welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Intelligent People Drink More Alcohol
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not quite seeing how 'evolutionary novelty' or whatever he calls it, fits in. if you think about it, bread baking probably dates back to about the time of alcohol production (both bread and beer uses yeasts or other fermenting organisms). so smart people should also eat more bread.

but really - when you were offered your first drink, did you immediately think "in terms of human evolutionary experience, this is a reasonably new thing, dating back only thousands of years - i must try this" (if you excepted it) or "ugh. strange new stuff. water more older. want water" (if you refused it)?

i mean really - who stops to work out how long a thing has been part of the human diet before they decide whether or not to consume it? some dogs will drink beer - if his hypothesis is correct, you should similarly be able to relate dog intelligence to their propensity to drink beer.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, yeah, my friends had a dog who was sometimes called Booze Hound that would trick you into looking away and steal your beer.

I mean, all things considered, it was pretty clever for a dog... She did the same for sausages, though.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sausages are also a relatively recent evolutionary event! probably even more novel than alcohol!

YOUR FRIEND'S DOG IS CLEARLY A GENIUS.
Snorri

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried sitting down with your friend's dog and the list of unsolved math problems and making him solve them for treats?

Sam

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I don't recognize any of those drink names.

boulder will fix that.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Have you tried sitting down with your friend's dog and the list of unsolved math problems and making him solve them for treats?

She's actually passed now, but considering the friend that owned her I would not even be a little surprised if that had happened at some point. I'll have to ask sometime.

"By the way, was your dog a revolutionary in the math world? Is she why you have that job at Google now? Be honest."

Sam: I DON'T UNDERSTAND. It is clear to me now, I really am stupid and the fact that I don't drink enough is just proof of this.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Samsally wrote:
I don't recognize any of those drink names.

boulder will fix that.

Not if you're one of the happy ignorant. Seattle has got to be one of the most pretentious cities I've ever lived in, in terms of their devotion to silly mixed drinks and rare liquors, but I made it out of there knowing very little more than I started. Of course, like Boulder, it has a thriving microbrew market, so ordering a good beer passes for having good taste with most people.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... OH, you think location has shit-all to do with it? God, what do you think people DO for fun in North Dakota?

I'll give you a hint. It involves a lot of booze.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Oh... OH, you think location has shit-all to do with it? God, what do you think people DO for fun in North Dakota?

I'll give you a hint. It involves a lot of booze.

Yeah but due to it being North Dakota people probably start with a bottle of wodka just to get up in the morning.

No fancy drinks. (Unless you count pouring it into a glass as fancy.)

Samsally

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a retarded amount of people willing to drink really shitty beer, actually. Vodka is reserved for when the bar has a sale.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesus you poor girl, if you're ever in eugene I'll give you a tour of what you're missing

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
jesus you poor girl, if you're ever in eugene I'll give you a tour of what you're missing

Haha, thanks. It's not so bad; discourages alcoholic behavior, anyway. Well, for me. The masses remain undeterred.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: