welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nurse strangles man, a story in two parts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Nurse strangles man, a story in two parts Reply with quote

PART THE FIRST: 3:36 p.m. EDT, September 8, 2006

Quote:
Nurse, 51, kills intruder with bare hands

PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) -- A nurse returning from work discovered an intruder armed with a hammer in her home and strangled him with her bare hands, police said.

Susan Kuhnhausen, 51, ran to a neighbor's house after the confrontation Wednesday night. Police found the body of Edward Dalton Haffey 59, a convicted felon with a long police record.

Police said there was no obvious sign of forced entry at the house when Kuhnhausen, an emergency room nurse at Providence Portland Medical Center, got home from work shortly after 6 p.m.

Under Oregon law people can use reasonable deadly force when defending themselves against an intruder or burglar in their homes. Kuhnhausen was treated and released for minor injuries at Providence.

Haffey, about 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, had convictions including conspiracy to commit aggravated murder, robbery, drug charges and possession of burglary tools. Neighbors said Kuhnhausen's size -- 5-foot-7 and 260 pounds -- may have given her an advantage.

"Everyone that I've talked to says 'Hurray for Susan,' said neighbor Annie Warnock, who called 911.

"You didn't need to calm her. She's an emergency room nurse. She's used to dealing with crisis."

Crazy, huh?

Ok, wait for it

wait for it

PART THE SECOND:
6:31 a.m. EDT, September 16, 2006

Quote:
PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) -- When Susan Kuhnhausen returned home from work one day earlier this month, she encountered an intruder wielding a claw hammer. After a struggle, the 51-year-old nurse fended off her attacker by strangling him with her bare hands.

Neighbors praised the woman for her bravery, and investigators said they believed the dead man -- Edward Dalton Haffey -- was burglarizing Kuhnhausen's home.

But after an investigation, police now say the intruder Kuhnhausen strangled was apparently a hit man hired by her estranged husband -- Michael James Kuhnhausen Sr. -- to kill her.

The 58-year-old husband was taken into custody Thursday and charged with conspiracy to commit murder and attempted murder. He was ordered held on $500,000 bail.

Haffey had worked as a custodian under Kuhnhausen at an adult video store, according an affidavit filed by the Multnomah County District Attorney's office.

Kuhnhausen and his wife were in the process of getting a divorce, and she told officers "her husband was distraught about the divorce and wanting to reconcile but that she was insisting on the divorce," the affidavit states.

A background check showed Haffey had served lengthy prison terms for conspiracy to commit aggravated murder and convictions for robbery and burglary.

Inside a backpack Haffey left at the scene was a day planner with "Call Mike, Get letter," scribbled on the week of September 4, the affidavit said. Michael Kuhnhausen's cell phone number was jotted on the inside of a folder, it said.

An emergency room nurse who lives in a southeast Portland neighborhood, Susan Kuhnhausen arrived home on the evening of September 6 to find Haffey coming at her with a claw hammer.

She was struck in the head and wrested the weapon away, but the struggle continued and Haffey bit the nurse, according to police. A large woman, she was eventually able to get the slight Haffey into a chokehold and police later found him dead in a hallway. An autopsy revealed the cause of death as strangulation.

Police say she acted in self-defense.

There was no sign of forced entry into the home, but according to the affidavit, Susan Kuhnhausen offered an explanation for the lack of evidence of a break-in: Her estranged husband had the security codes for the home's alarm system, and would have been able to disarm it.

Michael Kuhnhausen denies any involvement, the affidavit states.

Susan Kuhnhausen was out of town attending a nursing conference and did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

She left this message on her voicemail: "I'm not able to answer all the calls that I've received in the past few days. I'm being comforted by your concern and your support. I want you to know that our lives are all at risk for random acts, but more likely random acts of love will come your way than random acts of violence."
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"...but more likely random acts of love will come your way than random acts of violence..."
Aw, doesn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to hear a bare handed killer such things?
Kilgore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you're not condemning the woman.

-Slick
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's more PT1: The Burglar -- nonono WAIT PT2: The HITMAN!
Dro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self: ask hit man not to write your name and number in his day planner.
kame

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to dead attacker: come at 260 lb, oldschool (you know, back when they held down psychotics) nurse with more than claw hammer. esp when you only weigh 180 lbs.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: you like that i made it up on the spot Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Note to self: ask hit man not to write your name and number in his day planner.

It's a little much to be asking of the fellows at the discount hit-man shop that the hubby must have been shopping at.

"EARL'S DISCOUNT WETWORK: WHERE LIFE IS CHEAP"
Kilgore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
i think it's more PT1: The Burglar -- nonono WAIT PT2: The HITMAN!

My response was specifically to TVH. Sorry, I should have quoted him.

-Slick
Omega F

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: you like that i made it up on the spot Reply with quote

Sam wrote:

"EARL'S DISCOUNT WETWORK: WHERE LIFE IS CHEAP"

This is the best ever. Go home everyone, Sam wins.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this thread as "Nurse strangles man in two!" As in strangled so much he was cleft in twain.
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Surely you're not condemning the woman.
Not condemning, hell no.
I'd've done the same in her postion.
Just pointing out that she killed someone, with her bare hands, and delivered a warm and fuzzy comment.

Perhpas a sound bite such as; "Well, maybe she just HUGGED him to death" would've been more required as a first responce?

Also, whoo no sleep in 48 hours. This is a bad idea.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Victim Here wrote:
And don't call me Shirley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: