welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ever-Evolving list of Republican Presidential Candidates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

so who's it going to be, for reals.
Newt Gingrich
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Mitt Romney
42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
Mitch Daniels
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Ron Paul
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Tim Pawlenty
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Sarah Palin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rick Santorum
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Jon Huntsman
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Some complete outsider
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 40

Willem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/some-people-didnt-really-understand-that-romney
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one.

EDIT: Mike Rowe?! Nooooooo! Sad
Snorri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Sam wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
According to the reporter who originally provided the quotation, it was clear to all present a the time that Romney was joking about rolling down airplane windows. Which doesn't really surprise me, but must be a sore disappointment to the rest of you. God, political partisans make me sick.

So wait, honestly. we had like two posts to this narrative, I jump in to defend him saying its not a fair thing to judge him on even assuming he wasn't joking, we move on to something else kinda right away.

I wasn't talking about you. Your response was reasonable and nuanced. But by my count there were five or six other festers whose immediate reaction was "Hur Hur, Romney doesn't know how planes work. He is the next GW."

Here's where I'm coming from. I haven't seen any strong evidence prior to this that Mitt Romney is an idiot. If anything, his life story indicates that he's probably got above average intelligence. He graduated cum laude from Harvard law. He made shit tons of money running a private equity firm, which is not normally something that stupid people do. Grasping, amoral, corrupt people? sure. But not stupid.

Snorri is right that the quotation was presented without context. But that sword cuts both ways. The paper didn't end the paragraph with, "...Romney said jokingly, to laughs all around." But it also didn't say "...Romney intoned gravely, clearly unaware of that airline cabins are pressurized during high altitude flight."

In the face of this, when someone reads a quotation from an objectively smart man, and that quotation can be interpreted in two (or more) ways, one of which makes him look like a drooling idiot, and their immediate reaction is to put that latter spin on the situation, well, either they are as dumb as they're claiming he is (which I doubt is the case), or they are so deeply invested in the idea that the "other guy" is not only wrong, but inferior to them as a human being, that the evaluate all of his statements through a lens of aggressive intellectual dishonesty. They prefer an interpretation that makes the other team look as bad as possible to one that makes sense.

And that's sad. It's the same impulse that the Republicans draw on when they insist that Obama, despite his Harvard degree and life of accomplishment, must be an empty suit affirmative action president because he uses a teleprompter. It's petty and self-satisfied, and it's both a symptom and a cause of much of what is wrong with politics in this country.

I think it's not unreasonable to believe that Romney is capable of saying stupid shit. I know plenty of intelligent people who've on occasion said something stupid.

I think though, that that is actually just a result of us stereotyping. The Republican Party has brought us in it time candidates and politicians that were/are so mind-bogglingly insane, stupid and clearly inept that we have gotten used to thinking "yeah, I can picture a Republican saying that" and thus are less critical about such stories.

We do not view Romney as an actual person, we view him as a stereotype. (the same goes for Obama btw.)

I don't doubt that what you said applies to some of this. But I think you're reading a sense of wilful hatred in it that isn't really there.

Adyon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Snorri. Our canidates get judged on such a superficial level. That's why they don't say much besides talking points. Because that's what the public wants to see. It makes them easier to "categorize" as cliche stereotypes.

And as one of the few that said anything, I must be part of the people who you think was proclaiming "hurr hurr" he was the next GW and obviously am just enjoying partisan politics because of it. =P I can honest say, I don't think of him in any way as stupid. I didn't know at the time if he had said it as a joke OR seriously, though I honestly thought it was probably a joke. I really don't care either way. What I said was meant as a comment for poking fun. Heck, as it's become clear, I hate partisan politics. Doesn't change the fact that the story was funny to joke about.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
EDIT: Mike Rowe?! Nooooooo! Sad

On one hand I'm disappointed, Mike's become this hero for blue collar workers, but at the same time I'm also aware that's he's basically said in interviews that he'd do anything for money. I dunno, maybe they've found that 67% of his viewers are Romney supporters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ember778

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Yeah, sure. You know the rasmussen isn't a well respected non-bias poll or anything.

Romney's campaign is totally dead.
Mizike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You- you're actually serious, aren't you?
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure what he's saying
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's saying he believes the single poll that gives romney a chance of winning, vs. the however many that all agree that he really doesn't.

however many=4
Quote:
In three of the four national tracking surveys published on Thursday, Mr. Romney trailed by margins of six, seven and eight percentage points. He also trailed by five percentage points in a one-off survey published by Fox News. The exception was Thursday’s Rasmussen Reports tracking poll, which showed the race in an exact tie, although that was improvement for Mr. Obama from a two-point deficit on Wednesday.

and even rasmussen shows him losing ground to obama.
Willem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, that was sarcasm. that's some poe's law shit right there.

sorry, duder, but mittens is fucked.

and frankly, the only poll that matters is 538. and that's currently showing obama leading 320 to 219. 83,9% chance of winning. if the elections were held now, it'd be 97,8%. give up. accept it.
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imma just leave this here: http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/politics/2012/09/28/sot-nr-blitzer-romney-polls.cnn#/video/politics/2012/09/28/sot-nr-blitzer-romney-polls.cnn (
further corroboration)
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbert had a bit on that last night. apparently they were resorting to things like pulling out the people who said they were "extremely interested" in the election, and saying if you looked just at those, then romney was ahead.

so we just have to be sure than people who are just generally interested get out and vote.
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So in this chart you see, if we restrict polling to attendees of the RNC, Romney is leading by almost ten points!"
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no see the only people who will be allowed to vote will be Republicans. bam! Romney landslide! take that, Nate Silver!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 40 of 43

Jump to: