welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wikileaks dropping the dox redux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mizike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so late, you've missed your due date.

Seriously though, this came out well before this most recent leak.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, though I am surprised the tabloids over here haven't begun each paragraph with 'renowned rapist, Julian Assange ...'
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they expect him to run & hide from the authorities in a catch-me-if-you-can way. Then they can report him as an elusive renegade hero which is much more fun

Then again, I've never understood a single thing about tabloids
Bart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
I think they expect him to run & hide from the authorities in a catch-me-if-you-can way. Then they can report him as an elusive renegade hero which is much more fun

Then again, I've never understood a single thing about tabloids

I don't think you can become a renegade hero if you're wanted for rape. That sort of stuff only works if your crimes are against "the man".
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, but what if the man is framing you because you made the man look stupid by showing everyone pictures of the man in his frilly undies being fed like a baby by a large busty lady in leather boots?
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
My bad, though I am surprised the tabloids over here haven't begun each paragraph with 'renowned rapist, Julian Assange ...'

Well, he's no Glenn Beck... Mr. Ass (is it okay to call him that? because I like it as a nickname. whatever, I'm using it now) has denied he raped anyone, while Glenn Beck is proud enough to have yet to deny he raped and murdered a girl in 1990.

Really though, this had all the feeling of a blatant smear campaign on the part of Sweden, so I pretty much dismissed it entirely, but... Interpol, who reviews cases before they issue their red notices, with part of the purpose of that specifically being to avoid getting involved with purely, partisan, political punishment, as a smear effort would be, so... given that, it seems there must be *something.*

Now, this is a question for Guest or Him (and yes, I shudder at typing the latter of those), but Mr. Ass hasn't been charged - the arrest warrant is currently still for questioning, apparently, and he's under arrest in absentia in Sweden, as meaningful as that is. In the US, if the case actually was strong (as again, Interpol taking it would seem to indicate), a grand jury could be convened, he could be charged officially, and then he could be tried in absentia (and his fleeing the country would probably act against him), and potentially convicted, to serve his sentence when he could be caught. As I understand it, he would have to be at least charged, formally, before most countries are willing to extradite him. So, Swedish-'festers, can they not do this in Sweden? Do you know of a reason they wouldn't at least charge him, if they thought he really did it? From an American perspective, if this investigation is all above-board, this just makes no sense.
Bart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case the movie ends with the crowds cheering you on when you are finally reunited with your true love.
Him

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Mr Gary wrote:

Well, he's no Glenn Beck... Mr. Ass (is it okay to call him that? because I like it as a nickname. whatever, I'm using it now) has denied he raped anyone, while Glenn Beck is proud enough to have yet to deny he raped and murdered a girl in 1990.

Really though, this had all the feeling of a blatant smear campaign on the part of Sweden, so I pretty much dismissed it entirely, but... Interpol, who reviews cases before they issue their red notices, with part of the purpose of that specifically being to avoid getting involved with purely, partisan, political punishment, as a smear effort would be, so... given that, it seems there must be *something.*

Now, this is a question for Guest or Him (and yes, I shudder at typing the latter of those), but Mr. Ass hasn't been charged - the arrest warrant is currently still for questioning, apparently, and he's under arrest in absentia in Sweden, as meaningful as that is. In the US, if the case actually was strong (as again, Interpol taking it would seem to indicate), a grand jury could be convened, he could be charged officially, and then he could be tried in absentia (and his fleeing the country would probably act against him), and potentially convicted, to serve his sentence when he could be caught. As I understand it, he would have to be at least charged, formally, before most countries are willing to extradite him. So, Swedish-'festers, can they not do this in Sweden? Do you know of a reason they wouldn't at least charge him, if they thought he really did it? From an American perspective, if this investigation is all above-board, this just makes no sense.

Given the back-and-forths of the case I am surprised it hasn't been dropped. I am not sure if you can actually get sentenced in absentia in sweden. None of my lawyer educated friends are online but I'll look into it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:

Frankly I'm a bit confused about the case myself. Reading about it you start to scritch your head eventually, because it makes no sense. The case was dismissed twice for lack of evidence, at one point the rape charges were dropped and instead he was investigated for 'minor' offenses like sexual harassment among other things and now the rape allegations are back.

As for him leaving the country, according to what I've read, he was actually given permission to leave the country. By the prosecutor Marianne Ny herself.

For all intents and purposes, the case should have been dropped already.

Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
zeezee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
'renowned rapist, Julian Assange ...'

i read that at first as "renowned rape artist'

weird

Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isnt rape as in he battered some woman held her down and had his way with her, the accusations are more of a sleazeball nature. He wouldnt stop when the condom broke and they asked him to type situation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
It isnt rape as in he battered some woman held her down and had his way with her, the accusations are more of a sleazeball nature. He wouldnt stop when the condom broke and they asked him to type situation

I haven't heard any specifics of the actual charges, but yeah that would still be rape. Supposedly he did have some kind of relationship tot the two women involved, in any case.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is still rape, however its a bit more believable a situation than that that scrawny blonde fucker is a stalking battering rapist.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeezee wrote:
Mr Gary wrote:
'renowned rapist, Julian Assange ...'

i read that at first as "renowned rape artist'

weird

That is officially the creepiest mental image Sinfest has given me in years.

That is actually saying a lot, too.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A DDoS took Wikileaks offline when their Swedish ISP couldn't handle the traffic, so they moved to Amazon's cloud service. That was short-lived, because Amazon kicked them off after some congressmen got huffy. Leiberman called Wikileaks' acitivity "illegal." Makes you wonder what it takes to qualify for freedom of the press, kinda.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: