welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Sugar Toxic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: time for a new jar Reply with quote

Last edited by Oneponytoruleall on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Moustache wrote:
But it is still per 258 grams of peanut butter....

Yeah. No one eats a cup of peanut butter. They have a 32g (2tbsp) option, which is considered a standard serving (at least according to my peanut butter container).
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, here it is estimated at 15... cultural difference or unfair advertisement?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

Well, what I mean is people who eat 0 or near zero amounts of sugar shouldn't be factored in at all. I want to see what the median and modal averages are as well. I'm also pretty sure, going by cookie and candy recipes alone, that their is easily a significant amount of the population who eats several factors greater than what is presented.

but the figure is the _average_ for americans. so you have to include people who eat no sugar. they may eat weird, but they are still americans.

true, more statistics would give you a better picture. but it sounds like what you really want is to see the high numbers. just because some people are at the extremes, doesn't mean the average isn't meaningless. you know, bell-shaped curve and all?

it would also be interesting to see what the levels are like for people in other countries, and some estimates of what it was like say 50 or 100 years ago in the US. hard to say how different things are from just one point.

No it's still misleading. It's like doing a survey for 'average amount of time Americans spend driving', why would you include people who don't drive? Wht you would really want is 'Of those who drive, what is the average time they spend driving' so with sugar you'd want 'Of those Americans who consume more than zero (or nearly so) amounts of sugar, what is the average amount of sugar consumed'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you don't. Stop being wrong.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
mouse wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

Well, what I mean is people who eat 0 or near zero amounts of sugar shouldn't be factored in at all. I want to see what the median and modal averages are as well. I'm also pretty sure, going by cookie and candy recipes alone, that their is easily a significant amount of the population who eats several factors greater than what is presented.

but the figure is the _average_ for americans. so you have to include people who eat no sugar. they may eat weird, but they are still americans.

true, more statistics would give you a better picture. but it sounds like what you really want is to see the high numbers. just because some people are at the extremes, doesn't mean the average isn't meaningless. you know, bell-shaped curve and all?

it would also be interesting to see what the levels are like for people in other countries, and some estimates of what it was like say 50 or 100 years ago in the US. hard to say how different things are from just one point.

No it's still misleading. It's like doing a survey for 'average amount of time Americans spend driving', why would you include people who don't drive? Wht you would really want is 'Of those who drive, what is the average time they spend driving' so with sugar you'd want 'Of those Americans who consume more than zero (or nearly so) amounts of sugar, what is the average amount of sugar consumed'.

Except that if you want a good average you have to either exclude or include the extremes from both ends of the spectrum.

Cutting of one of the extremes but not the other doesn't give you the average so much as just a higher number to prove that all americans are lard-asses.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri, that's a hurtful and obsolete stereotype!
Our asses are now made from 100% vegetable shortening.
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Oneponytoruleall on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:

Except that if you want a good average you have to either exclude or include the extremes from both ends of the spectrum.

Cutting of one of the extremes but not the other doesn't give you the average so much as just a higher number to prove that all americans are lard-asses.

Nope, it just changes the population being sampled. Don't make me venn diagram this.

Last edited by Darqcyde on Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This I've got to see.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Nope, it just changes the population. Don't make me venn diagram this.

DO IT DO IT DO IT
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subset
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zing!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me put it another way: If we were discussing the ill-effects of red meat and we were trying to see how much red meat Americans consume on average, would it be more or less accurate to include vegetarians and other non-beef consumers in the survey?
Mizike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY ARE YOU SO DAFT?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: