Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Palestine Papers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Palestine Papers Reply with quote

For those not in the know: Start reading.

Is this getting any play in the US? I've been browsing the NYT, but I've found nearly nothing. I get that Lebanon, Tunisia and Egypt are getting more attention at the moment, but I'd expect more than one article from one of the most important US papers. How's the coverage elsewhere?
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonexistent. It was a headline/subheadline for like a day, but I've heard nary a word on newscasts since.
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first I've heard of them
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some coverage on NPR's site from a couple of days ago (via blog post) but I haven't heard anything via broadcast news. Though I haven't been listening much for the last few days.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. i hadn't seen anything of this. but then the israeli-palestinian situation in general hasn't been much in the news lately.
Willem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all depressing, really. The Two State solution isn't going to happen. The PA offered Israel everything without getting anything in return, but it still just "wasn't enough". Fatah and the PA are also utterly, utterly fucked. And to be frank, they deserve everything they get.

All this pretty much sank any hope - as if there was any - of this getting resolved in our lifetime.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found one little mention, on a story about olmert...it noted that the release of the documents was likely to make it much harder to reach an agreement.

sadly, i think you are right.
Cletus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw a story on Slashdot or somewhere calling it "the new wikileaks" - then nothing.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
It's all depressing, really. The Two State solution isn't going to happen. The PA offered Israel everything without getting anything in return, but it still just "wasn't enough".

A deep enough understanding of the current Israeli leadership leads one to say 'of course not.'

I mean, israel's goal is to essentially starve out and kick out non-jews and replace displaced populations and economies with jewish settlements, and offer any hope of doing otherwise only as a placation to minimize foreign intervention. I can't word it nicer. The plan is literally one of ethnic cleansing, and the current generation of Israeli leadership will accept nothing else.
Mizike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no there there.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the Youessian media is too busy going "OMG IT'S COLD WHY IS IT SO COLD GLOBAL WARMING WOULD BE NICE HUR HUR HUR" like they have every winter for the past several years.
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
A deep enough understanding of the current Israeli leadership leads one to say 'of course not.'

I mean, israel's goal is to essentially starve out and kick out non-jews and replace displaced populations and economies with jewish settlements, and offer any hope of doing otherwise only as a placation to minimize foreign intervention. I can't word it nicer. The plan is literally one of ethnic cleansing, and the current generation of Israeli leadership will accept nothing else.

Yeah, but now we've got it on paper.
zeezee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Sadly, the Youessian media is too busy going "OMG IT'S COLD WHY IS IT SO COLD GLOBAL WARMING WOULD BE NICE HUR HUR HUR" like they have every winter for the past several years.

yeah, that never gets old.

nor does "here it snows again!"

Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sam: Once more, I find your analysis overly simplistic; this is middle-east we're talking about it's nothing but byzantine. Too freakin busy to reply in depth and off incommunicado for 3 weeks this Sunday onward. Feel free to remind me late Feb if you want. Although I despise the current Israeli govt, I don't think they're complete morons.

Few items of note :
- If an "interested party" wanted to scuttle the current ME talks that would be the best way to do it.
- The source this time is Al-Jazeera, Qatari based...
- Lebanon just got a new PM. Read about which party backs him, and what would consequences be.
- Who would benefit if Egypt' dictatorship got toppled. This ain't Tunisia.
- Same topic : Who is supporting Mubarak, US, EU (lip service apparently), Israel of course but they will never admit it.
- The biggest threat PA can pull over Israel is 'one country'. That would be an Israeli nightmare, again read about it.
- Gilad Shalit. Nuff said

Shame on me, this is really a fascinating topic.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

@Sam: Once more, I find your analysis overly simplistic; this is middle-east we're talking about it's nothing but byzantine. Too freakin busy to reply in depth and off incommunicado for 3 weeks this Sunday onward. Feel free to remind me late Feb if you want. Although I despise the current Israeli govt, I don't think they're complete morons.

Am I saying they are morons? No. I don't even really think the plan is likely to fail. It's just now blatantly evident, and they shouldn't be allowed to claim otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: