welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Congresswoman shot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty crazy... I've been following the story, and the various stories about Loughner, since I heard about it this morning. I'm amazed she's still alive, and hope she got incredibly lucky. Still... so many weren't even that lucky. At least Boehner's first comments were good - "An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve." I appreciate the sentiment.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm utterly unsurprised that a multi-year spike in irresponsible, alarmist, right-wing rhetoric with allusions to violence and 'second amendment solutions' has coincided with a violent assassination attempt against a democrat.

I am also utterly unsurprised that this took place in Arizona.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McCain wrote:
“I am horrified by the violent attack on Representative Gabrielle Giffords and many other innocent people by a wicked person who has no sense of justice or compassion. I pray for Gabby and the other victims, and for the repose of the souls of the dead and comfort for their families. I beg our loving Creator to spare the lives of those who are still alive, heal them in body and spirit, and return them to their loved ones.

“Whoever did this; whatever their reason, they are a disgrace to Arizona, this country and the human race, and they deserve and will receive the contempt of all decent people and the strongest punishment of the law.”

All the statements from politicians I read prior to this one made no mention of God or violence towards the perpetrator, who more and more is looking like he is severely mentally ill. Suck a cock, McCain.
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the NTT live blog:

Quote:
Pima County Sheriff Clarence W. Dupnik offered an emotional, angry assessment of the state of America in the wake of the shootings in Arizona, saying that two of his close friends - Ms. Giffords and Judge John Roll - were among the victims.
Mr. Dupnik called the shooting a "very sad day for Tucson" and a "horrendous, horrendous, senseless, unbelievable crime." And then he blamed the crime on the rhetoric - presumably political rhetoric - in the country.
"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government," he said. "The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on this country is getting to be outrageous and unfortunately Arizona has become sort of the capital. We have become the Mecca for prejudice and bigotry."
Mr. Dupnik said it is time for the country to "do a little soul searching."
He added: "The vitriolic rhetoric that we hear day in and day out from people in the radio business and some people in the TV business ... This has not become the nice United States that most of us grew up in."
Later, he said: "It's not unusual for all public officials to get threats constantly, myself included. That's the sad thing about what's going on in America: pretty soon we're not going to be able to find reasonable decent people willing to subject themselves to serve in public office."

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're looking for a second suspect.
dazedb42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/user/Classitup10

It will probably be taken down as per his MySpace page, not sure about FB.

Conspiracy nuts are having a field day already. His FB was only set up recently as was his youtube channel.
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
All the statements from politicians I read prior to this one made no mention of God or violence towards the perpetrator, who more and more is looking like he is severely mentally ill. Suck a cock, McCain.

Not sure where he advocates violence against the perpetrator? All I see he he wants the strongest punishment of the law. Being this is a federal crime, it doesn't fall under state law so Arizona's death penalty may not apply here. What is the "strongest" punishment under federal law? I don't think there is a "lets kick the shit outta him" punishment, that would be violent.

Also, why does mentioning god warrant contempt for the man?

*Edit* Perhaps the death of the little girl and other non-government civilians makes the death penalty an available option but the attack on the congresswoman and judge counts as a federal crime. Even so, I don't consider the death penalty as advocating violence.
Jinx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forlorn Devil wrote:
I don't consider the death penalty as advocating violence.

Opinions differ. I personally oppose the death penalty in part because I think it does, if not advocate, at least sanction violence as a just solution.
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
Opinions differ. I personally oppose the death penalty in part because I think it does, if not advocate, at least sanction violence as a just solution.

I can't find a definition that clearly makes sticking a needle in someone a violent act. Violence is generally defined as the use of a powerful physical force with the intent to harm or destroy. Death itself is not violent, your body simply shuts down. If they still had electrocution then I can agree that would be violent, as it applies a powerful force to inflict death.
Fnorder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I were to poison you that wouldn't be violence?
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what's violent, alleged ties to a rightist group are now being investigated.

Quote:
A Department of Homeland Security memo quoted by Fox News says the agency is looking into whether Loughner is “possibly linked” to the fanatical group American Renaissance.

The group promotes views that are “anti-government, anti-immigration, anti-ZOG (Zionist Occupation Government), anti-Semitic,” the memo says.

[...]

The group’s website features what appear to be paid advertisements for tea party versions of the “don’t tread on me” flag.

Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fnorder wrote:
So if I were to poison you that wouldn't be violence?

No, unless people would say there was an outbreak of violence when a lot of people get food poisoning. Should I have a restaurant owner charged with assault if I get sick from their food?

But I agree with Mizike, this is getting off topic so lets drop it.
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Mizike's link found in the comments section...

Quote:

Jared Taylor
Party: Democrat

I am the editor of American Renaissance and am astonished by this DHL memo. First of all, American Renaissance is a publication, not an organization and therefore has no members. We have checked our records going back 20 years and Jared Laughlen has never been a subscriber and has never attended one of our conferences.

Further, the DHL characterization of our publication is nonsense. We are not anti-Semitic or anti-government. The word "ZOG" has ever appeared in our publication. All back issues are available at amren.com for inspection.

If this is the level of research typical of DHL, we are in far more danger than I would have ever imagined.

Jared Taylor, Editor, American Renaissance

And his response on their website http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2011/01/american_renais_16.php

Looking at some comments it seems they wouldn't describe themselves as a racists publication but a "White self interest" publication, but my overall my impression is they are racists, possibly closet racist.

This says it all. http://www.amren.com/ar/1995/02/index.html
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he really write DHL twice instead of DHS?
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
Did he really write DHL twice instead of DHS?

Lol, yea. But his response on his website is written properly. Whats also interesting his he listed himself as "Democrat".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: