welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the 112th congress
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unnamed?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I say this as somebody who argues with Creationists for fun; sometimes life is just too short to wade through partisan bullshit. And no, not everything is biased to one side or the other; it's entirely possible to report objectively or write up a piece that isn't slanted.

For what it's worth, I read it and despite some significant bias, it's an interesting read.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Conservatives need to expand the target, and to emphasize that the stakes of Obamacare include nothing less than the future of self-government in America.

interesting...as in 'marginally insane'?
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
High ambitions with control of just one chamber and Obama wielding the veto. What are the chances they'll get a two-thirds majority to override a veto? ... probably not too good.

Optimal!

This way you can introduce lots of crazy shit that looks good on partisan-paper, but "those damn democrats" didn't allow to pass.

All the benefits of bluster, with none of the repercussions of setting actual policy.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, this works equally well for the Dems, who could attempt to pass all sorts of grass-roots-backed initiatives. They won't, of course, because they are the kid who catches the kickball and has no idea what to do with it, and so wets himself and runs to the locker room crying.
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I've become incredibly depressed by politics in general lately.

In related news, found out literally five minutes ago that my sister just got a job as a congressional aid. Guess who just got nominated as nathan's political-frustration punching proxy.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For which congressperson? If it's a good one, that's nice. Maybe she can influence them to do... stuff.
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll not specify beyond "an Oregonian" one, because I'm the Dale Gribble of Sinfest.

That said, it's been a bit tragic hearing just how little the average congressperson seems to know about the bills they're supporting, and how often the support is for purely political purposes (i.e. Steve and Joe are both sponsors on this one, and we need their support on bill X, so sure, whatever this thing says go ahead and slap our signature on it so they'll do likewise for us).

Ugh.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and they're off! house votes to repeal health care

...which they are figure should be left up to "the free market" (what was it up to before?)

almost a straight party line vote - the sole democratic congressmen from OK, the dole ditto in AR and one of north carolina's democrats voted yes.
tinkeringIdiot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now it's on to abortion! Boner did say that they would be even more republican-y this time than last.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the federal government already can't fund abortions because of some rider that's perpetually attached to federal spending bills? Shouldn't he be more worried about addressing things that are actually possible?
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, but they have to keep renewing that one. this time it would be _permanent_.

because this is clearly the most important thing affecting the country. it's probably why we are trillions of dollars in debt, because of government funded abortions!

twits.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It creates an entitlement mentality - government abortions on demand! Making people responsible for their woohoos will lead to better work ethic, which will lead to economic recovery, which will allow us to get out of debt by getting rid of all the social services for the poor. Naturally.
nathan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
it's probably why we are trillions of dollars in debt, because of government funded abortions!

Given that each abortion could have become an additional laborer competing for a finite number of jobs, I think government funded abortions would actually be filed under "stimulus."

But then again, too much stimulation is what got us into this problem in the first place.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the gop is starting it's fight against the deficit, by voting to end public funding of presidential elections. this will save an estimated $612 million over the next decade, or $61,000,000/year.

the deficit is expected to hit $1.5 trillion this year -
$1,500,000,000,000.

so this vote will retire 0.000000407% of the deficit! in one fell swoop!

ok, so it hasn't replaced big money funding our elections. if the gop has it's way, we have no hope that will ever change. which of course is probably their plan. but still.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also in the news: issa is champing at the bit to begin overseeing stuff.

Quote:
的知 not for breaking up companies or taking a heavy hand, Mr. Issa said. 釘ut if Bank of America is too big to fail, then shouldn稚 we be insisting that they be and I知 not suggesting this but shouldn稚 we be suggesting that they find a way to not be too big to fail in whatever kind of divestitures they need, rather than putting them in that category of companies that are 兎ffectively backstopped by the federal government?

so he's not himself suggesting anything, just suggesting that we should suggest something that he doesn't personally suggest. yep, fun times ahead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: