welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you name your colors in Spanish?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Can you name your colors in Spanish? Reply with quote

Name these colors (there's a point to all this)

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Black
White
Grey
Brown
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mizike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All but purple. But I could circumlocute my way there. Why?
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I can do it in French. I can get half/two-thirds-ish in Spanish.
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do most in french, none in spanish and a handful in german.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you name your colors in Spanish? Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Name these colors (there's a point to all this)

Red rojo
Orange naranja
Yellow amarillo
Green verde
Blue azul
Purple morado
Black negro
White blanco
Grey gris
Brown café o marrón

Answers above in white. Done from memory though I am actually quite upset - I should have known those much faster.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
All but purple. But I could circumlocute my way there. Why?

Well the standards are changing, like café vs marrón, violeta vs morado, and naranja vs anaranjado. I was curious what everyone was taught.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is actually a huge amount of variation in español from region to region. A person from North Mexico has a hard time communicating with someone from South Mexico: Veracruz, where I was, is a particular example as they bitched about the tourists from Mexico City and Mexico City citizens though Veracruzanos were hicks (kinda like a person from New York visiting Arkansas but beyond accent to whole vocabulary differences). The closer the area is to the US, the more likely the words will migrate to something close to english. To support my theory, I am hoping someone has learned Argentine español or Spain español.

Try ordering food and see what you get. There are a lot of foods that have the same name but will get you something completely different depending on the restaurant.

Personally, I have never heard of anarajado though café and marrón were used to mean the same thing most of the time. I never quite understood why or when one was used over another though I was only corrected once in my usage (and it was for a martial arts belt so it was probably some rule).

edit: this also reminded me to reinstall my dvorak international keyboard. I even like this one better because it uses deadkeys instead of all alt shortcuts though it has that too. I made the last one and I found this one which doesn't interfere with my windows shortcuts so yay!

Mizike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Well, I was taught morado, but I would have guessed violeta -- so yay!

I was also taught marrón and naranja and actually remembered those.

I studied a bit in Spain, but I recall no color differences. There are numerous other lexical differences between Castillian Spanish and American Spanish, though.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who speak languages that are only spoken in one or two countries (originally - example engnlish!) don't understand what it is like to speak a language where so many regions have had access to the language for centuries, without crossover. This causes shifts within the language that are very major. Spanish is the one I am most familiar with and I can with confidence say you might as well start giving new names to what people speak in Argentina, North Mexico, and South Mexico to differentiate between the languages. They are not speaking español, they are speaking their own version of español. The difference between castillian spanish and "american" spanish is only the most obvious one - it is much more extensive than that. Though, they can still understand each other for the most part.

I am not as familiar with it but I suspect Chinese is similar considering the different regions. I am told Hindi is the same as I know of students from India would speak to each other in english because it was too difficult to understand each other in their native dialects.

Except with that much difference between the two, can you call them dialects anymore? I vote that if you can't understand each other enough, you should call it another language.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:

I studied a bit in Spain, but I recall no color differences. There are numerous other lexical differences between Castillian Spanish and American Spanish, though.

My wife said similar things and both her previous Spanish teachers were from Spain.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Rosetta Stone offers two flavors of spanish: latin america and Spain.
Mizike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Mizike wrote:

My wife said similar things and both her previous Spanish teachers were from Spain.

I should be more clear. While I later studied in Spain and noticed no color differences, the Spanish I learned in high school was decidedly American Spanish.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck you spain and your 'vosotros'

speak spanish motherfuckers, you're more embarrasing than when the british pretend they can speak proper english

*Americas supremacy*
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
you're more embarrasing than when the british pretend they can speak proper english

*Americas supremacy*

*eyetwitch* Mad
Canopus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolly bloody good show, Sam! Shall we discuss the flavour of labour over tea and cookies?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: