welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve Irwin's death: Tragic, but expected.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurhis wrote:
Like Darqcyde was pointing out, if your going to get really close to something that can kill you and then piss it off, does seem kind of stupid.

I'm actually just surprised he lived as long as he did. I'm not gonna laugh at his death, I'm just mentioning that his luck was bound to run out eventually.

That's assuming a lot when there wasn't much detail given in the article explaining his death aside from him getting stung in the chest by a stingray.

And it still doesn't explain or justify calling him an idiot.

Halen wrote:
Did you ever listen to Steve Irwin talk? It is an entirely fitting tribute, since it's entirely in his style. Perhaps the word "crikey" could be added.

Yes, I've heard him talk. I've seen his shows. I'm not a big Steve Irwin fan. But I just don't see the need to flame him after he died a tragic death that has left two children fatherless, and his wife a widow.

I know he was in a dangerous line of work, and it came with the territory, but that doesn't mean we need to flame him after the fact.

*shrug*
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halen wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
I don't think he's really being flamed, I mean what was his job after all? "Coming as close as possible to animals that could kill him instantly and sometimes antagonizing them for the camera" is how I would put it. I can't believe he did his job without knowing and being at terms with the fact that this could happen basically anytime he was working. It's like being a king's poison tester and expecting to never get poisoned.

How is the topic, 'News of the "Well you idiot, what did you expect?"' not flaming him?

Did you ever listen to Steve Irwin talk? It is an entirely fitting tribute, since it's entirely in his style. Perhaps the word "crikey" could be added.

Kinda like saying it would be a entirely fitting tribute for you to die from playing Tetris at night?
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: HUGE teeth! Reply with quote

I miss him already.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
the sentiment on irc was basically this:

A stingray. Of all the ways he could die, a stingray.

Might have been a little outside of his territory. He was experienced with crocs et al... Yeah I miss him too
Not Phar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the reports I've read / heard he died doing what he loved. How many of us will say the same?

The guy was definitely a character. How much of that could have been idiocy given the fact of what he did as an occupation and how long he did it?

I tip a 40 of non alcoholic beer and whisper a "crikey" in your honor Steve Irwin.
Flion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darwin FTW. Well, not exactly, because he managed to reproduce. So, Darwin scores in sudden death overtime...

That seems a bit cold but the man had been injured enough times to know that sooner or later something like this might happen. Still, his life wasn't wasted, because lots of people learned more about animals through him. I hope that's a good enough legacy.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: what would you expect, you idiot? Reply with quote

Complete freak accident, not one that he should 'expect,' even if he was just some guy and not Steve Irwin. It's nearly impossible to get killed by a stingray.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be an 'entirely fitting tribute' if Some Guy was killed during a wedding after starting a fight with 5 men. That would at least have some comedy value. This does not.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
It's nearly impossible to get killed by a stingray.

Maybe he tried to stick his finger up it's ass.

It's unfortunate that Steve Irwin is dead, and perhaps his death really was a completely freak accident that couldn't of been avoided through caution.

But honestly, the man took alot of stupid unnecessary risks for the camera, I donít think itís wrong to acknowledge that there was a certain inevitability to him being killed by an animal.
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: what would you expect, you idiot? Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Complete freak accident, not one that he should 'expect,' even if he was just some guy and not Steve Irwin. It's nearly impossible to get killed by a stingray.

Exactly. Apparently, only two or three people have *ever* died this way.

And for the topic title, I was really hoping no one had gotten to it yet when I read the news; I was going to insinuate that Dennis killed 'im.
Amilam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never fear, we still have plenty of insane nature hosts willing to throw themselves / family at dangerous animals for a spike in ratings. However, who will fill the obnoxious Aussie stereotype now? Do they have someone waiting in the wings or is this decided in an American Idol-esque spin off?
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
Sam wrote:
It's nearly impossible to get killed by a stingray.

Maybe he tried to stick his finger up it's ass.

It's unfortunate that Steve Irwin is dead, and perhaps his death really was a completely freak accident that couldn't of been avoided through caution.

But honestly, the man took alot of stupid unnecessary risks for the camera, I donít think itís wrong to acknowledge that there was a certain inevitability to him being killed by an animal.

Acknowledging that he was living life on the edge with his work and calling him an idiot are two different things.
kame

The barefoot dude is australian, isn't he? He just seems somewhat more sane than Steve Irwin
timmccloud

trustedfaith wrote:
...But I just don't see the need to flame him after he died a tragic death that has left two children fatherless, and his wife a widow.

I know he was in a dangerous line of work, and it came with the territory, but that doesn't mean we need to flame him after the fact.

*shrug*

Some of us are being consistant. I called him an idiot many times when he was alive, I see no reason to stop calling him an idiot now that he's dead. Taking your baby near the mouth of a crocodile is idiotic. Talking the way he does (I've lived in australia, he hams it up for the cameras) is idiotic. Finally, I feel that having a family that you are responsible, and then making a living from playing tag with deadly animals is idiotic.

I feel sorry for his family and children. I would not wish a painful death like that to anyone. He did teach a lot of people about dangerous animals, and some people liked him - good for them. His death was a tragedy all around. But...

He is, was, and shall continue to be on the media he left behind, an idiot.

(edit - fixed the quote syntax)
Katrin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was magical timmccloud.

You should speak at his eulogy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: