welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of the Drug War: Mexico and the Cartels
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pot isn't even where they get their shitloads of money from, since there's still a homegrown market in the united states. It's mostly from things like coke.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Michael wrote:
Uhm. Legalising marijuana in the states, not in mexico, would mean the US has to grow their own shit. I'm guessing the best place to do this would be down near the mexican border. Existing farms etc would be converted as you'd create this instant high profit giant hole in the market. Wouldn't this be an invitation to the organised mexican cartels to become the #1 texas maffia?

You can pretty much grow pot anywhere. And I'm guessing a shift in drug policy would weaken the cartels. Combine that with a renewed focus on shutting them down and maybe we'll eventually get rid of them or cut them down to manageable size.

yeah pot grows so easy there is little reason to worry about organized crime if it is legal.

I mean, the biggest reason we a problem with organized crime here is because it isn't actually legal. Smalltime growers get shut down or robbed (and can't step to the police) so the only ones remaining are the heavy hitters who care little about laws.

Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, basically the Small Guys get strongarmed out of the business by the Big Guys, who have the Big Guns. Then the old Big Guys get pushed out by the New Big Guys because the New Big Guys are willing to kill, rape, and torture and have no qualms or reservations with just murdering any opposition they can get their hands on.

Fast forward to today and well
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only legal on state farms, no? But they don't supply nearly enough, so coffeeshops supplement it by buying illegal drugs as well. Once they're in the coffeeshops, they're legal anyway. At least, that's what I heard.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you come see for yourself?
Take a trip to amsterdam
maybe meet up with some friends...
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:

Also, waffleimages only works on Something Awful or what? It's down, either way.

I guess. The full post is yonder:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3380188:
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

christ, you weren't lying about those images. goddamn.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and the really horrific part about it is that it's just so .. commonplace, now, because the zetas have learned that being sadistic sociopathic fucks and leaving butchered, tortured, mutilated bodies everywhere (especially when it's obvious how horrific and painful you died Hostel-style, like being stuffed in a barrel and have acid poured in) serves their interests quite well because they want to intimidate everyone and make SURE you know what's up if you ever get in their way, see something you aren't supposed to see, or deal with anyone they dislike, or if you're related to anyone who does anything they dislike. Family members and children of high ranking police, for instance.

Countless tens of thousands of people just killed everywhere by the cartels and their enforcers. Once totally peaceful cities now looking all Mad Max style. I never heard about this in the news at all, it was just when two people who worked for me asked if they could get their family members work somehow, because they're fleeing. They have to get into the united states or they're just going to die sometime soon. Just for nothing, just for being in the wrong place in one of the hellhole sections of Mexico.
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only heard about stuff like this from threads on Something Awful and the occasional story on Al Jazeera. I get the feeling American news only focusses on the border and it only comes up when border agents get shot or in the form of "Damn IMMIGRANTS". But frankly, calling them immigrants is just wrong. They're refugees.

Other than that, the occasional paper will write a story when things get exceptionally bad. Like the 30.000 deaths in x years story. That popped up in several places. But most of the time, it's stories about how desperate the situation is and a lot of lamenting about how horrible the drug trafficking world is. The solution that's staring them in the face: legalise drugs, crack down on the guns being smuggled across the American border, crack down on the American banks that launder the cartels' money.
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also literally destroy the DEA, CIA, FBI and ATF
andrew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I really want to know: is this going to fuck with my vacation in Puerto Vallarta?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends, on a scale of 1 to 10, how tolerant are you of roving death squads and mutilated corpses?
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: good ol capitalism Reply with quote

It is generally accepted that the US allows the cartels to exist to guarantee the cheap labor needed to sustain "growth" in the economy.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
All I really want to know: is this going to fuck with my vacation in Puerto Vallarta?

I just want know how this will affect the plot of Breaking Bad.

/flippant
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Yeah and the really horrific part about it is that it's just so .. commonplace, now, because the zetas have learned that being sadistic sociopathic fucks and leaving butchered, tortured, mutilated bodies everywhere (especially when it's obvious how horrific and painful you died Hostel-style, like being stuffed in a barrel and have acid poured in) serves their interests quite well because they want to intimidate everyone and make SURE you know what's up if you ever get in their way, see something you aren't supposed to see, or deal with anyone they dislike, or if you're related to anyone who does anything they dislike. Family members and children of high ranking police, for instance.

Countless tens of thousands of people just killed everywhere by the cartels and their enforcers. Once totally peaceful cities now looking all Mad Max style. I never heard about this in the news at all, it was just when two people who worked for me asked if they could get their family members work somehow, because they're fleeing. They have to get into the united states or they're just going to die sometime soon. Just for nothing, just for being in the wrong place in one of the hellhole sections of Mexico.

I ask this in all seriousness since I'm confident you just might be the person who could answer this: how like is some type of armed conflict? how long until? could the result be possible annexation, even if as a territory?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: