welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Washington DC Sinners out there? Need bar ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CopperTop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Any Washington DC Sinners out there? Need bar ideas Reply with quote

Okay, a quickie about what's up: I'll be driving in a loop of the Midwest, mid-Atlantic and southern US with a 28 year old that has been diagnosed with terminal melanoma. She wants a trip to meet people and see the sights.

So, she's getting her wish.

One of the stops is Washington DC. The group I have been coordinating with has suggested that while in DC, we have a party for her. Think a Sinfest get-together at a bar, instead of the ones where it's like a convention and we try to get tossed from a hotel. However, the group of us organizing this are absolutely clueless about the DC area - the closest we get is one member works for an ambulance company that serves the Fredericksburg area.

Any of y'all have any suggestions on bars in the metro DC area? Prefer one that's close to a Metro station for those that don't drive and the place has at least an appetizer menu.

Thanks... and y'all would be invited to join in, of course.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

405 Eighth St. NW close enough to a metro station?

I can't remember.

Try Cafe Atlantico, P.O.V. Roof Terrace and Lounge or Bourbon Steak.
Jinx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are literally dozens of great bars in the DC area, many near Metro stops. In particular, you could look around the Clarendon Metro station, (Though, technically, that's Arlington, not DC.) and the Chinatown station. If you know where you'll be staying, I might be able to offer suggestions close to there, too.

Near Clarendon, I recommend Whitlow's on Wilson, though there are several others. Near Chinatown, amongst the many, my two top recommendations would be Fado or RFD.

Both of these areas are jam packed with restaurants, as well.

If you have more questions / requirements, I'm happy to help.
CopperTop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
There are literally dozens of great bars in the DC area, many near Metro stops. In particular, you could look around the Clarendon Metro station, (Though, technically, that's Arlington, not DC.) and the Chinatown station. If you know where you'll be staying, I might be able to offer suggestions close to there, too.

Near Clarendon, I recommend Whitlow's on Wilson, though there are several others. Near Chinatown, amongst the many, my two top recommendations would be Fado or RFD.

Both of these areas are jam packed with restaurants, as well.

Well, we're actually staying in Richmond, VA. However, because my companion wants to see Washington DC, that's where we're going to ask folks to come. The Arlington area is fine as well - and I've been told that a parking lot is a must, as the pink "Cancer Awareness" ambulance that will be the transport from Fredericksburg to DC is not valet or parking garage friendly.
Jinx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CopperTop wrote:
Jinx wrote:

Well, we're actually staying in Richmond, VA. However, because my companion wants to see Washington DC, that's where we're going to ask folks to come. The Arlington area is fine as well - and I've been told that a parking lot is a must, as the pink "Cancer Awareness" ambulance that will be the transport from Fredericksburg to DC is not valet or parking garage friendly.

Okay, parking lots can actually be a challenge. Chinatown might be right out, in that case. I'll do some thinking.

Have a date set yet?
CopperTop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
CopperTop wrote:
Jinx wrote:

Okay, parking lots can actually be a challenge. Chinatown might be right out, in that case. I'll do some thinking.

Have a date set yet?

We'll be in the area March 13th. When this whole thing started, I was told this would be the one thing I would not have to plan.

However, the lass that was supposed to be working on this is a paramedic and had a few days off evaporate on her.

If you ever want a logistical nightmare, try getting a cat across the country without the little fuzzbutt flying in cargo.
Jinx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it was going to be that week.

I fly out to California on the 12th, and return on the 20th.

If you park the ambulance at a Metro station (Franconia / Springfield is convenient to I-95 coming from Richmond), you can get almost anywhere that is Metro accessible, including Chinatown.
CopperTop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
I knew it was going to be that week.

I fly out to California on the 12th, and return on the 20th.

If you park the ambulance at a Metro station (Franconia / Springfield is convenient to I-95 coming from Richmond), you can get almost anywhere that is Metro accessible, including Chinatown.

I'm sorry, but I really get no choices in the timing. I wish I could meet you, it sounds like fun.

Thank you for your input. It has been a lot of help.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CopperTop wrote:
If you ever want a logistical nightmare, try getting a cat across the country without the little fuzzbutt flying in cargo.

i know you don't want to hear this at this point, but i've flown american airlines with a cat in the passenger area (had to be small enough to fit in a carrier that fits under the seat in front of you), and i think there's at least one other airline i found that will let you take small pets in the cabin (there is an additional charge, $50 on AA a couple years ago, and you have to make a reservation).

that being said, the driving around the country sounds great (as long as said fuzzbutt doesn't spend the whole time in the car yowling its head off) - hope you all get something planned without going insane. and i would say d.c. is a must-see on a tour of the country.

good luck.
CopperTop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
CopperTop wrote:

i know you don't want to hear this at this point, but i've flown american airlines with a cat in the passenger area (had to be small enough to fit in a carrier that fits under the seat in front of you), and i think there's at least one other airline i found that will let you take small pets in the cabin (there is an additional charge, $50 on AA a couple years ago, and you have to make a reservation).

that being said, the driving around the country sounds great (as long as said fuzzbutt doesn't spend the whole time in the car yowling its head off) - hope you all get something planned without going insane. and i would say d.c. is a must-see on a tour of the country.

good luck.

Darling Vanna will be flying to her new home on March 7, in coach. Once her fuzziness has had a day to acclimate to the house, she gets to bond with the child and the man while I'm on the road. Delta Airlines waived the fee for the cat once their customer service department found out the purpose of the trip.

I contacted a pal of mine and he actually had the perfect spot for this shindig - the Cantina Marina. Parking lot across the road, 2 blocks from the Metro and reasonable prices. Another group I talked to suggested some overpriced, celebrity chef owned tapas bar. Rolling Eyes I don't know about you folks, but I sure as heck wouldn't ask people to pay $10 for a beer and $9 for some bread with shaved ham on it.
Jinx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CopperTop wrote:
I don't know about you folks, but I sure as heck wouldn't ask people to pay $10 for a beer and $9 for some bread with shaved ham on it.

Welcome to DC!
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's pretty much everywhere down there, barring the seedy corners.
mouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CopperTop wrote:

Darling Vanna will be flying to her new home on March 7, in coach. Once her fuzziness has had a day to acclimate to the house, she gets to bond with the child and the man while I'm on the road. Delta Airlines waived the fee for the cat once their customer service department found out the purpose of the trip.

yay for delta! - hopefully they will be as nice in flight as american was to me. miss munch was very much a cuddler, so i was holding the carrier in my lap after takeoff, with the zipper down enough so she could stick her head out and i could pet her. one leg the attendant said (nicely) she had to stay zipped up under the seat - but at the end of the flight he came back and apologized; seems in a recent flight, a cat had escaped its person, somehow got into the cockpit and scratched up the flight crew. so i could totally understand why they were a little leery of unrestrained cats.
CopperTop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
CopperTop wrote:

yay for delta! - hopefully they will be as nice in flight as american was to me. miss munch was very much a cuddler, so i was holding the carrier in my lap after takeoff, with the zipper down enough so she could stick her head out and i could pet her. one leg the attendant said (nicely) she had to stay zipped up under the seat - but at the end of the flight he came back and apologized; seems in a recent flight, a cat had escaped its person, somehow got into the cockpit and scratched up the flight crew. so i could totally understand why they were a little leery of unrestrained cats.

On our first flight (BGM to DTW), Vanna flew in her soft sided carrier under the seat, grumbling about the yappy little dog in the back of the plane. At DTW, while waiting for the flight to DFW, she accepted the cooing and "aww, it's a kitty" comments of the others waiting on the flight. She was considerably quieter than the small children on that flight.

Now that she's home, Vanna runs the house. She's all over YouTube and Facebook, as well as the FARK.com "Caturday". Just my luck, I adopt a celebrity cat.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, even the non-celebrity ones tend to run the house...

but it sounds like the trip went well - glad to hear it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: