welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the 112th congress
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: the 112th congress Reply with quote

this is mostly a placeholder; i'm expecting things to get amusing. for starters:

Quote:
Republicans in the House also will have the entire Constitution read aloud from the floor of the chamber. The move is a shout-out to the new Tea Party lawmakers, who have argued that Washington has strayed too far from the intentions of the Constitution’s authors.

i'm really hoping there will be some coverage on how many of our congressmen (and particularly the new tea partiers) actually hang around to listen to the thing.

first up on the roster for 112th hijinks - repeal of obamacare!

because:

Quote:
“Obamacare is a job killer for businesses small and large, and the top priority for House Republicans is going to be to cut spending and grow the economy and jobs,” Brad Dayspring, a spokesman for Mr. Cantor, said in a statement. “Further, Obamacare failed to lower costs as the president promised that it would and does not allow people to keep the care they currently have if they like it. That is why the House will repeal it next week.”

that's right, fans - in the 9 months since passage of health care reform, and years before it's fully implemented, obamacare has not only failed to cut spending, it's entirely responsible for the high unemployment rate! AND IT MUST DIE!

this should be fun.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High ambitions with control of just one chamber and Obama wielding the veto. What are the chances they'll get a two-thirds majority to override a veto? ... probably not too good.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, they have no chance of actually doing it. which means it will just be an exercise in bloviating, and wasting time.

what will be interesting will be seeing just how much essential business they are willing to delay for this show, what lunacies they will produce in arguing against it.....and just how many of the the republican majority will actually hold together with them.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or if they make it part of the debt ceiling legislation.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, see something like that will lose them whatever even semi-rational (or at least experienced) republicans there may be left. and it will still not get past the senate.

but again - it will be interesting to see what time-wasting foolishness they come up with.
The Highlord

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also been promises of hundreds of frivolous investigations to further bog down our already gridlocked legislative body. This is going to be painful.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and i'm hoping the long-term pain will be theirs.

but we will see.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... and does not allow people to keep the care they currently have if they like it.

wat?
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/09/28/obamacare__the_costs_of_the_welfare_state_107333.html

Real long but worth reading imho.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I've made it a rule to not take seriously anything said about "Obamacare." This guy uses it throughout the whole spiel.

In fact, "Once he was president, Obama turned the details over to Congress. (Why wasn't the plan called "ObamaDon'tCare"?)" Because then pundits, spin doctors, and campaigning Republicans wouldn't be able to use it as a rhetorical barb on the president, duh.
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I'm sorry, but I've made it a rule to not take seriously anything said about "Obamacare." This guy uses it throughout the whole spiel.

Understandable. However, almost anyone who has an opposing view to the Healthcare reform will likely refer to it as "Obamacare." Avoiding such labeling will only limit yourself to one partisan viewpoint. I much prefer to listen to both sides and mentally edit out the parts that really detracts from the points being made.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forlorn Devil wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Understandable. However, almost anyone who has an opposing view to the Healthcare reform will likely refer to it as "Obamacare."

Only if they want to perpetuate partisan spin and inaccuracy, so no I don't feel too bad about it.
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Only if they want to perpetuate partisan spin and inaccuracy, so no I don't feel too bad about it.

Isn't it all spin? Everyone writes with an agenda in mind these days, its all spin. The trick is to weed through the information to find the bits and pieces that paint the real picture. Sure, there will be partisan spin and inaccurate information thrown from both sides, but I wouldn't ignore it when they happen to make a good point just because of a clear bias. I personally don't wholly agree with either side. Its your choice to ignore information based on perceived partisanship, I just feel its more beneficial to have a better understanding of the arguments poised by either side and that would require digging through the veil of misinformation.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say this as somebody who argues with Creationists for fun; sometimes life is just too short to wade through partisan bullshit. And no, not everything is biased to one side or the other; it's entirely possible to report objectively or write up a piece that isn't slanted.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been put on disability and have medicare and medicaid and absolutely love it compared to my old insurance. As long as you avoid the HMO's that are constantly trying to get you to switch to their plan it's great coverage. I say raise our taxes and give everyone this kind of coverage.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: