welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yes, I know, Ponies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 218, 219, 220  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least she got an extra hour in the ball pit!

(No, it wasn't a pony convention. Honestly I don't know what kind of convention it was even supposed to be, but it didn't live up to even that.)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was supposed to be a Tumblr convention

not "some specific thing that tends to get hosted on Tumblr" convention, a Tumblr convention

maybe focused more on geekery than on hipster photographers or whatever, but still a generic all-fandom,every-genre Tumblr convention

as if Tumblr is in itself something worth having a convention over rather than just yet another platform to dumpblog things you like

it's almost as ridiculous as if they held a Facebook convention, expecting it to be something big
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your ball pit and raise you a rock pit

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full schedule for the MLP:FiM marathon starting Monday, August 4th. Basically, every episode in order plus the Equestria Girls movie between seasons 3 and 4.

Then some random Gen 3 direct-to-video specials thrown in at the end. You remember Gen 3, right? Rainbow Dash always dresses in style, darling, and Pinkie Pie looks like this.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Gen 3 art and toy styles were alright, but the show was unwatchable to me. I don't expect much from kid's media, but it was kind of mind numbing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the G3 cartoons were direct-to-video, though

no one ever saw them without intentionally seeking them out

aaaand I just looked that up to verify, and I think someone's trolling Wikipedia. It currently states that The Princess Promenade "received mostly positive reviews from critics, and became the first successful My Little Pony animation to date [citation needed]"

G1 was way better

gtg, I have some sea ponies to call upon
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, because it was a random return I came across at the library while checking stuff in. And I was all, "Oooh...ponies!" I didn't know anything about the different generations. I just figured, "Hey, I like gen1, animation and sparkles! Yay!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be glad it wasn't G3.5, I guess?

____

Here is an image of my Spirit Animal on the subway with one of the Reasons That I Dislike The Writers Of That Other Franchise:

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasbro is cutting a deal with Shapeways to let a team of artists sell 3D-printed pony models.

Hope Hashbro can get in on this, unless the uh... incident has disqualified him.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, probably best to avoid WeLoveFine going forward.

http://steveholtvstheuniverse.tumblr.com/post/92700944115/a-work-in-futility-the-welovefine-experience
Quote:
As many of you are well aware, WeLoveFine is a shirt company that boosts “T-Shirts designed by fans for fans” motto. Their slogan and idea is simple enough, hire fans/artists to work with their acquired licenses and selling those shirts to said fans/artists.

They hold design contests that allow them to gain a better idea of what will sell and in turn lead artists on with the promise that they may potentially be hire by WLF under their MightyFineArtist program - a program that would allow artists to submit their work whenever and to gain commission from their art rather than one fixed flat rate.

The MFA is invite only but WLF insists that if an artist holds enough contest wins under their belt that they may be admitted into the program. They claim that they treat their artists fairly however, this ultimately isn’t how it goes down over at WLF.

More under the cut:

To start off: WeLoveFine makes far more money by paying flat rates for designs rather than to actually hire artists and pay their 10% commission, which is a decent commission but I digress.

By winning a contest the artist pretty much hands over the complete rights to their work and can be used by WLF however they see fit. Typically this isn’t a problem but when you’re trying to get hired by WLF, it does become an issue.

How does it become an issue? Because once you sign over your shirt WeLoveFine can do whatever they please with it. They’re out to milk artists as much as possible while trying to pay as little as they can.

Take for instance artist Samba Neko who has won not one or two contests, but has won a good solid six contests. When asked if she could be finally admitted into the MFA program, she was told that WLF isn’t looking for pony artists. I, having four shirts and two contest wins under my belt, had inquired and was told the following:

Their response was completely understandable and, while I was under the impression that MLP was still selling incredibly well, I can see why they would want to move away from it. I was just about done with this when the next day they had announced a brand new artist under the MFA who had not only NEVER competed in contests or submitted art to the program, but was an MLP ANTHRO artist.

Yeah, because that isn’t incredibly shady.

Over the coming weeks I, and other artists like PixelPrism, LeekFish, and Samba Neko, had continued to ask WLF about this and how they were admitted into the program before us. Their answer was always the same “Oh try again next time hey! Enter more contests!”

They were INSISTING on us continuing submitting designs to their contest in hopes of a $250 flat rate prize. So far out of the 12 winning MLP designs, 9 had come from us.

By the way, this was all occurring during the ordeal with the blatant cheating and rigged voting in the MLP contest. But, much like most of our other questions, this went on deaf ears..

So, what was the deal? Why weren’t we being hired?

Because, as said earlier, WeLoveFine makes far more money by never actually hiring the contest winners.

Rather than to pay the artists more and to offer them a fair commission, they just pay the $250 for top sellers and do what they want with the designs. This is how they pocket more money and this is how a contest shirt winds up being sold at FYE.

And the thing is, this isn’t even just for MLP stuff. Winners from the Gravity Falls and Steven Universe contest have inquired about the MFA program only to AGAIN be told to enter more contests.

Now, there’s testing an artist’s skill and how well their work is received by the community, and there’s trying to get as much art with as little money as possible.

This is how WeLoveFine operates and will continue to do so because for being “by the fans for the fans” they do an excellent job in ignoring feedback and suddenly not replying to numerous emails all on the same subject. WeLoveFine is too big and we, as artists, are too small to even had our voices heard or acknowledged.

I can’t do anything about the problems at hand, I can only refuse to submit any more work into the company for cheap.

That and also this write-up. I’m not here to tell you not to support a company that does this to it’s artists, but I am here to tell you that this sort of behavior shouldn’t go unnoticed or unchecked.

http://fauxboy.tumblr.com/post/92927949092/katyfarina-a-work-in-futility-the-welovefine
Quote:
I’ve had my work used for bravest warriors contest promotions by WLF, and had I signed an additional contract by them, probably would have been screwed out of a shit ton of money. They paid me a really low flat-fee for my art (which I took because I really really needed it) but then they tried to wriggle in another contract to be able to use my art for print, with the only compensation being a gift card…

WLF is a toxic company that perpetuates the disrespect of artists. I urge you to reconsider supporting their business model. Threadless is a much better alternative, and in my opinion, have higher quality products.

http://cvilbrandt.tumblr.com/post/92704122123/a-work-in-futility-the-welovefine-experience
Quote:
Hey, y’all — you want to know why I stopped doing anything with WeLoveFine? This is why (among other things.) After the last snafu, I gave them another chance to make good, because I believe that people are good and there’s goodness in the world, yadda yadda. But alas, my good faith was misplaced. Oh well. Win some, lose some!

Anyway, not touching WLF again with a ten-foot, twenty-foot, or even thirty-foot pole, not for buying or selling.

http://tinyfishbowl.tumblr.com/post/92889132846/a-work-in-futility-the-welovefine-experience
Quote:
uh, duh. I honestly never understood why artists let these shirt companies like WLF and Threadless use them. If someone’s ever going to use your design and not pay you a percentage of every shirt sold: you’re getting ripped off.

Not getting royalties could maybe be forgiven if the artist were at least paid a decent, fair, amount for the initial design - but it’s always usually under 1000 or so. $250 is a complete joke. They make that back off of, what, 10 shirts? Then go on to sell 100+?

You don’t even need these fucking sites anymore. Use stuff like societey6 or better yet cut out the middle man and get your own shirts printed yourself with a local company (there are plenty).

These companies are making bank from artists acceptance that they’re being underpaid for the exposure. One of the biggest mistakes you can make as an artist.

http://purplekecleon.tumblr.com/post/92916168610/a-work-in-futility-the-welovefine-experience
Quote:
For a while now I’ve been pretty agitated with WLF. Back when I entered the MLP contest probably 3 years ago, I got an email saying my entry was in the top ones (it’s still there) but I needed to sign a release form saying they could use it for whatever they wanted… before even letting me know how far I qualified.

As it turned out, I won… a 50 dollar gift certificate. That was not even enough to cover 2 shirts with shipping.

My previous experiences with shirts have been with threadless, where I collaborated with my friend Alice. I can’t even remember how much money we initially got for it (I think it was 500 each?), but every time our shirts are reprinted we each get 250. Also, they give store credit for making winning designs.

Not only does WLF not do that (the store credit thing), they don’t pay artists fairly for reprinting. How much money has my shirt made them? At the cost of… however much 2 shirts from them cost to print? They didn’t even pay to ship it. So they’ve literally made hundreds/thousands from my fucking shirt and I got… 50 dollar gift certificate. That’s it.

So take that into account for their many designs, and consider the very little the artists got in return.

It was pretty stupid of me to sign without finding out what I was going to receive in exchange, and so that’s a lesson learned, here. Please take from my lesson and shun these extremely shady “business” practices which treat fanart as not “Real” art deserving fair pay, despite the huge amount of money to be made from it.

I’m glad to see an actual post about the shit they’re pulling though, because I felt like my anecdote alone wasn’t really enough to make a post about.

TLDR fuck WLF for paying dismally and not giving a shit about the artists themselves or fair compensation.

http://leekfish.tumblr.com/post/92701944332/a-work-in-futility-the-welovefine-experience
Quote:
So yeah, this is one of the big reasons why I decided to pull any of my remaining contest entries and refuse to enter anymore. (It’s a bummer, cause I planned on submitting Mary Sue and How to Train Your Dragon designs.) I’ve had 6 shirts produced through them, 4 of which were contest winners. I entered other contests as well and scored pretty well, and my designs generally seem to be well-received. I don’t have to prove jack squat to them, and I’m done playing their game.
Let this be a lesson- beware of “contests” like these that are actually just free spec work. Beware of being led on with false promises such as, in this case, employment.
tl;dr: Be careful, because even companies that boast about being fan-friendly might try to take advantage of you.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm glad I never ordered any shirts from them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinkie has the same beard as me:

although hers is a bit more versatile

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazmynGrey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ridiculously excited for this marathon. I have only recently gotten *mildly* obsessed with MLP ... purely for the amusement of my nearly 2 year old of course.... So it will prove a lovely break from all of the other ridiculous kid shows that we violate her "appropriate screen time" amounts with because dangit I need background noise.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4 Rainbow Dash reacting to G3 Rainbow Dash in the marathon bumpers.
Yep, they went there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 218, 219, 220  Next
Page 219 of 220

Jump to: