck all will happen over the next two years, and both parties will blame the other, just like they have been. Conservative bills that fail to pass because they're utterly partisan (like barring the government from enforcing labor laws or something insane) will be blamed on the Dems or Obama, and mediocre centrist bills that get shot down in the House will be blamed on Repubs.

The main difference will be must-pass spending bills, because they'll originate in the House and include ridiculous amendments that will make them take forever to get worked through. They will come out decidedly conservative, because Dems are huge sissies, and the Republicans will still blame Dems for not working with them.

These are my predictions. See me in two years.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this isn't much of a lost opportunity anyway, because even if the Democrats had held the House, their majorities would have been narrowed, especially in the Senate. And seeing as how the Dems had such difficulty passing bills with sixty Senate votes and a commanding House majority, passing the kind of massive stimulus bill that the economy needs would have probably been near impossible. That's the sort of thing that needs a retaken House and a mandate from the people for the president, like what he had in the beginning of his term, and two years of the Republicans investigating Obama's birth certificate and shit will help that.

But, yeah, two more years of the economy idling isn't really a good thing for the country. America shoots itself in the foot again.

EDIT: Case in point: McConnell's top priority is to make Obama a one-term president. How's that bipartisanship workin' out for ya, America?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadic wrote:
Can't figure out what you were trying to say otherwise. Besides just be annoying, but that's the norm for this place.

Allow me to clarify:

Shadic wrote:
You're welcome, Oregon. Otherwise you would have voted yourself into having an ex athlete who can't make free-throws.

In this line you managed to make yourself look smug and condescending while outright stating that only your magnanimity saved the electorate from itself. And even after having it pointed out how that looks, you don't seem to realize it.

Unthinking. Arrogance. I know they teach reading comprehension at PSU.

(And if your confused about my political leanings you could try reading the rest of the thread.)
Shadic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
In this line you managed to make yourself look smug and condescending while outright stating that only your magnanimity saved the electorate from itself. And even after having it pointed out how that looks, you don't seem to realize it.

I wasn't directly crediting myself - but the greater Portland area. (Fun fact: Due to how specific scholarships work, I wasn't even able to vote.) I figured that was at least somewhat obvious to somebody who wasn't reading the boards with some "Bitter, must complain about something" glasses." But eh.

So here, to all the world: My apologies if it seemed that my nonexistent sheer amazing was what turned the tides from Dudley to Kitzhaber. I should have credited 2 million people that live in the area, and their definite liberal leanings. That said, please stop voting for morons. Wink

Arc Tempest wrote:
(And if your confused about my political leanings you could try reading the rest of the thread.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadic wrote:
(Fun fact: Due to how specific scholarships work, I wasn't even able to vote.)

Could you elaborate on that? I wasn't aware of anything in the US other than a felony record or history of insanity playing a role in voter eligibility.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insanity can be used as cause to prevent one from voting? Really?

I mean, that question *should* be a joke, followed by a "just look at ______" type example, but it's an honest question right now.
Shadic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Could you elaborate on that? I wasn't aware of anything in the US other than a felony record or history of insanity playing a role in voter eligibility.

Sure thing.
I'm enrolled in the Western Undergraduate Exchange. Basically, if I'm a resident of specific western states (such as Washington, my home state) and enroll in certain universities that support it - Portland State, instead of paying the stupidly high out-of-state tuition fee, I can get more of a "1.5x in-state" fee instead.

However, due to how this works, I can't be voting as a resident of the state that I'm getting the scholarship for. I'm not exactly certain why, but I don't make the rules.

And I didn't realize this until the day after Washington's voter registration was cut-off.

So it's a little bit of me being dumb and procrastinating, and a little bit of my scholarship having some weird requirements.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my longer 'why I enjoyed this election' list

- Meg Whitman is out 140 million in a failed attempt to buy an election with personal funds.

- Tea Party involvement in Republican primaries pushed out electable candidates in favor of inelectable candidates who, effectively, saved Democrats some seats and cost the Republicans a real shot at the Senate.

- KY gets Rand Paul. Oh, I wanted this. I cannot wait for disillusion season.

- Bad Three died on fire.

- Personhood Amendments died on fire.

- I got a small pre-christmas present in the form of tossup win for Bennett over Ken Buck for CO Senate.

- The Democrats lost the "Senate Supermajority," a false conceptualization which worked primarily to the benefit of the Republicans. Sure, Dems got an amazing amount of things done, but this was via a common caucus. The Republicans could foist Lieberman against democrats and then say things like 'look they have total control and still can't get anything done!' — these next two years, Republicans have every opportunity to show the nation what a real deadlocked congress looks like, and otherwise pander with endless investigations equivalent to when they spent weeks investigating Clinton's christmas cards or whatever.

Next, The Palin Candidates acted as a good referendum on Palin's vetting, spent an election season doing dumb, dumb, things that got weird stares, and then went off to get trounced.

ONE: Sharron Angle proves she's just dumb enough to racially alienate herself, and scare the latinos into re-electing Reid.

TWO: O'Donnell, the most comically inviable tea party embarrassment possible, flames out and immediately begins blaming her inevitable loss on "GOP cannibalism."

THREE: Former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina lost. This is a very, very good thing.

FOUR: Lisa Murkowski is teh win in Alaska, as the first successful write-in candidate since Strom Thurmond in the 1950's (?). a stinging defeat for the Tea Party backed candidate Joe Miller, right in Sarah's backyard.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't register in Oregon because you have to be a resident to register, so to be eligible for your scholarship you have to maintain residency in WA. Makes sense.

Though I never thought your single vote would afford you credit for the outcome of the election anyway. Wink
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
- Meg Whitman is out 140 million in a failed attempt to buy an election with personal funds.

I don't have the link handy, but yes, that was a bit north of $140mil of her money, for $163mil total campaign expenditures (because of course she couldn't run entirely on her own wallet). What can $163mil buy? Well, that's $2mil more than the entire budget of the national endowment for the arts. God bless America, and God bless Capitalism.
Shadic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
You can't register in Oregon because you have to be a resident to register, so to be eligible for your scholarship you have to maintain residency in WA. Makes sense.

Yeah, but I can't get residency in Oregon either, which would make things simpler and cheaper for me. Crying or Very sad
In Oregon, apparently you have to be living in the state for two years, and not be going to school at that time. Bastards.

Dogen wrote:
Though I never thought your single vote would afford you credit for the outcome of the election anyway. Wink

Thankfully things weren't that close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: