welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bear Grylls is a pandering wannabe.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly can and will blame him. Ahem:
Wiki wrote:
Grylls was shown trying to lasso "wild" mustang in the Sierra Nevada that were in fact tame and had been hired from a trekking station nearby.[14]
A scene where a crew member wore a bear suit to simulate a bear attack due to inability finding a tame bear. [15]
A scene where Grylls was purported to have escaped from an active volcano by leaping across lava, avoiding poisonous sulphur dioxide gas, was actually enhanced with special effects, using hot coal and smoke machines.[16][17]
Similarly, another episode gave viewers the impression that Grylls "was a 'real life Robinson Crusoe' stuck on a desert island", while in reality he was on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and retired to a motel at night.[14][18]

That is a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Now, as I said, things have changed and they stopped doing that crap. They also put in a disclaimer that says he isn't unaided and that people are helping him out. They have been a lot better about it since season 2.

But I still think he is a dick for doing it in the first place.

Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know how to emphasize the fact that the TV series is an educational entertainment show any more than I already have.

He's not supposed to risk his life to demonstrate a point.

The fact that so many people have been led to believe that he is, speaks volumes about the imagined quality and credibility that Discovery apparently has.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmm....."educational entertainment show"?

how is leaping around over (supposedly) hot lava and pretending to be shipwrecked "educational"? what do you suppose is the probability of an average viewer actually finding themselves in those situations?

actually showing how to build a shack (however long it takes) would be more education, i think, rather than just showing the existence of said shack.

lava and bears and wild horses, though.....that sure sounds like he _wants_ everyone to think he's risking his life.

by the way, vis-a-vis the robinson crusoe is actually on hawaii thing - anyone remember the alton brown show, on shipwreck-survival cooking? now _that_ was educational!
Halen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I don't know any other way to say that lassoing a tame horse while saying it isn't a tame horse is LYING.

Or for fuck's sake, a man in a bear costume while implying that it is a real bear is LYING.

I don't really expect him to put himself in real harms way but ^that is a good reason for people thinking he is a dick.

Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
lava and bears and wild horses, though.....that sure sounds like he _wants_ everyone to think he's risking his life.

He does though now there are a bunch of behind the scenes where they show all the people involved and how they contribute to the safety. He apologized and everything for the bullshit that the first season was.

Quote:
by the way, vis-a-vis the robinson crusoe is actually on hawaii thing - anyone remember the alton brown show, on shipwreck-survival cooking? now _that_ was educational!

I loved Alton Brown!! I liked the one on beef jerky too where he showed how to make a meal out of it like cowboys did. I don't know if I would ever make it but it was very cool.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiki wrote:
Before each show the crew does about a week of reconnaissance, followed by Grylls doing a flyover of the terrain. Grylls then undergoes two days of intensive survival briefings. "I spend two days on location prior to dropping in I go through all the safety and comms briefing as well as being briefed on local conditions, and flora and fauna by local rangers and a local bushcraft expert."

Flora and fauna are described along with local conditions and how to use them to your advantage.

That isn't education?

Alton Brown has a background in science, he's going to be more informative.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
And I don't know any other way to say that lassoing a tame horse while saying it isn't a tame horse is LYING.

Or for fuck's sake, a man in a bear costume while implying that it is a real bear is LYING.

I don't really expect him to put himself in real harms way but ^that is a good reason for people thinking he is a dick.

I never believe what I watch on TV without confirming it myself.

All reality TV shows are scripted you know.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the point of an educational show if you are just going to go research the same topic all over again?
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entertainment
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Flora and fauna are described along with local conditions and how to use them to your advantage.

That isn't education?

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Entertainment.

These things are not the same. It may be entertaining to say eating those red berries gives you better night vision but if it actually poisons you, it may be entertaining but not educational. If it is educational, it should also be entertaining but also _accurate_. One judges shows on the education while making sure the entertainment factor helps people to learn the content.

Once the entertainment factor becomes more important than the education, the educational label must be removed. Therefore if you are saying Man vs Wild is just for entertainment, why do you give a shit that I complain about its educational bullshit?

Mizike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get back to Thy's position on vital fluids?
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, this is the guy in the anti-perspirant ad with the meat ponchos, right? He has his own show? the hell?
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

That isn't education?

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Entertainment.

These things are not the same. It may be entertaining to say eating those red berries gives you better night vision but if it actually poisons you, it may be entertaining but not educational. If it is educational, it should also be entertaining but also _accurate_. One judges shows on the education while making sure the entertainment factor helps people to learn the content.

Once the entertainment factor becomes more important than the education, the educational label must be removed. Therefore if you are saying Man vs Wild is just for entertainment, why do you give a shit that I complain about its educational bullshit?

Because I find education entertaining.

It is only watchable because the facts he provides about flora and fauna can be verified.

Almost exactly like why people watch Myth Busters.

Part of the charm of myth busters is in fact finding flaws in their reasoning.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an idiot for responding as much as I did. Sigh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: