welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World of Science BCE: Cloning Mammoths/34k year-old bacteria
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for woolly mammoths being cool. If I had a choice of recently extinct animals to resurrect for sheer wow factor, that would be in the mix. You give the counter example of nearly everything else, but give us a specific.

If a woolly mammoth was produced, people would go nuts to see it. I mean, look at this thing!

A giant sloth or sabre-toothed tiger would also appeal. There is something about the ice age, I guess. If we could go back a bit farther, the terror bird would be sure to delight and amaze the public. Especially if 100,000 of them were produced and released in Central Park.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also those megafauna can support saddles and weapon systems.
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God! We could put bears on them, they would be unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cixelsyD wrote:
My God! We could put bears on them, they would be unstoppable!

Hehe. It's your avatar, it's making me laugh at that more than I should.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:

A giant sloth or sabre-toothed tiger would also appeal. There is something about the ice age, I guess.

Yeah... hey, I have an idea, how about we take a wooly mammoth, a giant sloth, and a sabre-toothed tiger and--!
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we could put them on the back of the mammoths! instead of the bears!

although the sloths aren't all that terrifying. i mean, they have very impressive claws, but they are pretty much slow-motion.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Jurasic park Reply with quote

Canopus wrote:
This project sounds simply marvelous. However, I feel a bit short on excitement for the following reason.

I'm not arguing that this isn't potentially groundbreaking, but they could have selected a less mundane species to revive. To the layman, the woolly mammoth isn't much more than a hairy elephant. Hurrah, that's great. Let's move on.

I understand that the ancient pachyderm was chosen on account of extant genetic compatibility, but it just seems like a trivial provision to more conspicuous installments of biotechnological advances. Such as giving life to species that really stimulate the imagination: Pretty much anything else.

Ray Ramano ruined any positive qualities of the wolly mammoth.
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
we could put them on the back of the mammoths! instead of the bears!

although the sloths aren't all that terrifying. i mean, they have very impressive claws, but they are pretty much slow-motion.

Well, the surviving modern day sloths are. I imagine ground sloths were probably more like bears, lumbering and deceptively peaceful until disturbed. Otherwise every sabretooth and dire wolf would have been eating out its ass end.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Dro et al. Mammoths are fucking awesome. Elephants are cool. Shaggy dogs are cool. Shaggy elephants? Fucking. Awesome. Thy and his alt are overruled. Does anyone want to make a mammoth cake in celebration?
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Agree with someone, get accused of alt. Never change sinfest Reply with quote

Canned laughter dogen.

Years of canned laughter.

Don't let Ray's puppy dog looks fool you.

The man steals souls.
Canopus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: I think Dogen was joking Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Does anyone want to make a mammoth cake in celebration?

Sure, should we expect the ingredients to be available circa 2016? :p

Last edited by Canopus on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Does anyone want to make a mammoth cake in celebration?

I feel the need to check Cake Wrecks all the sudden...
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too long for the day when NFL quarterbacks can be sanctioned for hosting illegal mammoth fighting rings.
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
I vote for woolly mammoths being cool. If I had a choice of recently extinct animals to resurrect for sheer wow factor, that would be in the mix. You give the counter example of nearly everything else, but give us a specific.

If a woolly mammoth was produced, people would go nuts to see it. I mean, look at this thing!

A giant sloth or sabre-toothed tiger would also appeal. There is something about the ice age, I guess. If we could go back a bit farther, the terror bird would be sure to delight and amaze the public. Especially if 100,000 of them were produced and released in Central Park.

I'd see your mammoth with a Neanderthal. They used to hunt mega fauna like Mammoths and Woolly Rhinoceros with stabbing spears. Meaning they had to be up close and personal.

That last probably explains why the sorts of healed or partially healed injuries common to neanderthal remains are presently only seen in modern rodeo riders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: