welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The ONA: the inadvertant diet coke of evil...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterMorality

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: The ONA: the inadvertant diet coke of evil... Reply with quote

I'm a researcher into the Occult and Magick and esoterica, and all of that good stuff, in my spare time; it's one hobby among many. I'm reading a book called 'Naos'.

Naos is a Grimoire published by Satanic group 'The Order of Nine Angles', thought to be a fairly 'hardcore' and serious sect of Satanism. They have publicly distanced themselves from things like LaVeyan style Satanism, deeming it to be watered down philosophy, etc. So they've set themselves up on quite the pedestal.

I'm roughly halfway through Naos and it's difficult to take seriously. I can see where they're going with what they're doing, I can connect the few dots I have over this rather large subject, it makes sense to me. But I just can't take these people seriously.

If you are going to publish a Grimoire, a book in which you outline and delve into your knowledge and philosophies of this type of thing, a book which essentially your public face, then you'd better damn well get an editor, hadn't you? Or, at the very least, give it a going over, a second and third draft, etc. The ONA have not. There are many spelling errors. There are many grammatical errors. There are many layout errors. And there are many general errors. This Grimoire isn't exactly lengthy: totals 166 pages.

Added to this, the constantly banging on about how everythign must be 'Sinister'.
The Sinister way, and the Sinister philosophies and the Sinister paths, games, plushies, t shirts, bumbags...
Everything about these guys is 'Sinister'. And while they may be Satanic, the whole thing doesn't do them any favours. This is why LaVey got some acceptance: he didn't bang on about being evil and sinister and whatever. The only effect that constantly repeating 'oh em gee, sinister!' has, is that it makes them sound like a bunch of none-too-bright fifteen year old boys who have watched one too many horror films and are just out to make a poor attempt at shocking people.

These guys remind me of Sinfest's Lil' Evil, but without the plus of being amusing.

Last edited by MasterMorality on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, do these guys actually worship Lucifer as the Father of This World, or are they just posing? Aside from all the "sinister" in their works, what does their philosophy actually have to say about right, wrong, living with others, finding satisfaction and contentment in life, appeasing whatever gods they hold sacrosanct, etc.? Do they have an actual theology, or are they just reaching for shock-value?
MasterMorality

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Well, do these guys actually worship Lucifer as the Father of This World, or are they just posing? Aside from all the "sinister" in their works, what does their philosophy actually have to say about right, wrong, living with others, finding satisfaction and contentment in life, appeasing whatever gods they hold sacrosanct, etc.? Do they have an actual theology, or are they just reaching for shock-value?

It seems to be fairly traditional Satanic ideology.
Nietzschean self betterment, crush those who oppose you, etc. I can understand that, and it's something I practice myself, although I'm an atheist. They do seem to actually believe in Lucifer, alongside other entities, but it doesn't come off as much more than '"We're trying to make a name for ourselves as being hardcore...."
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satanism (LaVeyist or otherwise) is kind of like jam-packing three things together.

1. Practically Objectivist 'fuck you got mine' egoism

2. Silly hypocritical superstition

3. Masturbatory shock counterculturism
nathan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that as if objectivism isn't masturbatory.

The term "Randy" didn't coalesce out of the euphemistic ether, ya know.
MasterMorality

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Satanism (LaVeyist or otherwise) is kind of like jam-packing three things together.

I'd say the first two can be attributed to any kind of religious belief.
E-boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still digesting "Researcher into the occult".
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a phd. and 6% baby souls for breakfast!
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterMorality wrote:

Very, very few religions delve into rational egoism. Not least to that degree.

And what makes Satanism's superstitions particularly hypocritical is that a lot of the humanist elements of the church make the case that gods are all bullshit and so are the wacky rituals and performances and sacraments we perform for them, but we're different, because we dispense with that sort of nonsense as an anti-church!

Then, once you get into the echelons of the church, there's (surprise!) wacky rituals and performances and shit.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterMorality wrote:
Sam wrote:

Especially Buddhism. Those guys are all, "fuck anyone else, I got my enlightenment! I'll be at peace with the universe and you can go fuck yourselves!" Bodhisattvas, with their vows to remain in Samsara (the wheel of suffering) until every living thing attains enlightenment, are a bunch of selfish dickwads.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Bodhisattvas, ... are a bunch of selfish dickwads.

Maybe, but they sure get better press than you or I.
MasterMorality

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
I'm still digesting "Researcher into the occult".

Why is that such a difficult thing to comprehend...?
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last guy to legitimately claim that lived next door to Rusty Venture
Mini J

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: The ONA: the inadvertant diet coke of evil... Reply with quote

MasterMorality wrote:
Everything about these guys is 'Sinister'.

I'm more interested in the fact that they're all apparently left-handed.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the right hand is always busy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: