welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve Irwin's death: Tragic, but expected.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Some Guy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Steve Irwin's death: Tragic, but expected. Reply with quote

Steve Irwin dead.

Suq.

*Edited the link to a longer, more inclusive article*

Additional Mega Edit: Former title: "News of the 'Well you idiot, what did you expect?" While I still feel that this man's death does not nullify his behavior and actions while he was alive, I have been persuaded to refrain from speaking ill of the dead so blatantly, so quickly. Responding to the merits of such claims, I have altered the subject to a slightly less harsh statement that more accurately reflects the collective feeling on this particular matter.

While most of this thread has more or less turned into a verbal hand job for the man, many of the points made have merit (though they seem to me to wreak of ignorance and one sidedness). Nonetheless, Steve Irwin was a man who made great contributions, (though his methods in doing so are significantly more nebulous) and as such will not soon fade from memory.
-!

Last edited by Some Guy! on Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So not suprised, but still kinda sad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dazedb42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually moored of that island a couple of years ago. Crickey! It's a lovely spot up there too. RIP Steve ( take me babies to play with crocodiles) Irwin. I'm gunna have a beer tonight for the man for sure.
Ekim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant belive he croaked .
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see why he should be called an idiot for doing a documentary on his dive off of Port Douglas. Care to explain?

If anything, it's rather sad, because two kids will now grow up without their dad. And I don't see anything idiotic about that -- only tragic. I don't understand why he should be flamed after his death either for things he did previous and irrelevant to this.

Edited for grammar mistakes.

Last edited by trustedfaith on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
I fail to see why he should be called an idiot for doing a documentary on his dive off of Port Douglas. Care to explain?

If anything, it's rather sad. Because two kids grow up without their dad. And I don't see anything idiotic about that. I don't understand why he should be flamed after his death either, for things he did previous and irrelevant to this.

I don't think he's really being flamed, I mean what was his job after all? "Coming as close as possible to animals that could kill him instantly and sometimes antagonizing them for the camera" is how I would put it. I can't believe he did his job without knowing and being at terms with the fact that this could happen basically anytime he was working. It's like being a king's poison tester and expecting to never get poisoned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sentiment on irc was basically this:

A stingray. Of all the ways he could die, a stingray.
Katrin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death by vicious crocodile bite would have provided a lot more closure.

Jokes aside, I'll miss this guy and his "Crikey"-stuff and what-not.
Valp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cri... nonono I won't say it.

Not that surprising after all. But I'm going to echo the IRC: a STINGRAY?!
That wasn't really something on the top-ten lists.

ah well, RIP Aussie with the insane eyes
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
I don't think he's really being flamed, I mean what was his job after all? "Coming as close as possible to animals that could kill him instantly and sometimes antagonizing them for the camera" is how I would put it. I can't believe he did his job without knowing and being at terms with the fact that this could happen basically anytime he was working. It's like being a king's poison tester and expecting to never get poisoned.

How is the topic, 'News of the "Well you idiot, what did you expect?"' not flaming him?
thewaitersitsondown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Steve Irwin. It turns out you were not, in fact, a two-dimensional cardboard cutout for us to laugh at and feel superior to after all.
Now that we realise you were a person, you will be missed.
Lurhis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Darqcyde was pointing out, if your going to get really close to something that can kill you and then piss it off, does seem kind of stupid.

I'm actually just surprised he lived as long as he did. I'm not gonna laugh at his death, I'm just mentioning that his luck was bound to run out eventually.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're trained to do something, it's usually not sheer luck that makes it go the way you had hoped.
Lurhis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but is that really the kind of job you can afford to have a bad day? Just one of those days where everything isn't working out the way it usually does?
If your going to play with death (trained or not) you're going to need some luck.
Halen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

How is the topic, 'News of the "Well you idiot, what did you expect?"' not flaming him?

Did you ever listen to Steve Irwin talk? It is an entirely fitting tribute, since it's entirely in his style. Perhaps the word "crikey" could be added.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: