welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bear Grylls is a pandering wannabe.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6514

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found it entertaining at least, Las.

Not educational, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3576
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
Flora and fauna are described along with local conditions and how to use them to your advantage.

That isn't education?

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Entertainment.

These things are not the same. It may be entertaining to say eating those red berries gives you better night vision but if it actually poisons you, it may be entertaining but not educational. If it is educational, it should also be entertaining but also _accurate_. One judges shows on the education while making sure the entertainment factor helps people to learn the content.

Once the entertainment factor becomes more important than the education, the educational label must be removed. Therefore if you are saying Man vs Wild is just for entertainment, why do you give a shit that I complain about its educational bullshit?



If I recall, you weren't complaining about education at all.

You complained about lying. I explained that the TV series was made not to communicate reality, merely facts.

Discovery channel has classified this show as educational entertainment.

You can either believe them, or do what I do. Which is verify facts, something I do for fun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9559

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show is shit, it doesn't 'teach' you anything, and it actually propagates false and bizarrely counterproductive notions about how to handle wilderness travel and/or survival situations and the conservation of energy, and Grylls should be ashamed for producing so much televised shit. It's so bad it has actually legitimately endangered children because they watched his show and tried to imitate his Survival Facts™ as demonstrated and went off trail and actually literally made it more likely that they would have died before help found them.

in the texas desert episode he concocts the worlds stupidest plan to "parkour" across the desert at something like 110 degrees and then spends a while almost dying in a harebrained experiment involving rappelling between two mounds he could have walked around. In the wide open fucking desert.

I even already talked about it here

Quote:
Literally at one point he went from expressing how the desert must have been around 110 degrees, to an action-sequence where he tried to demonstrate how Parkour is an effective way to bound from rock to rock and increase the speed and efficiency of surviving hot deserts.

Yes, start racing and jumping around on rocks in a 110 degree desert survival situation. brilliant. remember: if lost in a desert, speed is your most valuable asset. If you race REALLY FAST out of the desert, you won't have to worry about water or the conservation of energy. start running. START RUNNING


asldfkjhsflasdkjfh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3576
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear wrote:
"I suppose to bear in mind that this is a worst-case scenario show, and therefore, of course things have to be planned. Otherwise, it would just be me in the wild and nothing happening, you know, ’cause textbook survival says you land, you get yourself comfortable, you wait for rescue, you don’t do anything. It would be a very boring show.



Why is this so hard to understand?

I literally explained just a few posts before that the only redeeming information provided by the show is the description of flora and fauna, and local conditions.

You watch this to be entertained.

That is the point of watching it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9559

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that's not supposed to be a response to my post (surprise surprise, it's unclear)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17309
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that may work for you, since you say you research everything that the show says. but i suspect the majority of the audience does not. and having _some_ things that are factual, and a bunch of other that aren't is actually more dangerous than having everything being clearly Not To Be Taken Seriously - because knowing that some things are true makes people think everything he says is true.

and as sam pointed out - children watch this. children are really not researching what he say - they say "hey, that bear guy did this!" - and they go out and do it.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3576
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's dangerous territory you're going into here mouse, because if you start saying that children are affected by the things they watch, you can give credibility to statements about kids who start becoming more violent by playing violent video games.

Either way, it is the parent's responsibility to control the things their children watch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yorick



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 12101
Location: In the undersnow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only watch Mythbusters for the breaking of shit and the 'splosions.
_________________
Currently experiencing: not summer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9559

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
and as sam pointed out - children watch this. children are really not researching what he say - they say "hey, that bear guy did this!" - and they go out and do it.


The children are kind of a fringe concern anyway. Really he's just part of a wider collection of things which are giving people a really bizarre and useless estimation of how to handle yourself out in the wild. Like, I watched a very bizarre set of arguments about Everest, how people just legitimately did not understand how if you're up in the death zone, and you can't carry yourself down the mountain, you're dead. Nobody can stop to help you. If they try, they're almost assuredly going to just end up dead themselves.

That's okay cause like 99% of these people aren't ever going to set foot off the grid unless it's into a nice pretty little camping spot next to the ranger trailer, but hey, there's that 1% and also it's just nice to not help us be so retarded at nature hooray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17309
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
That's dangerous territory you're going into here mouse, because if you start saying that children are affected by the things they watch, you can give credibility to statements about kids who start becoming more violent by playing violent video games.

Either way, it is the parent's responsibility to control the things their children watch.


of course children are "affected" by the things they watch - that's how children learn to do things. they model their behavior on the behavior they see.

i'm not going to get into an argument about violent video games, i don't know enough about them.

and even a parent who monitors what their children watch might get fooled by gryll's schtick - hey, it's an outdoor show! it teaches survival!
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3576
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Everest without having done your own extensive research about mountain climbing and snow conditions and rely only on sparse or misleading information from a tv show, then it's your own damn fault if you die.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3576
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Aren't kids fooled by society all the time. Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
That's dangerous territory you're going into here mouse, because if you start saying that children are affected by the things they watch, you can give credibility to statements about kids who start becoming more violent by playing violent video games.

Either way, it is the parent's responsibility to control the things their children watch.


of course children are "affected" by the things they watch - that's how children learn to do things. they model their behavior on the behavior they see.

i'm not going to get into an argument about violent video games, i don't know enough about them.

and even a parent who monitors what their children watch might get fooled by gryll's schtick - hey, it's an outdoor show! it teaches survival!



Honestly, if I had kids, I wouldn't let them watch the show, he gets naked much too often, and that's one schtick too many if you ask me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arc Tempest



Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 4906
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for getting paid to say stupid shit that can get ignorant people killed!

(I really hope Bear Grylls gets mauled by something, bear, lion, redneck, whatever.)
_________________
The older I get, the more certain I become of one thing. True and abiding cynicism is simply a form of cowardice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6514

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got part way through trying to make a flow chart of this conversation before it gave me a headache and the urge to run around in 110 heat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3576
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Yay for getting paid to say stupid shit that can get ignorant people killed!

(I really hope Bear Grylls gets mauled by something, bear, lion, redneck, whatever.)


Bear and son wrote:



I don't really have a problem with Grylls myself. He seems like a nice guy.

He's doing what he has to do to captivate an audience that craves explosions and action movies. Otherwise, few would watch the channel.

If you wanna blame someone, blame the audience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group